Hey guys, I'm new to the forum...well, I'm new to guitars too. Got mine today, it's just a basic black and white Stratocaster. I'm a noob when it comes to the technical stuff but I think I got most of it down now...one thing I do need help with however is tuning.

I know how to tune it....but I dont know what to tune it to. I've checked out various tutorials and videos but it doesn't make sense to me when they refer to all the names for the strings and so on. What's the easiest way to tune it? I mean, I have a pitch pipe but it seems complicated.

Can anyone help me out here?
I would start by using an electronic tuner. A pitch pipe produces the note of a certain string when you hit it, so you need to match the notes by ear if you do it this way...difficult if your new to music
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by jackdaniels92
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum...well, I'm new to guitars too. Got mine today, it's just a basic black and white Stratocaster. I'm a noob when it comes to the technical stuff but I think I got most of it down now...one thing I do need help with however is tuning.

I know how to tune it....but I dont know what to tune it to. I've checked out various tutorials and videos but it doesn't make sense to me when they refer to all the names for the strings and so on. What's the easiest way to tune it? I mean, I have a pitch pipe but it seems complicated.

Can anyone help me out here?

1. Put pipe in mouth
2. Blow
3. Match strings to the correct pitch
4. ???
5. Profit!
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah, an electronic one sounds great....but the problem is, I blew all my money at the minute on the guitar itself and would do my best to avoid spending any more on it. Oh and BladeSlinger...I figured that much lol. The part that confuses me is which pipe corresponds to which string?
you can get an electronic pretty cheap
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
the lowest or deepest sounding one is for the fattest or E string and so on.
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
Ok guys, well, thanks a lot for answering my question I'll let you know how I get on, I have a free day tomorrow so I'm gonna practice practice practice.
Quote by jackdaniels92
Yeah, an electronic one sounds great....but the problem is, I blew all my money at the minute on the guitar itself and would do my best to avoid spending any more on it. Oh and BladeSlinger...I figured that much lol. The part that confuses me is which pipe corresponds to which string?

Does it not label them? Find the lowest note on the pipe then that's your low E.

E
      A
D
      G
B
      E

I think that's how it's set up. It will be tough at first to hear it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
if you are new to guitar or music in general then unless you have perfect pitch you will struggle using pitch pipes, beg, borrow or steal a cheap tuner until you develop relative pitch and can recognise 4th intervals.
Quote by jj1565

Do you realize what alternative you're providing?....

an online pitch pipe.

Or maybe I hit my head earlier and forgot the use of a pitch pipe.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Do you realize what alternative you're providing?....

an online pitch pipe.

Or maybe I hit my head earlier and forgot the use of a pitch pipe.

perhaps you did. i have no idea.

but he said he didnt know how to use his. and this one labels each tone.
he can use it and compare it to his pipe, which will give hm a better understanding of how to use a pipe.

now go get your shine box.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
using that online tuner still means he/she will spend more time tuning less time playing.

More or less what I meant.

I have been having some monster headaches lately.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ibanezgod1973
using that online tuner still means he/she will spend more time tuning less time playing.

well duh. i use electronic tuners. but, he was asking how to use that pipe.

if he can't match the pitch to the strings, then he should train his ear by using the tones available free online, until he can pick up a korg chromatic tuner.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Ok, after using that online tuner thing it certainly has improved the tune but it seems I was pretty close with the pipe anyway. I'll certainly use the online one in the future as its much closer to the sound of the strings. Thanks again guys.
it's good to train your ear.

and make sure tune up comparing each string to the previous string.

like, you'll want to tune up the Low E, and then fret the low E (the thickest) at the 5th fret, and use that tone to tune up the A. (the next string, and so on.)

that way, even if the first string is off, at least all the strings will be off to the same degree, and the guitar will be in tune with itself, and will still be playable.
because all the strings will be out of standard tune the same amount.

you can then get closer by comparing those strings to the online tuner.

guides on how to tune fretting at the 5th fret are simple enough to find online.

when you've got the time and or cash for an electric tuner.
make sure you get the chromatic model korg. $20.
you want one that will do alternate tunings as well.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by ibanezgod1973
jj1565:-isn`t that what i said in my 1st post in this thread

not really, no.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62