so... basically i can learn every riff i want to play in a few minutes (assuming its not shred or the sort) but i seem to be struggling with learning solos very much so, advice, i know playing it very slow is supposed to work but i dunno
everything purple tastes like grape
everything blue tastes like blueberry
everything pink tastes like watermelon
everything red tastes like strawberry
everything orange tastes like orange
everything yellow tastes like lemon
I find that it takes dedication to learn solos. You really have to want to learn it if it's hard. And remember that you don't need to learn them note-for-note since most performers change things up anyway. Have fun and add your own personal flare.
Just keep practising, if it's difficult you can make sections and first learn to play a section correct before moving on to the next one.. Don't mind for getting the exact same solo, put in a personal touch.. Otherwise you could get back to the roots and study some blues riffs or jazz music, I've learned a lot out of it..
Learn at your own pace. Instead of trying to learn a solo written by someone else, try to get a backing track and play your favorite scales over it (given that backing track matches that scale) http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/ has a ton of d/l able backing tracks. Pick a song that you know and are generally aware what scale it belongs to (multiple scales can work over simpler songs), and just jam over it!

And don't rush things, You'll never get it overnight, so go easy!
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
What you should try doing, is being able to hum the entire solo. Being able to hum the solos and riffs make playing easier since you have a feel for what comes next.

Also, chew gum, gum helps memory.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
just learn well, a dozen of good solos you really like and then start doing what some guys said - changing stuff in them, improvising over backing track and so on. you cant do it well if you dont play solos. you have to have some technique starting point and general idea of solo construction pattern or whatever it is, kind of a condfident feeling before you can improvise
Quote by Regensgeliebte
sir, what?

I cant explain it.. I recommend it to everyone and they swear it helps.. my mom learned it when in college for nursing and psychology (I forgot which class) as a way to help with memorization. It also works REALLY well at keeping you awake, but you cant stop chewing...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr