So i would like to know if the answer to this is question is personal preference or one way is actually better-

When doing fast alternate picking I often slant my pick outward so it points towards the neck at an angle, is it better to have it pointing perpendicular to the body if the guitar?
Yea that happens to me too. I think it makes it easier to pick that way, and we probably do it on instinct because if u slant the pick, theres not as much pick hitting the strings, so theres less resistance, making the fast picking easier
it's fine, just as long as you remember not to dip the pick too far into the strings for fast playing. you'll get a slightly different pick attack sound if you slant your pick different ways, if you're picky about that.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jul 17, 2009,
I think the proper method is to have it sticking out perpendicular to your thumb, but it doesn't really matter as long as it works.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
i hold it agains the pickups (perpendicular with thumb). just put the vey tip of the pick inside the strings so it gets easier and softer.
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
Quote by Msword7
So i would like to know if the answer to this is question is personal preference or one way is actually better-

When doing fast alternate picking I often slant my pick outward so it points towards the neck at an angle, is it better to have it pointing perpendicular to the body if the guitar?

I see alot of people play like this and I do too.
Every player prefers a certain angle, but in general, the more you angle the pick the better it becomes for alternate picking, because it crosses the string easier. However, the notes become slightly less precise.
Quote by Amer91
Every player prefers a certain angle, but in general, the more you angle the pick the better it becomes for alternate picking, because it crosses the string easier. However, the notes become slightly less precise.

I keep mine parallel to the string and i have no problem crossing strings.
Quote by duncang
If Varg had any sense of humour, he'd open the album with a cover of Superstition.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
yes, but if its at an angle the string slides up the picks side instead of hitting it head on.

Then you're at too much of an angle lol. That happened to me before when I changed from holding the pick with 3 fingers to holding it with only 2
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by Ripping Corpse
I keep mine parallel to the string and i have no problem crossing strings.

Like I said, every player prefers a certain method.
It's all about personal preference, EVH held his pick between his thumb and middle finger.
So normally, you can do whatever feels good for you.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!