Poll: Which is better?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is better?
MIM Fender Jazz Bass
27 56%
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
21 44%
Voters: 48.
Which would you prefer to have? Assuming the Mexican is maybe, $50-$75 cheaper. Im just starting out on the bass, and itd probably be more of a hobby than anything serious. Any thoughts and opinions would help! thanks guys
The Fender Jazz Standard (the Mexican one) is much more expensive, not cheaper!

EDIT - we must also remember that if youre talking about a USED MIM bass, then it will most likely be the old version and will not have the new features on it that the 2009 models have!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Jul 17, 2009,
Might as well go for the VM. That way you can have a slightly better practice amp. If ti's true what you say, that the MiM is cheaper (if you didn't mix them up and found a deal or something) then the MIM is better.
I should have mentioned they're both used. Not sure how old the Mexican but the vm is a year old I believe. They are deals I found, so no I didn't mix up the prices. I think I'm gonna go for the Mexican, but if anyone has strong arguements against it I'd be happy to hear them
VM jazz, unless the MIM plays really good
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
i would go for the MIM eithier way but that MO.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
MIM has better resale. good move for a beginner.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
sweet, thanks guys for the help. Im gonna pick up the jazz bass tomorrow
Quote by Captain Insano
Alder > Maple

MIM wins!

Hang on, in what world does that make sense?
They have different tones, which you may like or dislike, but if anything, maple is a more valuable and sought after wood.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Hey slight threadjack but I was looking to upgrade from a Standard Squier Jazz to a MIM Fender Jazz which I can get for aroun 530euro which is around 600 and something dollars? The Squier plays good so would the MIM be a good upgrade for that money? I won't get to play the Fender before I get it. Sorry
Originally Posted by JayLacelle
because UGers are smarter than the average human being
MIM will sell for more later,
but the VM is far superior in feel & playability and has great sound.
I'd personally go for the VM... maybe haggle it down a little?
Quote by slownightsolong
Hey slight threadjack but I was looking to upgrade from a Standard Squier Jazz to a MIM Fender Jazz which I can get for aroun 530euro which is around 600 and something dollars? The Squier plays good so would the MIM be a good upgrade for that money? I won't get to play the Fender before I get it. Sorry

That's quite off topic, but perhaps it'll save us another "which bass" thread, so I'll oblige you.

The MIM will be a significant upgrade from the squier, but the difference won't be gigantic, so I would stress that you try one before you shell out £450+ on a bass that will sound very similar to your old bass. Also remember to shop around a bit and make sure that this is definitely what you want, because you might find it more useful to have 2 basses with different functions than 2 that do basically the same thing.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Thanks, will try to try it put before I pay for anything!

Edit: I'm loving the avatar
Originally Posted by JayLacelle
because UGers are smarter than the average human being