Ok, to be honest I'm a instrumental kind of guy, I don't really give a crap about vocals or the lyrics (except to some songs). Should I change my ways of listening to music or just stick with it?
Like I said, vocals are meaningless to me, hence the choice not to hear it, I find listening to the bass in a song more entertaining for some reason...
You're retarded for asking this question.

Surely the answer is common sense. There is no "proper" way to listen to music.
Quote by Regression
You're retarded for asking this question.

Surely the answer is common sense. There is no "proper" way to listen to music.

This.

When I was first listening to music all I listened to was guitar mainly. Then I appreciated vocals more. Now I care about lyrics a lot and bass a ton... it just kinda grew on me. Just listen to what you like and how you like.
i used to listen to all music this way(still do alot of the time too). i just plain couldnt understand the vocals. i can understand more vocals from amon amarth than some classic and modern rock ive heard on the radio. the damn melody lines bands use make words sound wierd and i just cant distinguish ha.

its not what theyre saying, its how you feel when youre doing it!

a friend recently said that to me after i took my dad to an opeth concert and he doesnt understand why they have to "sing that way" (growls, at least hes not against it but trying to understand ha). anyways, metal is about feeling. i do think its good to understand the lyrics and meaning of the song sometimes too, but i just think that about music in general. mostly tho, i dont pay TOO much attention to lyrics.

also, youll probably agree it feels more awesome to growl to a song and say something like "I LIVE INSIDE YOU SO YOU DIE" rather than just growling a growl. going along with what my friend said, its about feeling, but theres more feeling if theres meaning attached is what im trying to say
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Ofcourse there is no "Ideal" way of listening to music, but still, some people might consider not listening to vocals as missing out to the orgasmic part of music. Say Danni Filth...That guy is a freakin' genius! But I'm fed up with opening the lyrics to his songs just so I can know what the **** he's saying, again, the reason to not listening to vocals
Quote by Linqua5150

also, youll probably agree it feels more awesome to growl to a song and say something like "I LIVE INSIDE YOU SO YOU DIE" rather than just growling a growl. going along with what my friend said, its about feeling, but theres more feeling if theres meaning attached is what im trying to say

That is mainly true, but some bands arent worth it...theyre lyrics makes you wanna ****ing puke, but the music behind the vocals...It makes you hypnotized and want more of it!
Quote by Frostychill
That is mainly true, but some bands arent worth it...theyre lyrics makes you wanna ****ing puke, but the music behind the vocals...It makes you hypnotized and want more of it!

yea ill agree, i pay attention least while listening to straight death metal etc, and the most when listening to proggy etc kind of stuff. more meaning.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Some people might think the vocals are amazing, but if they don't interest you, then it's as simple as that. Listen to the parts you like, not what others like.