hello fellow UGers... we're talking about boss here, naturally... however i own a DS1 and i wonder just how much better DS2 is... some say there's not much difference, some say huge... and i'm asking you to tell me the truth...

I play rock combined with some heavy stuff and some easy funky lines, so i'm looking for something more brootal...

anyway i saw this BOSS MT2 for 60€ on the internet.. (DS2 is 50&euro

and yes i play a SSS strat which i'm not giving up for some humbucker guitar in order to get a thicker tone... so far i've obverdubbed my amp distortion with DS1 and it's been quite nice...

however... suggestions?

Best regards, Serjem
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
They all suck stock. What amp do you use? Also, even though you like them, single coils take alot more work to sound good under high gain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Single coils won't do metal.

I foresee a Mini Super Distortion or a JB Jr in your future.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i'm not looking to do metal..

i'm looking for some havey distorted tone... frusciante sounds like that sometimes..

i think the soing turn it again is the one (chorus
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
If you're not looking to do metal, skip the MT-2. It's harsh and fizzy as all hell. It's a tin of bees, the gain knob just alters how shaken the can is.

A Big Muff might be better suited, or a good compliment to the DS-1. It's thicker/fatter/warmer, it's almost fuzzy, but not quite.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I can't offer anything to this thread but to say I had a SSS strat and an MT-2 and would strongly advise against it if you are not going for actual metal. Like StabxYou said, it sounds really harsh and as far as I could work it I could never get anything other than a super thin, harsh distortion out of it, no good for RHCP type stuff. I got it because someone on here sold it to me for like 25 bucks and the best thing I did with it was trade it in to my local guitar shop.
Get A MIJ DS-2 They Rock!
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
The difference between the DS-1 and the DS-2 is the second voicing. It's describes as a 'lead' mode and sounds brighter. You pretty much can't put the distortion lower than 1 o clock or it sounds rather thin.

Tbh, Froosh's tone probably comes more from his Silver Jubilee or whatever amp he uses.
Frusciante uses a Turbo Distortion and a Big Muff in his rig. I think you'd be better off with the Big Muff if you're looking for the heavyish sound he uses. If you can, look into an English Muff'n.

Forkman - Not so much. It has a lot to do with it, but Frusciante is one to alter his tone dramatically with his pedals. Have you seen the size of his pedalboard? It's massive.
i modded my DS-1 to be much more transparent and less harsh, i can send you the schematic if you want, i'll have to go draw it out though.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
MT2 is crap IMO . dont touch that ..

the ds-2 is good but still sound like a digital distortion . but the second channel is nice but this pedal wont do any metal ... the palmuting just doesnt work IMO ... i heard it work well with tube amp ( i have a solid state ) . its the pedal you have to try before you buy . im gonna get mine modified as i paid 40 $ canadian for it .

id say get something better for dostortion like a mi audio crunch box . for around 90 euro .
Quote by kyle62
Seriously, what amp are you using? With a warm-voiced, cranked tube amp the DS-1 is superb, but with others it's far too bright and shrill.

also, from my experiece, the ds-1 is a great boost, even stock.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by STABxYOU
Single coils won't do metal.

I disagree.

I will try to post some high gain stuff in my profile sometime soon.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by Skysc
MT2 is crap IMO . dont touch that ..

the ds-2 is good but still sound like a digital distortion . but the second channel is nice but this pedal wont do any metal ... the palmuting just doesnt work IMO ... i heard it work well with tube amp ( i have a solid state ) . its the pedal you have to try before you buy . im gonna get mine modified as i paid 40 $ canadian for it .

id say get something better for dostortion like a mi audio crunch box . for around 90 euro .

How can an analog pedal sound digital?

The crunch box is a great pedal though, definitely worth the shake if you're willing to go that high.

I modded my ds1 to keeley specs and it isn't bad, you could probably do a little better than the keeley mods, but the plans for those were easily available. Certainly not a bad pedal for 40 bucks plus a few parts.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Skysc
the ds-2 is good but still sound like a digital distortion . but the second channel is nice but this pedal wont do any metal

It's an analog circuit, it can't possibly sound digital. It sounds like crap, but that's not the same as digital.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!