Over the summer holidays my bands going to be taking a break from practises, but we might have a few acoustic jams round somones house. I'll be playing an acoustic, my bass player will be on acoustic bass (will we need an amp for the bass? if so is a standard acoustic amp ok?).

Basicaly I was wondering a few things:

- Will the singer need to be miked up? (its fine if yes as said acoustic amp takes mikes and i have a mike)

and the main question:

- What should we put our drummer on? i could get a bongo if thats the best idea? or is something else better?

thanks
Just tell him to get some brushes and use them gently. That might do it, unless the drums would be too cumbersome to lug around everywhere. Otherwise, have him play whatever small drum he's comfortable with.
I play strictly acoustic and always have fun when my buddy gets on the djembe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djembe
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
The point of acoustic jams is that you don't need electric equipment. So no, you won't (shouldn't) need any of that.

Although if your singer isn't very loud, it might be an idea to bring a small preamp + speaker.

And put the drummer on whatever percussion is lying around. Be imaginative.
Quote by aidan the perso

- What should we put our drummer on?

Ecstasy.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Didgeridoo.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Tambourine, bongo and cowbell of course

Use brushes and dampen everything.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Tambourine, bongo and cowbell of course

Use brushes and dampen everything.

+1

as for the bass player, if it's an acoustic bass guitar he will more than likely need an amp unless it's one of those tacoma thunderchiefs because most acoustic bass guitars are built like an acoustic guitar with a bass neck so they're not very loud

if it's an upright then he definitely won't need an amp for what your doing
Wire brushes on a snare and cymbal or two work well.

Or tambourine, if that's your thing.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
hmm i think i'l have a look into one of these djembe things. does anyone know how much they go for?
Djembe models and prices:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=djembe

Don't know how to determine quality and all that jazz though, consult with your drummer
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
have him use a djembe or a cajon i use both and they work great for all sorts of acoustic playing that i do. even if you just use a small djembe you can get alot of good tonal quality out of a small djembe.
Djembe's are great. Anyone can learn them pretty quickly, and play along with a band. Easy to learn, hard to get really good at.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by joshua122593
Just do what Dave Grohl did in 1994.

Hit the drums lightly.

Dave Grohl... hit drums lightly
I didn't know he could do that.

"Intense yet intricate" Scottish melodeath band, who have been reviewed live by Terrorizer, Metalgigs and Valkyrian Music in the past year

Get our debut EP Helveien, for free download.
Can't believe nobody said a washboard yet. Washboards are awesome.
Ink does the body good
Quote by powerslave69
rain stick

Tap on his legs? snare and hats with brushes? hand drums?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
cajon

it's the second one on the list, sorry.
Quote by PhillyHendrix
I was thinking the same thing when I posted it!!

E-cookie for you! *Hands chicubswill an E-cookie*
Last edited by chicubswill at Jul 17, 2009,
Give him buckets and railings and make him play a ghetto beat
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
brushes, playing lightly.

unless he is your typical amateur drummer who is completely unable to play quietly. then just get rid of him.
I have no opinion on this matter.
get him a set of brushes and call it good.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.