I apologize if it's inappropriate to post a thread about this outside of the set up thread but I thought I might get some answers in a more expedient manner this way.

Here is the situation: I have a Jackson Kelly with a licensed Floyd Rose bridge that always worked brilliantly in standard E tuning. I almost never had to mess about with keeping it in tune. Recently however I decided to have a go at putting it in drop D tuning. I played with the springs that tension the bridge and all that but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to stay in tune now. Every time I pick it up all the strings have gone flat or sharp. New strings didn't help either.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? It is really frustrating because it's my favorite guitar and I would prefer to be able to leave it in drop D but I'm about ready to give up and just leave it standard again. Thank you in advance for any posts.
Quote by Ineedmoney427
Here is the situation: I have a Jackson Kelly with a licensed Floyd Rose bridge that always worked brilliantly in standard E tuning. I almost never had to mess about with keeping it in tune. Recently however I decided to have a go at putting it in drop D tuning. I played with the springs that tension the bridge and all that but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to stay in tune now. Every time I pick it up all the strings have gone flat or sharp. New strings didn't help either.

There's your problem, FR + Drop D = headaches
Does that guitar have a full floating tremolo? If you block the tremolo so it's dive only and tighten the springs most of your headaches will go away. The guitar will not only stay in tune, it will sound better too.
Read the floyd rose setup guide.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by azn_guitarist25
have you stretched these strings out? is your bridge parallel to your body?

Yes to both questions.
FR + Drop D = Fine... if your guitar is set up for Drop D. Then standard tuning becomes a pain.

Check the FR setup guide.
this sound like deja vu give me a minute and i will post my explanation on FR's AGAIN

And dont listen to this guy
Quote by pwrmax
There's your problem, FR + Drop D = headaches

( I have a FR and mines in drop D and not locked it can be done)

EDIT: HERE, Read this

Quote by Guitar_AXL
Thats what happens when you have a floting trem. I have a floating trem. if you are tuning from one tuning to another, puting on new strings, or just plain old tuning, its what happens, I dont use the locks on mine, sure it may trash the strings, but its better than taking them off everytime i play just to reattach them,

in a floyd rose all the strings tension must be equal if you tune one string higher than the other(and increase the tension of that string) all the rest of the strings are pulled out of tune. You must find the balance of tension and tune for all the strings. And that takes longer than just tuning your strings on a regular guitar without a floyd.

Another thing, it takes a floyd awhile to stretch and unstretch the strings when tuning a guitar, and if you leave your tremmello bar on the floyd when you set it down it actually can untune your strings.
Last edited by Guitar_AXL at Jul 18, 2009,
Listen everyone, I have read the FR setup guide, it was of no help to me. If that is all advice you have, then please feel free to direct your opinions to the nearest brick wall. I know about intonation and all that. I was hoping that someone with a similar problem would help me. I will seek other solutions to my predicament. Thank you all anyway.
And another point; I'd rather not leave it unlocked as that somewhat defies the point of the whole system.
Look, don't get snippy.

Detuning the E string to D changes the amount of tension on all the strings, thus throwing the rest of your strings out of tune. You need to retune the entire guitar for Drop D (there's an FR tuning guide somewhere, I think in the setup guide) and then possibly reintonate it.
it`s your intonation that needs setting up.

another point thats worth mentioning is whether it`s going sharp or flat when it goes out as strings can be over stretched then try to return to a natural position.

are the string retaining blocks on the bridge tight (a simple oversight)

you haven`t said whether you fitted new strings when you decided to tune down or whether you`ve changed guage.

finally dont get narky with peeps that are trying to help it is a web based forum and is no substitute for someone that has the guitar physically in front of them.