I was at an outdoor concert today. Some guy walked up to me and sold me a no-name strat copy for $15. Talk about a good deal. It is in okay condition with some rust (things i eventually plan to replace). But the fretboard is extremely dried out. It is rosewood. What home remedies can I use?

I would reeeaally like to use something I could find at home (Olive Oil?) for several reasons. Please help me out.

Thanks
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
dont use kitchen oil, it'll rot and leave an odor.

also, dont use silicone based cleaners.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Olive oil doesnt rot. I found that out somewhere. Look around online. What SHOULD I use then?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Lemon oil ftw or a dunlop cleaning kit.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
well it does rot. but use it if you want.

you should use fretboard conditioner, like dunlop sells.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

hmmm. maybe I was thinking of Lemon Oil not Olive Oil..... Does a dry rosewood fretboard play just as good as a not-dry one?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
yes it does.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I have another question. I think it MIGHT be a first act because the headstock is about the same. Would a fender headstock fit out of a first act headstock if I wanted to cut it?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Would a fender headstock fit out of a first act headstock if I wanted to cut it?

I don't think you can do that, you might be able to replace the neck with a fender one.

Is it that ugly? It seems very unnecessary.
why wouldn't I be able to do that? and it's not ugly but I'd like it to look more like a fender
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
You could if you have experience with those things, a better option would be a neck change if you can, but doing all these things for cosmetics seems stupid.
Why would I need experience? All I need is a jigsaw, sandpaper and a steady hand???
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
a dry rosewood fingerboard will eventually crack resonating through every every note you play and making the most horrible noise possible.
Oh boy....

I don't need to remove any frets or anything do I to treat it?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
Oh boy....

I don't need to remove any frets or anything do I to treat it?

not only is it just a matter of rubbing a little dunlop oil on the board,
no, a dry board isnt likely going to do a darn thing, as far as damaging the guitar.

i have boards that have been untreated for 10+ years.
most of the time it's just cosmetic.

a used board gets it's oils from use.

you need to read tutorials before you start ripping apart a guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
you need to read tutorials before you start ripping apart a guitar.

i'll disagree with Jenny on this part and only this part but she is all knowing so listen.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
i'll disagree with Jenny on this part and only this part but she is all knowing so listen.

phil, dont you think this guy needs to read up on some of these things before he starts ripping apart / modding his guitar?

he just asked if he should rip out his frets to oil a guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
phil, dont you think this guy needs to read up on some of these things before he starts ripping apart / modding his guitar?

he just asked if he should rip out his frets to oil a guitar.

haha well besides that part it's not too hard to take apart a strat style guitar without reading anything.

and i meant more dissassembling the guitar rather ripping out the frets and **** which i shall be doing in a few weeks soon
haha yeah, i mean anyone can take out some screws.
i was guessing that the end goal was to eventually get it back together again.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yeah something like that i mean you don't have to put them all back together but like having 5 different guitars all in parts in your room that takes up a fair amount of space.
I just didn't know if the lemon oil (what I plan on using) would corrode the frets. But I guess I will just stick with the dunlop cleaning kit
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Lemon Oil will not corrode the frets. IF you use it apply it sparingly, don't soak the thing and then you rub it in (and rub excess off) with a clean flannel or cotton cloth. A little bit of oil just keeps the fingerboard looking good, there are rosewood fretboards that have lasted fine that have never seen a drop of oilt (other than natural finger oils that is!). It if does anything more it's probably that a moisturized fretboard won't absorb as much of your finger sweat (which in my opinion is a plus)
Moving on.....
Quote by Polystant
I just didn't know if the lemon oil (what I plan on using) would corrode the frets. But I guess I will just stick with the dunlop cleaning kit

lemon oil is fine, like said.

i would just like to know the brand / type?
because i know you said you were looking around the house.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Oh, well I feel that I need to use SOMETHING because both the back of the neck and the fretboard are bone dry. Maybe I'm just too used to my maple fretboard.

What would I use to treat the back of the neck? I thought you used some type of wax but I'm not positive. I think that the neck was satin finished but has been sitting in a closet or something for a long time because of the rust and dryness. I doubt it was played much because there was hardly any pick scratches and no belt rash or scratches whatsoever in that area where there usually would be.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
car wax if it's a finished neck back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
well it does rot. but use it if you want.

you should use fretboard conditioner, like dunlop sells.

The fretboard conditioner is lemon oil. Got of a bottle of the dunlop fretboard cleaner (rubbing alcohol), which would further dry out your board, and the conditioner in a kit. Probably save you some money to go to lowes or walmart and just buy a bottle of official lemon oil in comparison to Dunlop's.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
The fretboard conditioner is lemon oil. Got of a bottle of the dunlop fretboard cleaner (rubbing alcohol), which would further dry out your board, and the conditioner in a kit. Probably save you some money to go to lowes or walmart and just buy a bottle of official lemon oil in comparison to Dunlop's.

yeah i know. i just had a really good feeling that this was a guy squeezing a lemon on his board.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah i know. i just had a really good feeling that this was a guy squeezing a lemon on his board.

I was just making sure you weren't hatin on the lemon oil but not the dunlop stuff
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I wasn't going to squeeze a lemon on my fretboard. I'm not that senseless. I knew it was some type of oil but I just couldn't remember if it was olive or lemon. But thanks anyways
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Polystant
I wasn't going to squeeze a lemon on my fretboard. I'm not that senseless. I knew it was some type of oil but I just couldn't remember if it was olive or lemon. But thanks anyways

yeah sorry. i've honestly heard it all. so im extra cautious.

synthetic linseed also cool.

to be honest i've collected a bunch of products over the years.
they tend to last forever.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62