So I'm new to the whole composing scales and such for vocals so I was wondering how do I create them for a song?
I can sing the song "girls not grey" well and I checked the GP file on it with vocals, the notes were ABCDE(not in order) which is G#/Ab Major scales. Does the guitars key have anything to do with the vocals key(guitar is half step down song starts on Ab which is G#) in every song.
My own song's guitar starts on D, so D scale on the vocals? Also do I change key with guitar or can I stick with one key?
instruments and vocals dont each have their own key, songs just follow one key.
if a song is in the key of C, thats what the instruments and vocals follow
I just do it by feel.

If you check out the song "Orion" on my profile the vocals follow the key of the song, but I didn't consciously compose them like that.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Laces Out Danny
I just do it by feel.

If you check out the song "Orion" on my profile the vocals follow the key of the song, but I didn't consciously compose them like that.

This. You can usually just figure it out by ear pretty easily.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Ok, now the fun begins of making sure my songs are all in key(I'm horrible with guitar theory too). Do I just do the scale by feel? Or Can I start on that one note, then sing any note in that scale anywhere in the song?

I've gone to the different sites suggested when looking at theory but they just confuse me, anyone know of a video that teaches singing theory?
Last edited by ldiablo233 at Jul 18, 2009,