Forgive me if i put this in the wrong forum but i want to know if theres any other bassists amongst us who have done what i want to do So I've been playing bass for roughy 4 years or so. I recently went to the music store to get some strings and while i was there i saw some banjos and just thought it would be amusing to pick up a 2nd stringed instrument and i am really thinking about buying one. Plus lately I've been listening to a lot of bluegrass and i really enjoy it. So does anybody happen to know if banjo is easy to pick up on from a bass? or would another instrument be better suited? (preferably a folk instrument) I dont know a whole lot about chords, just a little bit, but i do know stuff about intervals and other music theory. So does anybody have advice about banjo in general such as technique differences compared to bass?

thanks
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
I used to own one, for a couple of years, I just sold it a couple of months ago (out of necessity not loss of interest). It's a very good instrument to learn, especially for the right hand techniques you can take from it. I started out learning some Sufjan Stevens stuff, I'd say start somewhere like that, it's simple stuff that will get your feet wet.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
not much for banjos. the technique is a bit different. mainly for the picking. the purpose is different.

if you get a plug in one it sounds awesome with heavy distortion.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
banjo would help your finger picking and slapping skills so yeah go for it
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
right hand banjo technique works great on bass. Check out this guy's stuff, he uses a banjo-ish right hand technique, he has an amazing feel and groove. http://www.youtube.com/user/jenichxxx

It's great to be able to learn other instruments, it just gives you a bigger well of knowledge and tools to use on each one, and really helps you define your own sound.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Jul 17, 2009,
Banjo is the other instrument in which fierce fingers vs pick arguments abound.

Not my cuppa, though I have to say I love what Bela Fleck does with one. But learning any instrument is a good move in my book.
Why does evreyone match up bass forum with banjoes, wouldnt this be better suited in the pit or guitar forum is probably closer.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Banjo is more guitar-like alright but if you can play any string instrument you can pick up any other one easily enough.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by fatgoogle
Why does evreyone match up bass forum with banjoes, wouldnt this be better suited in the pit or guitar forum is probably closer.

because i play bass and i want to see if any other bassists on this site play both and find out what changes they had to make and new things they had to learn to go from bass to a banjo.
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
But why think of it as changes rather than a completly different instrument. Its sort of like me coming here and saying
"hey guys i play bass, but want to learn trumpet as well any advice on making the switch"

Silly i know, and hey i play both instruments.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If you want to play it, play it.

Does it really matter how easy it is to learn after bass, especially if you enjoy it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
My mate plays both,and he's pretty wicked at them both too, he says they do relate, but not hugely, but knowing both has helped him on each!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
My friend has one and I play it pretty often, I picked it up quick enough just gotta get used to the different tunings.
i say go for it!
I did the same thing. I love those things.

They are fun to play, I never got one but I play them every chance I get.

The only problem with them is tuning though. Once you get that it should be fine.