Learn a lot of shapes.
Use metronomes.

Lastly it just comes to practicing for hours.
No tips really, but I"d suggest not just sweeping one shape, or you'll still have trouble with other shapes.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
make sure you have the actual technique down, as in not picking every note but letting the pick slide over the strings. i would say that, that is the most important thing first.

after that, just try out 3 string sweeps until you can do them pretty well, then move onto 4,5 and 6 string sweeps (7 if you have one). use a metronome and learn a bunch of shapes like the guys above said.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
start simple.. with like 3 string ones.. and do it ****ING slow.. metronome.. start at 60 or 80 bpm.. then when you master there, set it up with like 5 or 10.. then do the same again
and so.. .. also.. don't just sit sweeping the same pathen over and over, make som small combinations of varius sweeps.. also for getting it clean, practice without distortion or any effects, eventually using you brigde pickup, so that you very very easy can hear all you mistakes.. when you then play it with distortion, it will sound really cool, because it is so clean...

Oh and also.. when doing it slow.. it isent really sweeping.. you will first be sort of using the sweeping motion at about 120 bpm or something like that..
Dutc tape solves all up to equations of 4. degree

Bugera 333xl
Peavey 5150 Cab
TC Electronics G-major
RG1527 w/ Dimarzio X2n-7 and Evo-7
Kramer Voyager
Ltd JH-600 w/ 2 emg 81, floyd rose and S and key inlays
Fender Classic 50 strat
Quote by djsaltboy
how did u guys learn?

Practiced until I could. That's all there is to it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Roopelatvalafan
start simple.. with like 3 string ones.. and do it ****ING slow.. metronome.. start at 60 or 80 bpm.. then when you master there, set it up with like 5 or 10.. then do the same again
and so.. .. also.. don't just sit sweeping the same pathen over and over, make som small combinations of varius sweeps.. also for getting it clean, practice without distortion or any effects, eventually using you brigde pickup, so that you very very easy can hear all you mistakes.. when you then play it with distortion, it will sound really cool, because it is so clean...

Oh and also.. when doing it slow.. it isent really sweeping.. you will first be sort of using the sweeping motion at about 120 bpm or something like that..

+1

this is the best way. with practicing, you always start off slow.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by dajpark
Learn a lot of shapes.

This is wrong, you should learn the actual notes and why you're playing in the shape that you are. It's easy enough to take a chord and find the notes. If you can't take a chord and make a triad out of it for sweep practice then you aren't ready for sweeping.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.