Ok so after my guitar teacher's place closed a while back she moved about 30 min away from where I live. Used to take about 3 min before and I don't think I can drive 30 minutes for a 30 minute lesson. And so I thought of another option. I thought of buying an instructional dvd. I'm maybe thinking a paul gilbert one because I want to practice and learn alternate picking stuff and practice and practice to become somewhat close to how fast and accurate he is.

Have any of you bought one of his DVDs and does it help?

It comes with tabs and stuff right?

Well if you can help me out with this that would be great.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by bfredder92
Ok so after my guitar teacher's place closed a while back she moved about 30 min away from where I live. Used to take about 3 min before and I don't think I can drive 30 minutes for a 30 minute lesson. And so I thought of another option. I thought of buying an instructional dvd. I'm maybe thinking a paul gilbert one because I want to practice and learn alternate picking stuff and practice and practice to become somewhat close to how fast and accurate he is.

Have any of you bought one of his DVDs and does it help?

It comes with tabs and stuff right?

Well if you can help me out with this that would be great.

You can actually find a lot of helpful video lessons on YouTube for free, but I prefer to watch rather then read for the guitar, its strangely easier.
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/11ioi8n.jpg[/IMG]
We all love the fail-tar!
Last edited by VocalValantine at Jul 17, 2009,
How long have you been playing TS?

Cause a Paul Gilbert DVD may be fairly pointless if you only have like 6 months behind you.
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell

Cause a Paul Gilbert DVD may be fairly pointless if you only have like 6 months behind you.

Heavens_To_Hell has a good point, like I said OP start out with the Youtube Lessons and when you consider yourself decent upgrade to the pro DVDS.
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell

I've been playin for about 2 years I know it doesn't sound like much but I just want to practice his style maybe do the exercises really slow and build up speed over time ya no.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by bfredder92
I've been playin for about 2 years I know it doesn't sound like much but I just want to practice his style maybe do the exercises really slow and build up speed over time ya no.

www.YouTube.com

Search whatever you would like to learn, if its not there, buy a DVD.

Quote by VocalValantine
www.YouTube.com

Search whatever you would like to learn, if its not there, buy a DVD.

well i know the dvd is probably on there but aren't the dvd's supposed to come with the tabs so you can play the exercises? Idk it makes it harder to just watch him play and not have what he's playing written in front of you. I tried guessing one time what he was playin and it didn't help me so much.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by i_don't_know
They help, but they don't work - the work is the part you have to do.

Too literal?

I know what you mean. I know the dvd aint gonna just make me a crazy guitarist after its done thats why i will practice the exercises to perfection.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
As a teacher, ill be honest and say you only need the occasional lesson to brush up with. Learn from all the free videos out there. Dont worry thinking omg i have so much to practice just make sure you include scales arpeggios some theory, solos, exercises etc and you will cover everything eventually. If you need free pointers, video yourself playing and players will tell you on youtube what you are doing wrong (there are a lot of idiots out there who dont have a clue what they are critiquing but if you take an average you will be fine).
Quote by ChromaKey21
As a teacher, ill be honest and say you only need the occasional lesson to brush up with. Learn from all the free videos out there. Dont worry thinking omg i have so much to practice just make sure you include scales arpeggios some theory, solos, exercises etc and you will cover everything eventually. If you need free pointers, video yourself playing and players will tell you on youtube what you are doing wrong (there are a lot of idiots out there who dont have a clue what they are critiquing but if you take an average you will be fine).
I already tried puttin videos up but a ton of the comments I get are negative and very unmotivating and yes very childish. And my audio i put up wasn't even bad for a years worth of playing and they still say it sucks. Now im tryin to learn stuff correctly and very slowly so i can do better and play much more fluently and cleaner
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt