I have a question regarding effects loops.
I plug straight in to a peavey classic 50 and in the effects loop I have a Line 6 DL-4 among other effects. I run the DL-4 in mono using the left input and output and send the left signal back to the amp.
What if I got a tube poweramp (no preamp) and sent the signal from the other output of my DL-4 to the poweramp instead of back to my Peavey? My thinking is that without going back to the amp the effects loop has a signal that has only gone through the preamp section and the seperate tube poweramp would act like the power section of that signal giving me essentially 2 amps with the same effects loop and preamp. Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
ive actually thought of doing that quite a few times but never really have gotten around to trying it. mostly because i dont have a spare poweramp lying around. ive seen this and thought it might work for something like this, but the onboard eq and stuff kinda throws me off.

your idea should work though, something like that is on my list of rigs to try when i get enough money/win the lottery.
it's good in theory, but keep in mind that you would be splitting your signal. more detail as to what you're running would help.
...or just try it and let us know what you think. if you're worried about it frying your amp or something, don't, you'll be fine.
good luck dude.
It's really a question of whether the signal coming out of the fx loop is mainly a preamp signal or partially a preamp signal or unusable unless it goes back to the amp.
Quote by eguyw
It's really a question of whether the signal coming out of the fx loop is mainly a preamp signal or partially a preamp signal or unusable unless it goes back to the amp.

It's the preamp, if the signal was unusable without the amp your DL4 wouldn't work.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The main problem I've had with running two different power amps off of the same preamp is that there's no way to adjust the balance of volume between them. Even if they have similar wattage ratings, they can still differ quite a bit in actual volume at a set preamp level. I tried this with my Supersonic and a Windsor head, and I could hardly hear the Fender over the Peavey. It also picked up a lot of noise, compared to just running them in stereo.