Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for about a year now and it has come time to purchase a new amp as I've been playing on a little 15 watt Squire (i think) crap which sounds horrible.

I got my hands on the rather expensive and advanced DigiTech GNX3000 Guitar Workstation. Obviously, the sound quality sucks coming out of my amp...

So here's my question? Spending as little as possible, preferably 250 max; what amp(or is an amp even what I want?) should I get?

Not sure if this matters, but I play mostly rock and want my distortion to sound good but I always like the cleaner acoustic sound my system has too.

Much appreciated,
Mike
Last edited by zipmike at Jul 18, 2009,
Will you gig, or are you fine with a low-wattage amp?
What guitar do you have?
Can you elaborate on the styles you play? Rock is a really general term.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Im thinkin fender frontman 212 100W if looking for a -$300 but for a little better and still good price get a tube marshall or a peave valevking(be aware that the reverb is terrible on the valveking)
Quote by jc349
Will you gig, or are you fine with a low-wattage amp?
What guitar do you have?
Can you elaborate on the styles you play? Rock is a really general term.

Sure.

I have a good old crappy Squier Strat...but plan on upgrading within 2 yearsish

I meant to be sorta general with the rock because the pedal system allows me to use many different effects and sounds. I play everything from Green Day to U2 to the Beatles to Ozzy...

I'll say yes for the Gig as I'd like an amp I'd use for quite a few years, but a low wattage amp would be perfectly OK.

And just to reiterate I'm not looking to really pay extra for the effects of the amp as the pedal system has everything I need.
Quote by withoutreason93
Personally, I think you should buy a Mesa. Reasonable prices for beginners.

I'll assume that is a joke because those look friggen expensive.
Definitely get a Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
I wouldn't even be sure how many watts I want.

Would 30 give off a good sound yet still work to play live?
30 watts tube is enough to play live. Not sure about 30 solid state watts, depends on the size of the gig. If you can mic it up that would probably be your best option.

I once saw someone mic a 10w Peavey Backstage SS amp, and it sounded surprisingly good.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Obama FTW
Definitely get a Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr.

I can never figure out what a tube amp is, referring to person rightbefore this post.

Do either of the above fit? If not, suggestions?
Hey, wait, did you say you have a GNX processor? Won't that mean you'll need an amp that takes pedals nicely?
Quote by TubeAmp89
Hey, wait, did you say you have a GNX processor? Won't that mean you'll need an amp that takes pedals nicely?

Yes. I'm asking what that would be

Anyone else?
Just buy a power amp and a small cab. Or maybe a used fender combo like a hot rod or something.
So from the above posts I am looking for an inexpensive yet good quality tube amp 30 watts. Suggestions?
Quote by zipmike
So from the above posts I am looking for an inexpensive yet good quality tube amp 30 watts. Suggestions?

Unless you find a GREAT deal on clist, it's not going to happen, so save up, or go troll craiglist
Quote by Sguit
Unless you find a GREAT deal on clist, it's not going to happen, so save up, or go troll craiglist

I would prefer to buy a new one from a reliable source (like a store). What if I said I didn't need one that could play live? Would that help the situation?

$300 max.

Any specific brand names and model names? I find some of this confusing

Thanks!
Quote by kyle62
If you're happy with your tones from the GNX, just grab a poweramp (something nice and compact like a Crate Powerblock maybe) and a cab, and you're all set.

Sorry to be so difficult - I do not know what a cab is or which Crate I would like

Can someone link me to my options and explain the differences? Thank you soooo much!
With the system you have for effects, anything from 50w SS or 20w tube will suit if the clean sound is good. A fender combo has the cleans but wouldn't be perfect with your processor (not that anyone listening might notice)
If you do look at used, remember SS amps last a long time without any major work needing to be done. If you find a Fender Yale it should be well within your budget and those little things were built like tanks, so no reliability issues.
In valve amps, the Fender Super Champ XD 15w comes to mind if you shop around for a good price. Otherwise the Epiphone Valve Senior (20w) has a pretty good reputation.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

On worldmusicsupply.com you can get a crate 120 watt amp for $230. Or you could get the 50 wattt tube for $200 but that amp isn't that great. The tubes and speakers suck so with the upgraded mods it would cost about $320. I suggest getting the flexwave. It's great for a beginner and great for the price. I love mine. The distortion on it's pretty good but I use my pedals. It takes pedals beautifuly so I think you've just found your amp

Edit: remember a tube amp will only shine when you crank it or use an od pedal with it. I don't think your processor will let you use od and distortion at the same time. Of course a tube will sound better but at low volumes they will not sound that different.
Last edited by {MetalShredder} at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by zipmike
Sorry to be so difficult - I do not know what a cab is or which Crate I would like

Can someone link me to my options and explain the differences? Thank you soooo much!

cab is short for cabinet, no not for your plates, for speakers.

he said crate powerblock, its s power amp, so it doesnt have a speaker like a combo amp, which is why you would need a cab.
Quote by josh.
cab is short for cabinet, no not for your plates, for speakers.

he said crate powerblock, its s power amp, so it doesnt have a speaker like a combo amp, which is why you would need a cab.

I would just get a combo because you don't want to transport cabs to gigs when your a beginner. The flexwave has wheels so you can transport it easily and it's not that heavey.
Last edited by {MetalShredder} at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by zipmike
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/search.aspx?si=&sp=crate+120

I get really confuzed by all this head, cabinet, stack lingo lol.

Which of those above is the one you suggest? Thanks for the help btw Shredder, you're the man

Have a good read of the 'Ultimate Gear Information Sticky', its very helpful and will be much quicker than getting us lot to explain everything to you. Specifically this bit:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4375363&postcount=4
Quote by zipmike
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/search.aspx?si=&sp=crate+120

I get really confuzed by all this head, cabinet, stack lingo lol.

Which of those above is the one you suggest? Thanks for the help btw Shredder, you're the man

My pleasure to help. Don't get the halfstack though. Although it may look cooler it does not sound any different. If you want to get a halfstack you have to spend $1000 for a good one. The combo also has free shipping and the halfstack has $60 shipping. Plus your parents might not even let you get the stack because it will me too big. Don't spend the extra $120 bucks on the stack. You'll love the combo and it is way easier to take to gigs and to your friends house to jam. A halfstack weighs like 100 pounds! Not very easy to transport and definitley not for a beginner. The combo is $400 at guitar center. You can get it for $230! It also includes the footswitch and has free shipping. Trust me the combo is big and loud to. You will not be dissapointed.
Quote by {MetalShredder}
My pleasure to help. Don't get the halfstack though. Although it may look cooler it does not sound any different. If you want to get a halfstack you have to spend $1000 for a good one. The combo also has free shipping and the halfstack has $60 shipping. Plus your parents might not even let you get the stack because it will me too big. Don't spend the extra $120 bucks on the stack. You'll love the combo and it is way easier to take to gigs and to your friends house to jam. A halfstack weighs like 100 pounds! Not very easy to transport and definitley not for a beginner. The combo is $400 at guitar center. You can get it for $230! It also includes the footswitch and has free shipping. Trust me the combo is big and loud to. You will not be dissapointed.

On that link the half stack is only like 60 dollars more. Can someone tell me the difference and if its worth it? (Keeping in mind shipping for combo is free and halfstack is like 65 bucks)
So far most of what I have seen is crappy amps that are big and loud. I suggest an Epiphone Valve Jr. It takes pedals well, is tube, and is an excellent rock amp. Where are you located?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
So far most of what I have seen is crappy amps that are big and loud. I suggest an Epiphone Valve Jr. It takes pedals well, is tube, and is an excellent rock amp. Where are you located?

Connecticut, and I'm not really looking for a used one, nor a 5 watt amp?
You can get a used Peavey Classic 30 for $300 if you are willing to go used and stretch the budget a bit. It is a great amp clean and distorted. It will take your pedal fine and will sound great for when you get tired of the muti-fx sound.
Quote by zipmike
Connecticut, and I'm not really looking for a used one, nor a 5 watt amp?

They are 250 new for the half stack and 5 watts tube is plenty.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
They are 250 new for the half stack and 5 watts tube is plenty.

5 watts tube is plenty? How loud we talking? Will I still get an awesome sound from my pedals?
It can be mic'd for gigs, is quiet enough for practice, and can get over a drummer (unless he hits like a gorrilla) although don't expect cleans with a drummer. They take pedals very well, mine actually makes a Metal Zone sound pretty good.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

^Yes, but the TS doesn't want used and a C-30 under 300 can be hard to find depending on where you're at. I couldn't find one, so I had to get my VK.

Not shooting you down, that is the best option, but he may not be that lucky. Just putting options out there
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75