Ok, so i'm recording an EP with my band at the end of the month. We are a metal band, playing arch enemy/lamb of god/pantera/dream theater kind of stuff.

The studio we're recording at has a number of amps available. They are:
H&K Triamp mk2, Peavey 6505, Marshall 8100 head, Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier.

I wont have a chance to try out these amps before the recording, i'm just wondering what people think would be the best for nice metal tone?

I'm recording the 2 different guitar parts myself as our other guitarist is leaving, should I use different amps for the 2 guitar parts?

The guitar I will be recording with is an Ibanez S320, with stock pups.

If anyone has any good settings for metal tone for the amps above, please feel free to share them with me and i'll take a note of them, i'd like to have as much information about them before going into the studio.

Finally, if anyone wants to check out my band to get an idea of what kinda stuff we play, heres the link: www.myspace.com/visitorqband

Thanks in advance!
I'd probably use the Boogie based on what I heard from your myspace clips.

I would use two different amps if recording 2 guitar parts, probably the Boogie with the mids scooped a bit and the H&K with the mids boosted and the highs and lows cut slightly. I would avoid the 8100 for sure and the 6505 might work, if you can try them out even for a few minutes before, I would do it no matter what.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks man, appreciate that advice. I was leaning towards using the h&k and the mesa from the information i've gathered. I will definetly be trying them all out, even if it takes an hour out of our recording time, i'm not gonna record with them until i'm completely happy with the tone! I've made that mistake before
use them all! then brag about it later lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If you are paying for the studio time, then you should be able to try the amps out. What about your own amp since you already know how that sounds you could save time by using that. I had my amp in the studio because that was my sound and thats the sound I wanted on the cd, the same as when I play live. You can check out I Am The Shadow in my mp3´s. It was recorded in the studio but not mastered and still has a great sound.
Quote by mmolteratx
I'd probably use the Boogie based on what I heard from your myspace clips.

I would use two different amps if recording 2 guitar parts, probably the Boogie with the mids scooped a bit and the H&K with the mids boosted and the highs and lows cut slightly. I would avoid the 8100 for sure and the 6505 might work, if you can try them out even for a few minutes before, I would do it no matter what.

i like this idea
i'd of ran straight to the H&K but only coz of my personal love of that amp

a nice slightly mid boosted tone isbass 6 mid 6/7 treble 8

then again i'd fiddle around with it to seewhat sound you like
Yeah your right sstony. I should have a chance to try them at pre production.. As for my own amp, unfortunatly I only have a line 6 flextone 3 at the moment. Its fine for practicing and small gigs but i'm sure these full tube amps will sound better on the recording
Don't worry about your EQing that much because in the studio, the engineer will handle it to a much, much more precise level than you will. Mic positions, mic choices and post-EQ will have much more effect on the sound than you twiddling the knobs will. With that said, I would go with the Mesa and H&K.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
No probs. Focus on your playing 100% if you want the final product to sound good. Cheers.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Me personally, I'd use the 8100 and the 6505.

Yes, use two different amps, it will help make your tracks stand out from each other a bit more.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2