hey ug
i was wondering if there was any difference between a licensed floyd rose trem, and the original version
cos the original one is like 300$ and the licensed are like 60-100$
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Im not a expert but I have the cheaper one and they stay in tune, but the real floyed should sound lots better
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
thats the thing
they do stay in tune, and how can it sound better if all it does is raise or lower pitch
so y is it so dam expensive
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
OFRs are made by floyd rose the company, and are very high quality.

LFRs are made by the company that made your guitar and are generally lower quality but some, like the Ibanez ZR are still very good.
They don't "sound" better, and they both stay in tune, but the original uses higher quality components, lesser risk of wear and tear, the trem arm can lock in place properly without falling off, stuff like that.
so would it b wise to get an original floyd installed?
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
If you get an lfr get the one made by schaller. Thats probably the best licensed one you'll find.
If you got the extra cash, go for it. But don't take a loan in the house just for it :p
were could u get a OFR?
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
If you use it a lot, yes, the one in the Alexi-200 is not a BAD trem, but if your using it as much as Kerry King, you may want to drop an OFR in there.
my only problem with it is that the arm always falls off
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
the biggest part is the knife edges, OFR they dont wear nearly as quick LFR they usually wear within 2-4 years and will have to be replaced. that and the plate that the trem floats on on LFR will become soft and bend alot easier and quicker than OFR, overall its just quality, and most LFR are asian made and OFR are either german or american made.
The cheaper ones are made of cast steel and say they are licensed, the Original says Floyd Rose on it and is full hardend steel, (they just heat the cast steel up and let it cool down, which makes it stronger.) Most Orinigals are a little bigger than most licensed because the licesnsed are normally modeled after the Schaller licensed. But in the modern day most people find that the Original Floyd Roses quality is deteriorating and are basically an expensive good licensed one. A licensed one is yes about 60-100, an original however is like 170-200 depending on colour. There is also the Floyd Rose Ping, its just like the original and it says Floyd Rose on it and it retails for about 140 with a brass block. Most people now recommend Gotoh Locking Tremolos, they have hardended steel pivot points but are soft steel else where which makes it sound wammer because soft/cast steel is warmer sounding than hardened steel. It also has a brass sustain block which further warms the tone. It retails at about 140.00 with a locking nut which is sold separetly.

Heres links to some common ones
Floyd Rose Original
Floyd Rose Special (licensed)
Floyd Rose Licensed (modeled after the Schaller style)
Gotoh Locking Tremolo and the 41mm nut for the Gotoh (equivialent to the Flloyd Rose Original R2 nut)
TRS licensed Floyd Rose
Ping Floyd Rose (licensed)

Theres different variants on the market such as the low pro or licensed "pro"versions but I wont bother linking them, they can be found on guitar parts depot. They just have a lower profile than the original, because the whale tale is seated lower than on the original.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
at them sounding the same and at (cheapo) licensed trems holding tuning as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
And a $150 Epiphone Les Paul is just as good as a $1000 Gibson Les Paul, so why bother.... right?
Just ordered a new black Original German Floyd mere minutes ago.. $179 + shipping.