Im in a band that plays just metal/hardcore/deathcore and my 10 watt marshall just dosent cut it when it comes to playing loud enough with a drummer. that being said im in the market for a halfstack. my budget is precisley $650, I need a head and a cab, and ive been looking at the Ibanez TBX150H. do you think this will suffice? and if not any suggestions?
Have you considered the Peavy Windsor? Take a look at that amp, its on sale at MF for under 600 I think.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Quote by wair138
Have you considered the Peavy Windsor? Take a look at that amp, its on sale at MF for under 600 I think.

I was considering the windsor but I dont think it has enough gain or distortion for what im looking for
Do you really need a half stack? For that money you have to take what you can get on the used market. Far better to get a reasonable combo than a half stack that will get s******ed at.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

the ibanez toneblaster sounds like sh**.
Don't be so intimidated by changing tubes and things like that.
You have to do it like once every year AT THE MOST.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by jimmyb1014
I like the valveking but do you think its gig worthy? and I also don want to have to worry about tubes and replacing them and all that. im really not biased twoards one or another but I think SS amps would work just fine for me

yes it's gig-worthy.

Don't worry about replacing tubes - as the above says, it's a matter of once a year; not every week.

Get a valve amp for that money - you're ears will thank me.
Quote by jimmyb1014
I was considering the windsor but I dont think it has enough gain or distortion for what im looking for

That Windsor sounds like it has enough gain for anyone..
People seriously get gain happy and don't realize how crappy their tone is.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Or, instead of the Valveking...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12--Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp-582106-i1445921.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-103733606-i1170731.gc

Don't worry about getting a half stack, both of these will be more suited to metal then the Valveking or the Windsor.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
+1 to Peavey 6505 Combo. Á 6505 is actually used by BFMV, In Flames, Machine Head, Trivium. I'd say you should look at a used JCM800 aswell, All That Remains uses one if I'm right.
Go used and look what used amps there are arround, also, compare and try a lot of amps and see what you like, for that much money you could get something really nice. And you don't need a halfstack, although, for metal it is nice in my opinion. Just compare everything and see what you like. Don't jump into buying something to quick, because you might later regret it. If you for example buy an SS now, that'd be a huge waste of money.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
if u could pay like 50$ more u could get a valveking 212, its a great amp
and could pull off ur style
or as STABxYOU said, try the B-52 AT
personally id try the 212 valveking, cos i hear the B-52 always gets banged up in the shipping
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
You're not going to get a good halfstack for $650, no way in hell.

For that money you could either get a piece-of-sh!t cheapo half-stack, or a used Mesa Boogie Mark III/DC-5/F50 combo.... which do you think is going to be the better amp?

And you don't 'need' a head and cab. No-one 'needs' a head and cab - you use whatever is most appropriate for your budget and sound. Since your budget is limited, you'll have to accept that you need to compromise.
Quote by pinguinpanic
If you for example buy an SS now, that'd be a huge waste of money.

That's not true, if OP gets a used Ampeg SS or VH it'll sound at least as good as any of the tube amps recommended in this thread. If OP gets an older used Marshall or Randall SS amp, he'll have a decent sounding amp that compares reasonably well with any of the tube amps recommended.

The tube vs solid state argument means a lot less when discussing high gain or super clean tones, transistors do those both pretty well and good SS designs do both just as well as tubes.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by pinguinpanic
+1 to Peavey 6505 Combo. Á 6505 is actually used by BFMV, In Flames, Machine Head, Trivium. I'd say you should look at a used JCM800 aswell, All That Remains uses one if I'm right.
Go used and look what used amps there are arround, also, compare and try a lot of amps and see what you like, for that much money you could get something really nice. And you don't need a halfstack, although, for metal it is nice in my opinion. Just compare everything and see what you like. Don't jump into buying something to quick, because you might later regret it. If you for example buy an SS now, that'd be a huge waste of money.

Elaborate, i know SS amps 10x better then lots of valve amps, now back this statement up.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
Elaborate, i know SS amps 10x better then lots of valve amps, now back this statement up.

I am just trying to steer him away from buying some crappy SS, like an MG or something, it's much harder to go wrong with tubes. And I just prefer tube sounds, since you can dial in a lot of sounds that you simply can't do on a SS, like for example nice dynamic crunches. I've never seen a SS do this.

To TS, just test a lot of amp to get to know a lot of amps so you know what you like for what sounds and have some more knowledge about amps and sounds.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4