So, has anyone checked out these new Haze amps? They're all tube amps, and pretty affordable. They've got a 40W combo amp and a 15W head that I've been looking at that sound pretty nice for only being about 600 bucks! I'm looking to get some real tone out of an affordable amp (my first, and current, amp is a spider II 30W... enough said), and this seems like a great place to look. What do you guys think about em?
I've never played one before. I've heard both good and bad things from people who have. To be honest, I get nervous when you combine Marshall and a low price like that. Makes me assume the worst that they crapped out the quality to make a cheap tube amp.
I've only heard demo's and too me it sounded like an MG with tubes, look somewhere else.But I can't be sure unless I tried it.
i just checked out some videos of them and they sound pretty solid. good cleans and solid dirty. in my opinion, way better than a line6 amp that makes every guitar sound exactly the same
In my opinion, they have decent tone, but from most of the videos I've watched, they sound like they have a blanket over the amp. The tone doesn't seem like it's something that would cut through well.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
I haven't tried one myself, but I've been asking my local shops if they're going to get some in at any point. I'm sure Gabe will stop in here at some point, but I'll go ahead and point out one of the major things he said about the Haze. The cab isn't very high quality, and makes the haze sound horrible. Try hooking it up to a different cab, preferably a much higher quality cab to test it out.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Personally I prefer US-voiced amps, but I definitely intend to try one next time I stop somewhere that has them. They seems solid though, so I have high hopes.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Rhoads_1096
I've only heard demo's and too me it sounded like an MG with tubes, look somewhere else.But I can't be sure unless I tried it.

Pretty much dead-on. Played a few over the last couple of weeks and they're pretty crappy -- regardless of what Doug Aldrich says.

Very muddy sounding. Easy to use EFX, but pretty weak sounding. Lackluster crunch, fizzy OD. But hey...like Mr. Aldrich says, they are loud.

My conclusion, for the money, you can do better.
Quote by Shiromar
I haven't tried one myself, but I've been asking my local shops if they're going to get some in at any point. I'm sure Gabe will stop in here at some point, but I'll go ahead and point out one of the major things he said about the Haze. The cab isn't very high quality, and makes the haze sound horrible. Try hooking it up to a different cab, preferably a much higher quality cab to test it out.

I hooked the head up to my Avatar 2x12 and 4x12, and while it did sound better, it's still a pretty lame amp. IMHO. It's not much better than the MGs....
Quote by suhraddict
Pretty much dead-on. Played a few over the last couple of weeks and they're pretty crappy -- regardless of what Doug Aldrich says.

Very muddy sounding. Easy to use EFX, but pretty weak sounding. Lackluster crunch, fizzy OD. But hey...like Mr. Aldrich says, they are loud.

My conclusion, for the money, you can do better.

BUT THEY HAVE T3H LOW END BARK
^The new "Crushing overdrive!"?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I tried one. They're ok.... I wouldn't buy one. You can do alot better for the money.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Bold news
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
im interested in this as well,would it be loud enough for pub gigs and still have good quality cleans ?
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Marshall could put out anything that is somewhat affordable and the users here would scream "MG wiTH TOooo00Bzz!!!". Props to them for getting a more affordable tube amp. I havent heard one but I wouldnt doubt it would compete well against other budget tube amps like a Valveking.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Marshall could put out anything that is somewhat affordable and the users here would scream "MG wiTH TOooo00Bzz!!!". Props to them for getting a more affordable tube amp. I havent heard one but I wouldnt doubt it would compete well against other budget tube amps like a Valveking.

sadly, it does not, got home from playing one @ GC a little while ago, i don't like them, ill keep my peavey VK 212 thanks very much. i was really looking forward to a marshall that i might actually like the sound of, but i cant find one
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
sadly, it does not, got home from playing one @ GC a little while ago, i don't like them, ill keep my peavey VK 212 thanks very much. i was really looking forward to a marshall that i might actually like the sound of, but i cant find one

Ah well, I tried. Personally for pretty much anything over $500 Id scour craigslist for a used amp but thats just me.
I've tried both MGs. I see why poeple diss them. They have HORRIBLE cabs. Bad construction and ****ty speakers means it sounds boxy and undefined. The combo sounds much fizzier too.

But the head with the proper cab? GREAT amp. Easy to crank and with some bvolume those 6V6s gets a nice rounded tone. Here''s the classic raunchy Marshall crunch.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
I've tried both MGs. I see why poeple diss them. They have HORRIBLE cabs. Bad construction and ****ty speakers means it sounds boxy and undefined. The combo sounds much fizzier too.

But the head with the proper cab? GREAT amp. Easy to crank and with some bvolume those 6V6s gets a nice rounded tone. Here''s the classic raunchy Marshall crunch.

I suppose one could turn the 40w version into a head by way of a handy screwdriver, saws, and glue.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The sticker price is high, who knows what they will actually sell for in the US. They are out in Europe some have tried them. Of the videos I have seen I have mixed reviews. I did quite like a couple of them though. It may depend on what you play it through and how you personally like to eq an amp.

I look forward to it's release, an all tube british amp with effects? Could be pretty cool if the effects are half way decent.

It's not an MG with toobs, boobs, or n00bs. It's a Haze, let it stand or fall on it's own. You all look like idiots when you post that, just so you know.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I really disliked the one i played, i didn't get to try it with a different cab, as suggested by Gabel, but i still hated it.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by Gabel

What kind of cab would you suggest Gabe?

4x12? 2x12?

At the moment i'm looking at a lot of "mini" valve amp heads for practice (personal/band) so just considering all bases

In fact i'll just blurt it out, would it sound good connect to a 2x12 with G12T-75's in?

To totally honest i'll probably end up buying a Telecaster...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by gregs1020
The sticker price is high, who knows what they will actually sell for in the US. They are out in Europe some have tried them. Of the videos I have seen I have mixed reviews. I did quite like a couple of them though. It may depend on what you play it through and how you personally like to eq an amp.

I look forward to it's release, an all tube british amp with effects? Could be pretty cool if the effects are half way decent.

It's not an MG with toobs, boobs, or n00bs. It's a Haze, let it stand or fall on it's own. You all look like idiots when you post that, just so you know.

The combo sells for $699 here in NC -- they've been in stock for quite a few weeks now. It's pretty weak amp (although much better than an MG) and the effects aren't very good, although the head sounds OK through a quality cabinet. IMO, however, the Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo blows the Haze away (even though it is only 15W and has no effects) and is $200 less.
Last edited by tastytone at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by tastytone
The combo sells for $699 here in NC -- they've been in stock for quite a few weeks now. It's pretty weak amp (although much better than an MG) and the effects aren't very good, although the head sounds OK through a quality cabinet. IMO, however, the Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo blows the Haze away (even though it is only 15W and has no effects) and is $200 less.

There are some good low wattage heads on the market here in the US as well as overseas. The HT-5h rocks for the cash. I haven't tried the Blackheart but suspect it's a great amp considering I haven't heard one person really dog the thing. Still, I look forward to trying the Haze.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Chrisiphone
What kind of cab would you suggest Gabe?

4x12? 2x12?

At the moment i'm looking at a lot of "mini" valve amp heads for practice (personal/band) so just considering all bases

In fact i'll just blurt it out, would it sound good connect to a 2x12 with G12T-75's in?

To totally honest i'll probably end up buying a Telecaster...

Well you have a great Marshall, don't get a Haze, that JCM is superior...

Well I tried it with a Marshall 425 (Vintage Modern) with Greenbacks. A 1x12 or a 2x12 would be the best. I'm not very keen on G12T-75s. I think Greenback or a Celestion G12H30 are the ones to go with, they hav eenough midrange

Quote by tastytone

Yeah the Handsome Devil combo is WAY superior. Volumewise there is little difference. I find the head is the Haze worth getting: The 6V6 fits the amp better and doesn't have the god awful cab.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by GuitarDTO

Exactly. Against other tube amps in this price range, its hard to find something comparable to its tone, despite being a little lack-luster. Guitar Center's got a mini half-stack package with the 15W head for $800. About $200 more than its worth, I'd say. True, this amp is nothing compared to stuff like Marshall's JVM series. But it also doesn't cost 2000 dollars. I think I'll wait awhile for a few used ones to roll around, hopefully around the 500 dollar price range if im lucky. And as far as the weak distortion goes, thats what pedals are for.
Quote by Gabel
Well you have a great Marshall, don't get a Haze, that JCM is superior...

Well I tried it with a Marshall 425 (Vintage Modern) with Greenbacks. A 1x12 or a 2x12 would be the best. I'm not very keen on G12T-75s. I think Greenback or a Celestion G12H30 are the ones to go with, they hav eenough midrange

Ahhh I wondered if you'd pickup on that little amp in my signature

It's a great amp but I just wish I could use it generally without sacrificing animals/people/neighbours in a 1 mile radius!

I'd love to try it through both greenbacks and vintage 30's. See what sizzles for a more vintage classic hard rock sound.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page