I have no background with compressors whatsoever, i've never used one, but i kinda know what they do and I'm looking for that effect, so what do you guys recommend?

edit: can someone also tell me what the new hardwire series is?
edit2: can we keep it aorund 100 USD maybe?
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Last edited by lifesuckstomuch at Jul 17, 2009,
The keeley compressor is superb. Also, the hardwire series, I dunno about a new one but it's just digitech pedals with true bypass I think.
sweet! digitech wit tr00 bypass! im excited now
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Quote by nightraven
the hardwire compressors don't sound as nice as the keeley and analogman though (which are also TB if that means so much to you). the CMAT mods compressor is pretty good too. what's your budget?

i wasnt planning on getting a hardwire pedal, i just stumbled across it and was like, "wtf is this?"
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

o there's no hardwire compressor... yet
actually, musiciansfriend is behind, i've seen hardwire pedals that aren't offered on MF
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

of course not lol
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

i have the BYOC compressor kit, it is VERY nice, and cheap too.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
ok, let's narrow this down, how's the mxr Dynacomp? and what's some comparable compressors to it?
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

ok
sold dynacomp it is
lol (it's funny because i have no idea what im talking about and recieved god response about a rather cheap analog compressor)
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

It doesn't have to be expensive to be good.

I rather liked the sounds from the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus but it came with a bum input jack so I traded it in for the Fulltone pedals (plus some cash obv) and got the AnalogMan instead.

I'm still considering selling my OD 808 and getting a Route 808 instead because the buffer on that thing is awesome and I need a good buffered pedal in my chain.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'll second the Dyna Comp. Very vintage, warm-sounding compressor. Can get real squishy if you want it to. Pretty fun pedal, but not as fun as, say, a delay or fuzz.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Last edited by DoomsdayArsenal at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
i quite like the dynacomp. the older ones use different chips that sound slightly better. but they're crisp compressors.

I think the regular one goes for ~$100, but they have a 1987 one or something thats $90 more. You could probably find a used one cheaper than a reissue one.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
for $100 you could also look into the Comp66 from Visual Sound. its getting decent reviews. not as noisy as the Dyna Comp. of course they're both good for their price so it should just come down to your preference
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Look up R O Tiree retro comp. Awesome pedal! ....not under $100 though... but you'll never need another...
Fender Am. Dlx Strat HSS LT
Budda budwah
Fulltone OCD NEW!
Tonebone trimode
EB VP JR. NEW!
Boss TU-2 Tuner
TCE ND-1 nova delay
Voodoo Labs PP2+
Dimarzio Ygnwie, mogami gold, monster rock cables
BH little giant half stack
I dont know about the compressor but I tried the hardwire overdrive today and It was very good almost as good as the TS808 reissue but had more features
"Guitars are toys for me, too much fun all the time."-Paul Gilbert

Gear:
Homemade Mahogany Guitar with SD humbuckers
Carvin Legacy VL100 Head
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab with V30s
Line 6 Pod X3
I'm only here to bring Keeley back into the picture, but I like most of what's being said.