I have a 1950s Kay Single Pickup Hollowbody guitar that I might need a new pickup for. Where could I buy one of these "kay bar" style pickups? I know SD Pickups has them, does anyone else?
You might try Eastwood Guitars/My Rare Guitars' ebay store. Mike Robinson just came out with a Roy Smeck signature reissue that has pickups like those, if I'm not mistaken. He might be selling some in his ebay store. I bought some humbuckers from him through that...
If you send me your broken pickup I'll fix it for you for free.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Sounds like a helluva deal for him. How do you profit?
A chance to study it, make measurements, pics, draw it up for reproductions?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I feel sure that that is the furthest thing from his mind

Still a good deal though...better than a good deal an much better than replacing it with a non original.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by CorduroyEW

that is a good deal there.

might I be so bold as to ask how the Charlie Christian pups are doing?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^I've got the design down and now I just need to save up some money for the tooling I need. Without the "proper" tools it takes me more than 8hrs for 1 pickup. With the right tools it'll bring production time down to about 2hrs per pickup and the finished product will look more professional.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Yup. Free repair work on vintage pickups is how I gain my knowledge of vintage pickups. You can't trust the stuff you read online because most of it's wrong.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by CorduroyEW
You can't trust the stuff you read online because most of it's wrong.

+1 this is true for celebrity rigs as well as anything re-issue. how is it a re-issue when leo fender doesn't even work there lol
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by CorduroyEW
^I've got the design down and now I just need to save up some money for the tooling I need. Without the "proper" tools it takes me more than 8hrs for 1 pickup. With the right tools it'll bring production time down to about 2hrs per pickup and the finished product will look more professional.

awesome. one of these days...

Yup. Free repair work on vintage pickups is how I gain my knowledge of vintage pickups. You can't trust the stuff you read online because most of it's wrong.

you should make an in depth online guide

or, you know, a 3 paragraph blog.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by CorduroyEW

Have you changed anything from the "original" design? If you get this set up for a good price you'll be nicking all of "CC Pickups" sales.

To the TS I'd take advantage of Chris' offer; you'll keep the original look of the guitar which (for me at least) is very important. I'll also throw Lollar into the mix; I would think he's made something like that at some point.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details