I have been trying to improve the tone of my JSX for a while now, and have 2 questions for you guys.

1. It was suggested on a forum that to get a better, fuller more powerful tone, that instead of bypassing the effects loop, insert a cable to connect the input to output then turning the effects loop on. I must say the volume level definitely increased a LOT from this, but I cannot check the effects it has on my tone tonight because everyone is asleep so I cannot play very loud at all. Are there negative effects of doing this?

2. I have not changed the tubes on my amp since I bought it (about a year ago), and was looking to bias the tubes myself. I have a volt meter, and know where the terminals are to check the bias, and that there is a knob on the JSX that is used to adjust the bias. Is it pretty straightforward to bias the tubes? From what I have read it did not sound to difficult, but you guys tell me. Any tips would be more than welcome.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Jul 18, 2009,
Dude, don't bias the JSX yourself.

Just swap out the tubes for 6L6's and flick the little switch.
And run an eq with a boost through the effects loop.
I have a JSX also and i was beginning to think it's tone was really thin.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Last edited by think11270 at Jul 18, 2009,
I have a JSX also and i was beginning to think it's tone was really thin.

so you are saying that it did the trick, or you are thinking that now?

Did the 6L6's make that big of a tone diff from the EL34s?

One last more naive question, what do you mean by a 'boost' in the effects loop?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M