Page 1 of 2
ok so i need to know which guitar to get.
I play hardcore/screamo/punk/metal

bands like

Bring Me The Horizon
Devil Wears Prada
A Day To Remember
Oceana
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Etc.

I own a crate speaker and a crate powerblock and a Boss ME-50 Fx pedal

so ive done a lot of research...I was leaning toward the ESP LTD cuz of the price tag and good prestige, and not the norm.
However I read that the EMG 81 active pickups only work well with tube amps...I dont have a tube amp...i have a speaker...But i dont know...If that's the case then id want the Gibson LPS. Cuz i know what tone it puts out...However if the ESP would give me the hardcore metal sound i want, with a decent clean tone...with my equipment....then I'd want the ESP. And YES I KNOW ITS AN LTD.
dude idk about ur style but i would go for the LP if u have n e disire to mix it up and have a versetile guitar. i think the nature of active pups combind with the metal sound of EMGs (and i love emgs dont get me wrong) would make the ESP a bit of a straight metal guitar. not nice tones like a guitar with quality passive pups
I Shit You Not
Amp>geetah
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
What guitar do you have now?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Electric Guitars" forum since.. well it's about guitars?
Dude get an EC-1000. I didn't regret it. I got the amber sunburst one and i think im gonna buy the Black Cherry one soon. They are great sounding and playing guitars. PERFECT for your style. Go for that. But you really should look into a new amp if you have a ok geetah already.

As for the emgs they are good all around pickups and i think the 60 is the neck pup in the EC-1000 and that has good clean tone.

Oceano=AWESOME btw.

good luck.
if you could tell us your current guitar we can tell you whether or not you should get a the new guitar or a new amp. which gibson LP are you thinkin of? cuz you could probably get the LTD EC-1000 and a small tube amp for the price you would pay for the Gibson LP.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by flanders_91
get the LTD EC-1000 and a small tube amp for the price you would pay for the Gibson LP.

thread/
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
I think a new amp is in order unless you really like your current amp. With your music, id say ESP. I dont even like them, but i think it would suit you better.
Why are these the only two guitars in consideration?

For your genres, the ESP, for sure. But bare in mind, a couple of months down the line you might really regret it, because it meant that you didn't get the LP, and LP's are quality guitars, no questions asked. I thought every guitarist would like to have an LP in their collection? By LPS, I assume you mean Les Paul Studio, they're great guitars for tone, and they look the part for all genres of music, if you get one with a good finish. LP Studio is the guitar I want to add to my collection next, in Worn Cherry, beautiful looking guitar.
i'd suggest a new amp instead, but guitar wise

the LTD is more for your style....
Actually you can get the EC-1000 deluxe with Seymour Duncan pups instead of EMGs AND the model with the Duncans is cheaper, and IMO looks cooler than the other finishes
What the hells wrong with his current amp set up? So what if its not tube, maybe he likes it. I know plenty of people in my area who use the power block.

and for guitars, all personal preference. I own the EC1000 in amber with the Duncans, it is a AWESOME instrument, and for the money you cannot beat it. Of course, the les paul is more thicker then the EC, both in the body and in the necks. So its all preference to feel. The EC1000 feels more along the lines of a Gibson SG with a really comfortable neck, thin U, great for leads as well rythem.

My reccomendation? The EC1000 cause i was in the same dillemma, you wont regret it.
Even a bad LTD ec 1000 would **** on a good LP studio.

Quote by JackleCube
Why are these the only two guitars in consideration?

For your genres, the ESP, for sure. But bare in mind, a couple of months down the line you might really regret it, because it meant that you didn't get the LP, and LP's are quality guitars, no questions asked. I thought every guitarist would like to have an LP in their collection? By LPS, I assume you mean Les Paul Studio, they're great guitars for tone, and they look the part for all genres of music, if you get one with a good finish. LP Studio is the guitar I want to add to my collection next, in Worn Cherry, beautiful looking guitar.
Quote by splamron
What guitar do you have now?

right now i have an american series fender fat strat lol...for like country and blues...which are ok to play for fun...but i wouldnt be in a band with the guitar i have now
The Gibson will always hold more Value than the than the LTD. That being said the EC 1000 is a hella nice guitar.
Quote by mmjohn
The Gibson will always hold more Value than the than the LTD. That being said the EC 1000 is a hella nice guitar.

Simply because of the Gibson logo on the headstock,

I'm pretty sure the LTD with Duncans outshines the LP studio in most cases. (and it looks better IMO)

I personally think most studios look like puke. the EC-1000 fits your genres more and its like 200 cheaper or something.
I'd get a new amp first. But between these guitars I'd say get the LTD. It suits better for your genre and looks better.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by siverstorm
Simply because of the Gibson logo on the headstock,

I'm pretty sure the LTD with Duncans outshines the LP studio in most cases. (and it looks better IMO)

I personally think most studios look like puke. the EC-1000 fits your genres more and its like 200 cheaper or something.

I agree the LPS are pretty lame. They really aren't that good. I love my EC-1000 the duncans are nice as hell.
It's a tough call for me. The Gibson is going to give you a little more versatility with the passive pickups and will allow for good cleans and a nice chunky high gain. The LTD won't do as well for the cleans, and EMG's don't seem to do well when you're playing with low amounts of gain...

Gibson is almost more of a vintage instrument in terms of playability. It feels very different than the LTD, and weighs about 3 lbs more. The EC is more of a player's guitar with the tummy-cut, 24 Xjumbo frets, thin neck, and reduced weight.

I have an easier time playing the EC-1000's to the Les Paul's but they're both great guitars.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Get the Les Paul. all the bands you like are "what's hot right now bands", not real metal. once you grow out of them, you will have a quality guitar with a versatile range of tones. the LTD is just a mediocre guitar with a high marketing value and straight up metal pickups.
It's all about feel

Quote by hopespaul
Get the Les Paul. all the bands you like are "what's hot right now bands", not real metal. once you grow out of them, you will have a quality guitar with a versatile range of tones. the LTD is just a mediocre guitar with a high marketing value and straight up metal pickups.
Quote by hopespaul

Absolute fail. GTFO.
Quote by Calvinator
Absolute fail. GTFO.

What he said was in fact true. I cant tell what made you more angry, that he doesnt like your favorite bands or he doesnt like your favorite EMG's. He's just saying that the ESP is a strait Metal-only guitar, while the LP is far more versatile. Chill out. We have too many kids venting their hormones on here.

TS, I would reccomend the LP. Unless you can find the EC with Seymour Duncan passive pups (In that case EC, all the way). The LP's passive pickups will give you better versatility, better cleans, will respond better to a non tube amp, etc.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by TpUcKo9
right now i have an american series fender fat strat lol...for like country and blues...which are ok to play for fun...but i wouldnt be in a band with the guitar i have now

Yeah save our time and just go get whatever the hell you want. Just for that comment.
Here's something that no one has really said yet:
Try them both. Go to where you buy guitars, plug the thing in and play it for a solid 15-30 minutes each. Play scales, (power)chord progressions and rifts.

The ESP will probably be a little faster because of the oober thin neck. But the stuff about the EMG's isn't entirely true. My friend has an ibanez with active 81/85 EMG's and he used the thing in jazz band. He gets great cleans with his neck pickup. He achieves that using this thing called a "pickup selector" and he flips it all the way up to select the neck. And for distortion, he flips it down for the bridge and it sounds great.

I'm not sure about the LPS. They're great guitars, but they have thicker necks and 22 frets. Oh and they are like $200 more, but its your choice.
EC1000 hands down if you want it for metal. Brian Eschbach from Black Dahlia Murder plays one (not saying you should buy because of this reason). If you want a balls out metal guitar the LTD is for you, if you want a more versatile guitar get the LP. Even tho IMO you can get pretty good cleans out of an EMG if you roll back a little something called a "volume knob" on your guitar.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
BMTH?....Id vote for new band style.

New amp would be good aswell as someone said already
''We still struggle with the fact that one percent has ninety-nine on their knees.''
I would go with the LPS.

I've got one, whoever said they are crap. Get out. Don't hate on Gibson because they have a name. Gibson guitars are expensive because there made by hand..in one place in the entire world...by professional craftsmen.

I play a lot of metal, and I play with an LP, I've owned a lot of guitar to, Gretch, B.C. Rich, Schecter, Ibanez and none and them even compare to the LP.
Hand placed onto the cutting machine maybe.

Quote by silversoulcage
I would go with the LPS.

I've got one, whoever said they are crap. Get out. Don't hate on Gibson because they have a name. Gibson guitars are expensive because there made by hand..in one place in the entire world...by professional craftsmen.

I play a lot of metal, and I play with an LP, I've owned a lot of guitar to, Gretch, B.C. Rich, Schecter, Ibanez and none and them even compare to the LP.
Quote by Jiro from GLAY
Hand placed onto the cutting machine maybe.

Been to the factory bro. I know what I'm talking about.

And no shit they cut a big ass piece of wood with a machine to get it down to a workable level.

Don't hate because you can't afford one. Gibson: Professional Guitars for Professional Players. You kids can keep your plastic crap guitars.

TS If you want a great guitar that will retain it's value for the entire life of the guitar and that you can:

A) Play metal with
B) About any other genre you choose

Then get an LP. I'm not saying I would always go LP over any guitar, but 9/10. Active pickups are amazing. But the LP would probably end up being better for you.
If you like a medium-thick neck, get the Gibson. If you like a slimmer neck, get the LTD.
If you don't mind either neck and you want the traditional LP sound, go for the Gibson. If you don't mind either neck and you want a more modern, thinner and more aggressive tone, get the LTD.

That's about all there is to it really. Just because they have the same body outline doesn't mean they are really than comparable, they feel and sound very different.

Though one thing to consider would be if you decide the LTD is the way to go, to get a LTD EC401 instead of the EC-1000 series. They're essentually the same with the only differences being that the 1000 has ESP's own-brand locking tuners while the 401 has higher ratio Grover tuners and some of the 1000 series have a lot of (arguably very tacky) abalone binding around them. The 1000 series are also made in Korea while the 401s are made in Indonesia but havign played a lot of 1000 and 401 MH models, I couldn't tell the difference between them and the general consensus amoung ESP and LTD players is that the new Indonesian-made guitars are just as good as the Korean-made ones. So if you buy the 401 model instead, you get the same guitar with better tuners for less money.

EDIT: that'll teach me to not check dates!
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by siverstorm
7 month necrobump?

REALLY?

7 months to this exact day too

Whoever bumped this thread deserves a facepalm.
Who are you to tell me if I can or cannot afford Gibson.

Quote by silversoulcage
Been to the factory bro. I know what I'm talking about.

And no shit they cut a big ass piece of wood with a machine to get it down to a workable level.

Don't hate because you can't afford one. Gibson: Professional Guitars for Professional Players. You kids can keep your plastic crap guitars.

TS If you want a great guitar that will retain it's value for the entire life of the guitar and that you can:

A) Play metal with
B) About any other genre you choose

Then get an LP. I'm not saying I would always go LP over any guitar, but 9/10. Active pickups are amazing. But the LP would probably end up being better for you.
Page 1 of 2