Poll: Which bass is better for stepping up from beginner?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which bass is better for stepping up from beginner?
The Ibanez
11 33%
The Fender
20 61%
I have a better suggestion (post)
2 6%
Voters: 33.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK300-Electric-Bass-?sku=511834
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-Standard-J-Bass?sku=517887

This isn't really something in the near future, seeing as I'm broke, and would get a new amp before a new bass anyways, but as far as stepping up from a beginner bass (Ibanez GSR 190), which would be the better of the two to choose? I play Punk, Grunge, Garage, some Alternative.... again, this isn't something in the near future, more curiousity than anything.
squier vintage modified 70s jazz bass

imo, better than any fender jazz i played (except MIA and Highway One) and half the price. best investment i ever made.

EDIT: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass?sku=519639
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Last edited by burgurhead1812 at Jul 17, 2009,
Jazz Bass, most definitely.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
I thought this thread was going to be about tuning up to F or F# or something

Fender all the way!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Fender, or the 70s VM squier
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
For what you want to play, the Ibanez.

But if it were me I'd probably get the Jazz.

stratkat
Quote by EuBoat
For what you want to play, the Ibanez.

I've seen J-basses in death metal, dude. They're probably the most versatile instruments I've ever seen
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Grunge, punk and garage are genres the ATK will probably be better than a Jazz. The ATK is also very versatile, so it'll be great as well, if you're playing something different
So unless you really want the "jazz-sound", get the ATk, imo.

You should check out both first, though. An ATK's neck is quite a bit thicker than a Jazz bass it's neck.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Ugh, confusing replies. So far, from what I've gathered, the Fender is the preferred of the two instruments, but the Ibanez is more recommended for me personally?
Quote by travislausch
I've seen J-basses in death metal, dude. They're probably the most versatile instruments I've ever seen
I know, right. I do own one and I play a fair bit of metal . But TS for the genres you said you play,
Punk, Grunge, Garage, some Alternative....
I think the punchier, thicker sound of the ATK would be more suited to you. I am not saying that the Jazz can't fit in those genres, but IMO the ATK is better for that sort of sound.

stratkat
The Fender, you get an iPod!!!
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
The Fender, you get an iPod!!!

??? explain that plum boy.

I'd get the jazz if it was me for those, mostly because from humbuckers I like to dial in a sharper sound than I do with single coils.

it depends all on you however, what do you want?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd get the ATK. It's got a much tighter feel than the jazz bass, especially with a maple neck. The switch on it also gives it a variety of tones adding to the flexibility of the bass. You can't go wrong with the ATK, it's one of the best basses for the money out there.
I also started on a GSR190.

This afternoon I went at my local music store and tried the ATK.

20 minutes later I decided to buy it, and I've been playing since

I just love it, it's really a huge upgrade, I knew it would be one, but I just didn't think it would be so much better. And I think it's quite versatile, with the bass/mid/treble boost/cut knobs and the pickup switch, but I've never played a jazz bass so my vision of versatility might not be totally right :p

The only advice I can give you is to try it, because it's a different feeling, but I don't think you'd be disappointed if you bought it blindly, especially considering the genres you're playing.
Last edited by Djaganath at Jul 18, 2009,