I have a RG2EX1 that I've had for about a year and it's time for a new guitar. I had MANY choices, but I narrowed it down to a few. Here's my following list. Which should I get?:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard (honey burst)

What I like about this guitar is the finish, and I've always wanted a Les Paul type guitar. It has a set neck, which is nice (my Ibanez is bolt on) and has Grover tuners. That cons are I've just heard every now and then that these guitars suck. But those people are probably idiots. What are you opinions?

ESP LTD EC-256 (aged vintage black)

This, again is a Les Paul shape. I figure if the Epiphone doesn't work out, I'll go with this since everyone seems to love them LTD's. This has a set neck as well. That's really all I can say about this guitar. Plus, it has good reviews.

Ibanez ART300

Here we go again, haha. This, however, has active pickups, which take AA batteries. A friend has this and it sounds amazing. That only thing I don't like is the finish. It has that "wrinkly" finish that I'm not crazy about. But I think the guitar is awesome enough for me to more past it.

Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow

This I'm carefull about. Never heard of Michael Kelly but it seems nice. However, in the reviews, it says it doesn't come with a tonelock bridge. That doesn't really affect me, but do I want to buy from a company that advertises things they don't have? Anyway, I put this up for more of a "what do you know about MK guitars". I'm probably not going to get this.

Schecter Omen Extreme 6

Now THIS is a guitar I've really wanted. I always wanted a Hellraiser (more for the paintjob than anything haha), but this seems just as good. I'm loving all of the finishes, and heard nothing but good news for it. The ONE problem I have (and it's kind of a big one) is the bolt on neck. My Ibanez is a bolt on, and the whole point of this is to get a BETTER guitar. I really don't want to get a bolt on, but who knows. Maybe at the last minute, the other guitars won't do it for me.

Sorry for the LARGE post, but I really wanted to get the information out there. I'm probably going to be asked about my amp, so here it is. I have a Roland Cube 30x. Don't start going crazy just cause it's a cheap modeling amp. I also have a Line 6 POD x3 Live. My friend has a Jazz Chorus and I practically live at his house. Besides, I'm saving for a new amp soon, don't worry about it.

I put a lot of work into this so please respond informatively.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
honestly dude, if i were you id save up more money and get a real (higher) midrange guitar (700-1000 bucks) instead of these, cause they arent really an upgrade from what you have no. Its mostly stock and fabricant made pickup tuners etc.

but if i had to choose.. id go for the epi. Its a decent instrument has grovers and you can always swap the pickups.
one thing i should should say...a set neck does not always mean better quality or more sustain. a good bold on joint will give you more sustain than a not so quality set neck. also, if your guitar's neck becomes damaged beyond repair, it's easily replaceable
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
I agree with Rebl, i have a omen 6 extreme and although I think its a great guitar it isn't really much of a 'step up' from the ibanez.

However if you really wont a new guitar i would go for the ltd or the epi as you seem to like les pauls. They are both great guitars but it is just a matter of preference.
My Gear

Guitars
Custom Strat
Schecter Omen 6 Extreme
Ibanez S470
Yamaha FG730
Amps
Laney VC15
Blackstar HT-5
Effects
Digitech GNX3
Boss OD-20
Vox Wah
Marshall Echohead
Satchurator

Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever
I would say the Epiphone Les Paul, or the Michael Kelly Patriot Shadow. The MK series is not to well known, but they sound great. I have no experience with LTD's but I have heard great things about them as well.
Go used or search a little more,I picked up a like new RG1570 for $450 but no hardcase or trem arm,in a Fender dlx gig bag,$20 for a new Ibanez trem arm & I have a like new $1000 guitar for $500,you could get a Select Swede with Duncan pups on eBay for under $500 which when was in production sold at MF/etc. for close to $1000. MIA strats can be had for $500-600,SG faded or V faded for around $500 also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HAGSTROM-SELECT-SWEDE-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-GOLDEN-EAGLE_W0QQitemZ380139756547QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5882185c03&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
damn just looked there was 3 left now down to this 1 & it's out of production for the color & pups.
Don't let the crappy pics fool you the finish is sweet with real maple binding.
Gibson SG Std. & a Strat>
OD-9 Pro+>Superlead>Model H>EQ>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback>
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12(G12-65) or Orange OR15H>2x12 (WGS Vet 30./ET-65)
Last edited by twisty571 at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by Rebl.
honestly dude, if i were you id save up more money and get a real (higher) midrange guitar (700-1000 bucks) instead of these, cause they arent really an upgrade from what you have no. Its mostly stock and fabricant made pickup tuners etc.

but if i had to choose.. id go for the epi. Its a decent instrument has grovers and you can always swap the pickups.

I would if I had crazy patience. You see, I'm a 15 year old dude with no one hiring. If I'm lucky, I'll have the guitar by February 2010. I'm just doing research now.

He will be missed.
Quote by twisty571
Go used or search a little more,I picked up a like new RG1570 for $450 but no hardcase or trem arm,in a Fender dlx gig bag,$20 for a new Ibanez trem arm & I have a like new $1000 guitar for $500,you could get a Select Swede with Duncan pups on eBay for under $500 which when was in production sold at MF/etc. for close to $1000. MIA strats can be had for $500-600,SG faded or V faded for around $500 also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HAGSTROM-SELECT-SWEDE-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-GOLDEN-EAGLE_W0QQitemZ380139756547QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5882185c03&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
damn just looked there was 3 left now down to this 1 & it's out of production for the color & pups.
Don't let the crappy pics fool you the finish is sweet with real maple binding.

Yeah I was looking into Hagstrom's and one that caught my eye was there Ultra Swede Flame. But in the end, it just wasn't for me.

He will be missed.
Save yer dough, and bite the bullet and get a Gibson or a high end Ibby or something of the like. Check used definitely though. PRS CE's occasionally go for about 950.00 on evilbay...
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Save and buy a Ibanez RG Prestige, it's definately a "step up" and will last you long.
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Quote by azn_guitarist25
have you tried any of the guitars out?

All except the ESP and the Michael Kelly. I'm really not picky when it comes to... playability. I've played all sorts of guitars, and play bass every now and then.

He will be missed.
Quote by Lewadra
Save and buy a Ibanez RG Prestige, it's definately a "step up" and will last you long.

I played one of those yesterday. Felt great, but those paper-thin necks take some getting used to after playing on a treetrunk, I mean a telecaster.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Sorry, but I'm not looking for another RG. I'm not really taking suggestions. I live in Japan and selection is limited, and so is my budget.

Is it safe to say that the Epiphone is the most popular?

He will be missed.
Where in Japan?

:P if your anywhere NEAR tokyo there absolutley no excuse XD

they have like 3 streets dedicated to instrument shops (i've visited), you can find anything and everything there.

And yes the epi is the most popular.
Quote by siverstorm
Where in Japan?

:P if your anywhere NEAR tokyo there absolutley no excuse XD

they have like 3 streets dedicated to instrument shops (i've visited), you can find anything and everything there.

And yes the epi is the most popular.

Haha, well, technically Japan, yeah. But I live on Okinawa, a little island around Japan. There's maybe 3 music shops around the 60 mile long island. Selection is limited

He will be missed.
OH that sucks

You know what i realized...what kinda music are you going to be playing with it? XD
I dont think anyone asked.
Quote by siverstorm
OH that sucks

You know what i realized...what kinda music are you going to be playing with it? XD
I dont think anyone asked.

I try to be as versatile as possible, but I think I'll always be a metal type of guy. Most of the songs I know are from Lamb of God. They use Jackson's and ESP's, with Mark IV amps.

He will be missed.
Then i believe the epi's neck would be too thick for you, but thats just MY opinion, you should try it and see.
If you wanna be versatile the Ibanez with active pups is out of the question.

Now I'm leaning more on the LTD or the schecter, and i have no idea about the michael kelly one.
Its been a year and you have only saved up for a guitar $100 more than your current? Sounds like a bad idea. If you want to upgrade spend more, $300 guitar to a $1000 guitar will make be a big difference.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Quote by Copilot911
Its been a year and you have only saved up for a guitar $100 more than your current? Sounds like a bad idea. If you want to upgrade spend more, $300 guitar to a $1000 guitar will make be a big difference.

Well I wasn't very specific I suppose. I'm saving to buy a guitar in February, which will mark my 1 year. I'll have around 500-600 USD by then. And no, I'm most likely not going to be purchasing a 1000 dollar guitar any time soon.

He will be missed.
I'm torn between the Epiphone and ESP. Any help guys?

He will be missed.
If you can save up a bit more and bear with the Ibby for a bit, look at an RG prestige. Great guitars.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
If you can save up a bit more and bear with the Ibby for a bit, look at an RG prestige. Great guitars.

But from the list, which is best?

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
But from the list, which is best?

Well, it would help if you could tell us in a bit of detail what kind of stuff you play and what you're looking for in a guitar. They're all rather different guitars in terms of pickups, woods, shapes and bridges, it's kinda hard to compare them and point one out and say "this is better than the rest". But I would recommend sticking with your current guitar for a bit and saving up, especially if you're looking to upgrade simply because you're bored of your current guitar.

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by larrytheguitar
I try to be as versatile as possible, but I think I'll always be a metal type of guy. Most of the songs I know are from Lamb of God. They use Jackson's and ESP's, with Mark IV amps.

Simply re-reading old posts prevents asking the same questions.

Considering he said Lamb of God I'd suggest something with a thin neck (the EC) or possbily the shecter , but i can't reccomend it as i've never played it.
Quote by siverstorm
Simply re-reading old posts prevents asking the same questions.

I said "in detail", Lamb of God or "metal guy" are not very specific. There are many different kinds of metal, from pop to death to what not. And if he plays metal, perhaps the Epi or Artcore aren't the best choices, that's all I'm saying.

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Quote by goonerbynature
I said "in detail", Lamb of God or "metal guy" are not very specific. There are many different kinds of metal, from pop to death to what not. And if he plays metal, perhaps the Epi or Artcore aren't the best choices, that's all I'm saying.

Why wouldn't the Art be a good choice?

He will be missed.
I would go with either the Epiphone, or the LTD.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
I've played the ART and it is a quality instrument, but I'm going to agree with the people saying wait. I was in sort of a similar situation a few months ago, and I almost "upgraded" from my current guitar to a Schecter 006 with Duncans , but by waiting, I may have a 90's Ibanez S in my possession in the next few days.

"Good things come to those who wait"
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
"Good things come to those who wait"

+1

Sounds like you just want to get a new guitar for your 1 year of guitar playing. 1 year isn't that long. And I understand, you're anxious to get a new guitar. But waiting will be good. You can get a guitar that actually is a "step-up" from your ibanez. Since you're going for a metal sort of sound, but still somewhat versatile, don't get a guitar with EMGs.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401VF-Electric-Guitar?sku=580200

That has Seymour Duncan JBs, which are good for, well, almost anything. As long as you're still gonna get a new amp sometime, one with good gain, it will work great then. It's just slightly more over your budget. Its an ESP LTD, so most likely the neck will be thin for metal. Hope I helped you...
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan