So i understand that many top of the range guitars have to be high wattage because the headroom makes them sound better than if they were 5watts or something, but how much headroom is normally required? I rarely go half way on a tiny terror i have and would like a top quality amp with sufficient headroom at low volumes, so i can crank it.
Headroom is a pretty wide topic.
It depends on a few things,
How loud do you wanna be?
What is your genre?
How loud is your drummer?

50-100 watts is generally more than enough headroom for anyone.
If you like the orange sound go for the rockerverb 50. its fantastic at low volumes too.
No, lots of guitar amps have high wattage so they stay clean without distorting.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It has a lot to do with the type of tubes used as well. Tubes like the EL-84 break up easier and sooner, so your going to have less headroom. I mean basically all headroom means is how loud you can crank the amp cleanly before it starts to break up. Every amp is different. For example all 50 watt amps aren't gonna break up at the same volume because of different designs and tubes. So its best to try them out for yourself and get an idea of what works best for what you want.
Quote by Raijouta
No, lots of guitar amps have high wattage so they stay clean without distorting.

Thats what headroom is.
Quote by Optimus Rhyme
Headroom is a pretty wide topic.
It depends on a few things,
How loud do you wanna be?
What is your genre?
How loud is your drummer?

50-100 watts is generally more than enough headroom for anyone.
If you like the orange sound go for the rockerverb 50. its fantastic at low volumes too.

Studio use only.

5150 style amp required.

Various genres.

Lowest possible volume.

Want to use 6l6s or kt88s dont want el34s
Why are you concenrating on the technical specs? Pay more attention to the tone of the amp instead. Play some amps live and decide...
So I'm guessing you want a high gain unit for studio use.
Try Randall RM20 with whatever module, I'm not too familiar with them
also Krank Rev Jr Pro.
Wait...these are american voiced amps..Well sorry, I'm not too familiar with British amps, if that's what you're looking for..
But my point is..don't care about what tube the amp uses...see if it SOUNDS good...that should be the only criterion.
Quote by TubeAmp89
Why are you concenrating on the technical specs? Pay more attention to the tone of the amp instead. Play some amps live and decide...
So I'm guessing you want a high gain unit for studio use.
Try Randall RM20 with whatever module, I'm not too familiar with them
also Krank Rev Jr Pro.
Wait...these are american voiced amps..Well sorry, I'm not too familiar with British amps, if that's what you're looking for..
But my point is..don't care about what tube the amp uses...see if it SOUNDS good...that should be the only criterion.

? Im not walking into a guitar asking for tube amps carrying 6l6s only obviously, but it has an impact on the sound obviously. The original question was about headroom. I have had hi grade amps in the past like Framus Cobra but i havent been able to crank them which is obviously an issue BECAUSE I PLAY STUDIO ONLY Lower wattage or british style amps are not the sound i am looking for.
Does that make sense?