When practicing exercises in a practice routine, how do you make it as effective as possible and really accomplish the goal of the exercise?
Keep doing it until you can play it with your eyes closed, then find a song that uses the new technique and learn the song. Then test yourself by composing something using the new technique.
Discipline? It is also better to play as often as possible, rather than playing like a whole day and then have a break for a couple of days, it is also important to play slow when begining an exercise and increase speed when you feel you can handle it.
Just some tips, hope they will help you.
Må Den Svarta Älgen Ta Er!
just practice slowly and increase speed in small increments when you feel you can play perfectly at the speed.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
I play it as slow as possible for a really long time, then i gradually increase with the metronome, then after a couple days the excercise seems really easy to play, after a couple days ill switch it up 3 days doing the same thing, 3 days just playing it as fast as i can and playing it at normal speeds making shure my technique is what i want it to be. Then once the routine becomes normal i incorperate it with my weekly routine and learn the next excercise... of course this can be used in with multiple exercises at one time, and taking 3 or 4 and doing this plan with them would do wonders if you had good determination.
Keep your fingers as close to the fretboard as you can, and play it slow with minimal movement and tension in both your picking arm/hand and your fretting hand.

Use a metronome to keep a solid tempo, and then gradually increase it.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE