I'm looking for a Stratocaster style guitar, not necessarily a Fender either. Money is very tight at the moment, especially to shell out on luxuries like a new guitar. However, I can make it happen. What, in your opinion is the best Start clone, knock off, etc. that is the best value for the money? My budget is is $400 or less (preferably less). Currently I'm looking at a Guitar Works Inc. GWSE-2 . I've heard many people who are extremely happy with this company's products, and they are local, so I can support a local business. And $230.00 is a hell of a price. Doesn't mean my mind is set though, what are y'alls suggestions?
Made in Mexico Fender Strat. I saw a mint used ash body in the music store today for $199. Why buy a clone?
Quote by BobDetroit
Made in Mexico Fender Strat. I saw a mint used ash body in the music store today for $199. Why buy a clone?

Have a MiM Tele that I was completely unsatisfied with, was junk.
Last edited by CrowStoner at Jul 17, 2009,
a used mexican strat is good, and you can get it for 200 to 250 bucks sometimes. I have a johnson strat, and it is actually really impressive. It my main guitar, and I use it over my epi lp plus top, alvarez dana, and my fernandes. They can be hit or miss cause their inexpensive, but if you find one that plays well, its a steal. The only problem with it is the tuners suck, so get some new ones and your set. they have a solid alder body (like a fender, and a maple neck (its on the fatter side, so it depends on your taste). it comes stock with emg designed pickups, which sound pretty good. i turned mine into a black and white van halen copy, and put a humbucker in the bridge position and it really plays amazing.
Call me lame for saying it, but from my own experiences, Squier Strats are good, It was my first guitar, and despite now having my Ibanez, I still use it.

- For drop tunings an' that, because messing around with tuning on the Ibz, and adjusting the trem etc takes too long when most of the time I need to be in standard tuning. It actually doesn't handle it too bad.
EDIT: I'm not against the idea of looking at Fender MiM's or others, it's just I was burned on one before. The MiM Tele was great for about 6 months, then went to complete hell.
Quote by CrowStoner
Have a MiM Tele that I was completely unsatisfied with, was junk.

I have a MIM bass and it's a great instrument. I doubt the quality of this $230 Strat clone will be even equal to a Squire.
if you can find one try a Vineyard. they kill MIM strats in sound and feel. the finger board has a wider radius and the pickups are hotter. mine stays in tune even after a fair amount of whammy abuse. they're made in china but assembled and QC'd in america by Praiseland Music.
Quote by monwobobbo
if you can find one try a Vineyard. they kill MIM strats in sound and feel. the finger board has a wider radius and the pickups are hotter. mine stays in tune even after a fair amount of whammy abuse. they're made in china but assembled and QC'd in america by Praiseland Music.

Nothin' like rockin' out on a Chinese guitar..
Quote by BobDetroit
Nothin' like rockin' out on a Chinese guitar..

don't knock it till you've tried one. sure alot of chinese guitars are crap but the vineyards aren't. besides can you name one single american made guitar that he can buy new in his price range ? no i thought not.
Quote by monwobobbo
don't knock it till you've tried one. sure alot of chinese guitars are crap but the vineyards aren't. besides can you name one single american made guitar that he can buy new in his price range ? no i thought not.

I prefer American made stuff for myself.

I recommended a used Mexican Fender Strat, (which I believe are assembled in the USA.) You can find pristine examples that are well within his price range.
Quote by BobDetroit
I prefer American made stuff for myself.

I recommended a used Mexican Fender Strat, (which I believe are assembled in the USA.) You can find pristine examples that are well within his price range.

they're inspected in the USand thats about it. don't get me wrong i would rather have american guitars as well but they' just plain aren't affordable. even used most go for good money. regardless the Vineyard pwns the MIM. try one if you get the chance. i was suprised at how good they are. my main guitar is a Hamer USA Diablo if that makes you feel any better
A lot of used Fernandes strat copies are fairly cheap, although thats just personal experience. I happen to like them, and the sustainer is a fun toy
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?