What chromatic approach do you guys take at Jazzin' up your phrases?

I'm looking for some new ways to approach Jazz so any insight would be helpful.
Well, you ..could use...chromatic approach tones.. haha moving from notes to notes within a key signature you can snake in outside notes, as long as you resolve properly...what I've been flirting with lately is sliding from the minor 2/9 or minor 6/13 up to the respective major...gives it a cool feel.
I just substitute my chords so that they line up chrommatically
take you common 1, 6, 2, 5, 1 progression
CMaj7, A7, D-7, G7, CMaj7
and use tritone substitutions to make
E-, Eb7, D-7, Db7, Cmaj7
= chromatic run.

examples of this is in Benny Goodman's I've Got Rhythm and John Coltrane chromatically used a lot of pentatonics.
the two main approaches in jazz are enclosure and approach, enclosure in when you "encase" a note e.g. targeting A and going Bb, G, G#, A. approach is when you go up or down chromatically to a note e.g. targeting A and going Bb, A. a lot of guys use this in blues e.g. on Bb7 playing the minor third and going up to the major.

Bb is where its at, get used to it
Originally Posted by jmac72187
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Sometimes when I'm improvising a walking bassline I'll throw in a chromatic run occasionally.
Alright, thanks fellas.

Theres alot more to Jazz that I could have imagined when I first heard it. It's filled with all sorts of Theory that I've yet to come across. It's challenging, it's full of soul, and I love it.
Quote by musicjohnny
It's challenging, it's full of soul, and I love it.

Hardest genre to play on bass, harder than any rock or metal or whatever. In my opinion anyway, and I've heard the same about drums.
Quote by pwrmax
Hardest genre to play on bass, harder than any rock or metal or whatever. In my opinion anyway, and I've heard the same about drums.

This holds true with just about any instrument. Though classical performers will argue otherwise, and I will admit playing classical music well is extremely challenging, but improvising in jazz always leaves room for improvement.