Looking to buy a bass amp (budget is around 200-300) for practice with band so its gotta be at least 40 watts.
I play blues, jazz, classic rock, rock, funk, etc NOT metal of any kind.

I need an amp that is ...
- at least 40 watts
- not heavy
- simple (dont need stuff like tons of amp modelling etc.)
- good EQ
- good TONE
27mMoV31II7.a2
you are going to want at least 200 watts bro.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
you are going to want at least 200 watts bro.

where did u get that from? you dont need 200 watts to play over drums man. when my band practices i use a 30 watt vox valvetronix, and they can hear me at half volume...
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
ya...u dont need 200 watts lol
my friend uses a rumble 60 and its LOUD
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by hendrix_128
where did u get that from? you dont need 200 watts to play over drums man. when my band practices i use a 30 watt vox valvetronix, and they can hear me at half volume...

welcome to the bass forum. BASS forum. BASS.

seriously, pay attention.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
welcome to the bass forum. BASS forum. BASS.

seriously, pay attention.

even so..you dont need a 200 watt bass amp Lol
27mMoV31II7.a2
im in the same boat as you lol
*waits for suggestions*
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Antimage27

Yes you do. Lower frequencies take more power to reproduce, and if you want to be able to get some decent volume without having to crank your amp as high as it'll go, then you'll need something in the realm of 150-200 watts. The more watts the better preferably.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Bass players strive for clean tones especially if there using solid state amps. Have you ever made a solid state amp distort, yes its manky. So headroom is a big issue. To be able to play at decent volumes without distorting you need more watts to turn up to.

So 200 watts isnt made its comfortable. I have a 600 watt amp i do however only use around 300 watts but its still makes my playing comfortable. Go for more now.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Antimage27

Quote by hendrix_128

Yes, you do need 200 Watts, I don't have a matched pair speakers for my 300 Watt head, so I get about 180 watts instead, which is only JUST loud enough to play with two guitars and a decent drummer. Just because a Fender Rumble 60 sounds loud on it's own, or while you're playing with them, doesn't mean ANYONE ELSE CAN HEAR IT
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yes, you do need 200 Watts, I don't have a matched pair speakers for my 300 Watt head, so I get about 180 watts instead, which is only JUST loud enough to play with two guitars and a decent drummer. Just because a Fender Rumble 60 sounds loud on it's own, or while you're playing with them, doesn't mean ANYONE ELSE CAN HEAR IT

well it seemed fine when my friend's band were jamming i could hear him fine and it wasnt max volume either.
27mMoV31II7.a2
Also did i mention that im NOT gigging with this amp?
because most venues have bass amps...and im just starting bass so most likely i wont be good enough yet
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
well it seemed fine when my friend's band were jamming i could hear him fine and it wasnt max volume either.

Could be cuz of room acoustics or the drummer might just be very quiet. Though I always call BS on people who say they can a compete with a drummer on anything less than 150 watts, because it's just not physically possible...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
On Bass there is no substitute for watts, I don't use a practice amp I use my gigging rig for everything I use it at home, for rehearsal and gigging, the only difference is the volume that I use in these differing locations.
I use my main rig all the time because that is the sound that my style is built round and very rarely need to DI.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn