Hello I'm new. Anyway, I've had the passion to play the bass for some time now, but I don't know where to start. The only former experience I've had was playing a trumpet for 2 semesters in school. I've been told by friends to start with the acoustic guitar, others have said to simply jump straight into bass, and few have even said to start with an electric guitar so I'd already have amp. Please, could anybody help me figure out where to start?
Start playing bass. Learn some root note song then slap then double thumb.
Oh masturbation works wonders
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
Listen to some of your favorite songs, but listen to the bass. Then look up the tabs and try to play them. If they are too hard, find something easier.
Just play whatever you want to play, **** what anyone else thinks you should do
Quote by system_cky
Start playing bass. Learn some root note song then slap then double thumb.
Oh masturbation works wonders

Have any suggestions for a first bass and amp?
Quote by gruntruck
Just play whatever you want to play, **** what anyone else thinks you should do

That really helps.
Quote by ImpStarJay
Listen to some of your favorite songs, but listen to the bass. Then look up the tabs and try to play them. If they are too hard, find something easier.

I've been doing that to the point that when i now listen to music the rhythm section stands out the most to my ears.
id say jump right into bass, but if you pick up a cheap acoustic guitar it will help get your fingers used to the strings and help callus them

go to musiciansfriend.com for a cheap bass amp their prices are incredible at least for the guitars, amps and cymbals i bought from them

and you can pick up a guitar amp and play bass through it, it will work youll just lose some tone that you would get in the bass amp
Quote by DavesCrusade

and you can pick up a guitar amp and play bass through it, it will work youll just lose some tone that you would get in the bass amp

Guitar and bass are pretty different, they look alot alike but dont start playing guitar if you wanna play bass. Just get a bass and play it.
Listen to songs you like, and play the bass parts. Look up Bass vids on youtube and leesons on Ultimate guitar and whamo you can play bass now.

to Daves : NO you CAN NOT play a bass through a guitar amp.
it WILL blow the amp.
guitar through a bass amp is ok, but not the other way around.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Just go buy a bass that feels comfortable and is cheap, and a cheap amp to start with . Or if you can borrow a bass ,even better and go for it.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Okay so the vibe I'm getting is that I should get a bass. The only thing holding me back is that I've been told that by learning to play an acoustic makes learning the basics of the bass much easier. That would be mean I'd have the knowledge of 2 instruments under my belt. Is the transition from guitar to bass really that easy and simple?
Quote by LaGrange
to Daves : NO you CAN NOT play a bass through a guitar amp.
it WILL blow the amp.
guitar through a bass amp is ok, but not the other way around.

It only blows if you have it too loud or play low notes too much. That doesn't mean that you should use a guitar amp over a bass amp however.
Quote by Confused777
Okay so the vibe I'm getting is that I should get a bass. The only thing holding me back is that I've been told that by learning to play an acoustic makes learning the basics of the bass much easier. That would be mean I'd have the knowledge of 2 instruments under my belt. Is the transition from guitar to bass really that easy and simple?

Moving from acoustic to bass seems rather stupid unless you're planning on playing bass acoustic style picking-wise. If you're planning on playing fingerstyle like most bassists do or with a pick then it would be a complete waste of time to play the acoustic beforehand.

Ignore double post.
Quote by edgeyyz
It only blows if you have it too loud or play low notes too much. That doesn't mean that you should use a guitar amp over a bass amp however.

True, i was just trying to warn him though. And a cheap bass amp would sound better than a cheap guitar amp of course.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Don't get a Guitar amp the speakers are not designed to handle bass frequencies and will destroy the speaker.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Quote by LaGrange
True, i was just trying to warn him though. And a cheap bass amp would sound better than a cheap guitar amp of course.

Definitely.
Quote by edgeyyz
Moving from acoustic to bass seems rather stupid unless you're planning on playing bass acoustic style picking-wise. If you're planning on playing fingerstyle like most bassists do or with a pick then it would be a complete waste of time to play the acoustic beforehand.

Ignore double post.

If so then how difficult is it to learn how to play guitar with the knowledge of how to play bass? I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I want to be sure of my decision.
Learning how to play guitar before a bass will teach you how to fret notes. I started out on an acoustic guitar while wanting to play electric. I wish I had started out on electric, but later I got both and then I got a bass. Playing guitar first makes for an easy transition into bass playing. My advice is to go ahead and get the bass since that is what you want to play. Going from bass to guitar would be easier than just starting on guitar, if you want to do that later. Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps.

By the way, the Ibanez IJXB190 electric bass jumpstart pack is what I got and it works well for me and it's not very expensive.
acoustic guitar?

really?

',:/

play bass. my sig contains a fine set up, well, what do you want to play, musically? why do you want to play?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'm not sure what I'd like to play, but I've always liked Classic, Hard, and Psychedelic Rock. I've also been broadening my horizon by listening to some funk, progressive, and punk.

Why do I want to play? I've always lived without much of a passion for anything, but ever since I was 13 or so I started to gain an appreciation, and later love, for music. I stopped listening to the top 40 crap and began listening to real stuff. I want to see if I can take my passion for music a step further by going from listener of it to performer.
When you listen to music, what instrument or section stands out the most to you?
The bass and drums stand out the most. The typical order would be:

1. Bass
2. Drums
3. Vocals
4. Guitar
Really... its never done that for me
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Using acoustic guitar technique on a bass is not advisable. I did this before I took lessons and it was one of the bad habits I had to break.
Quote by Confused777
The bass and drums stand out the most. The typical order would be:

1. Bass
2. Drums
3. Vocals
4. Guitar

Then you're probably more into the rhythm section. I'd say to go straight into bass, and move into guitar afterwards if you feel inclined to. I started on guitar and it was a huge change going to bass (which I prefer).

For a starting bass and amp, I'd suggest the Squier Vintage Mod. 70's Jazz ($300) and Acoustic B20 practice amp ($150). That's my favorite low-priced combo, and I think it could work for many genres.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Jul 19, 2009,
Ibanez is a good brand to look into for a beginner bass. If you tend to like fender basses I'd look into the Squier Vintage Modified series(squier basses are higher quality than their guitars) Mostly what you want to avoid are epiphone basses(some people like them but most don't due to neck dive and muddy tone)

As far as amps go look for acoustic brand amps. They're great for the money and very versatile. I'm a huge fan of peavey but their low end stuff doesn't seem on par with acoustic amps in terms of tone. Once you hit the mid range amps with peavey they're quite nice though. Stay away from Behringer at all costs. They rate their wattage in peak(all other brands list in RMS which is the actual wattage it can sustain) so you'd only get about half the wattage compared to other brands of amps. and they tend to break a lot too.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Thanks for all of your replies. Now all I have to do is get the money to afford all of this. Should I buy the bass and amp at the same time or buy the bass with a cheap practice amp and then get lessons?
Don't buy a bass without an amp. The reason I say this is that you will develop a very staccato playing style just so you can hear yourself play. Get a decent starter bass (check out the FAQ for some ideas) and a cheap practice amp to start. You can always upgrade the amp later on.

And yes, get some lessons. Even if for nothing else than to get you started right and get you started moving in the right direction in your playing.