Page 1 of 5
Americans only.

I need some quotes for my essay on Ausralian music breaking into the US. So it would be really helpful if you could answer these questions for me

As much detail as possible would be great. For example in the first question, if you have heard of them, write about what you know of them.

1. Have you heard of Mushroom records?

2. Have you heard of AC/DC?

3. Have you heard of Kylie Minogue?

4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind?

5. What do you think of Australian music? Is it good?

6. (for you old timers ) What did you think of Australian music before you knew of AC/DC?

7. (this one's for everyone) What do you think of Australia in general?

It would be really helpful if you guys could answer these questions, credit will go to you in the essay, give me a PM if you want a copy of it.

EDIT: It'd be helpful if I could get your name (last name can just initials i fneed be) and where in the US you're from.
Last edited by mdwallin at Jul 18, 2009,
I actually came into here ready to type inb4 ACDC and Kylie Minogue.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
No
Unfortunately...
No
4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind?
None
Meh.
6. (for you old timers ) What did you think of Australian music before you knew of AC/DC?
I'm not old.
Beer and BBQ!
what if we're not from the US?

edit: :faceplam: missed the thread tittie, thought it read "averange musicians"
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Last edited by Laces Out Danny at Jul 18, 2009,
1. Have you heard of Mushroom records? No.

2. Have you heard of AC/DC? Yes, but I don't like them.

3. Have you heard of Kylie Minogue? No.

4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind? Cut Copy. They're a band similar to Daft Punk I found on Pandora. Also Airborne, but I don't listen to them.

5. What do you think of Australian music? Is it good? Same as music from everywhere else. Come to think of it, I don't have much non-American music.

6. (for you old timers ) What did you think of Australian music before you knew of AC/DC? ...Nothing, I was like 10 when I first heard of AC/DC

7. (this one's for everyone) What do you think of Australia in general? It's small... Probably really scary though, I bet there's a bunch of snakes and spiders and ****
...I like metal.
1. Have you heard of Mushroom records? no.

2. Have you heard of AC/DC? Yes.

3. Have you heard of Kylie Minogue? Yes.

4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind? The Veronicas, The Living End, Wolfmother, Jet, Men At Work, Bodyjar

5. What do you think of Australian music? Is it good? i gotta be honest, the veronicas are my guilty pleasure and the living end are great. other than that it's meh

6. (for you old timers ) What did you think of Australian music before you knew of AC/DC? I'm 19.

7. (this one's for everyone) What do you think of Australia in general? Rednecks. Vegemite. Kangaroos. The sexiest accent any woman could ever have.

Initials: AXL (i'm totally serious. those are my initials.)
Go Veg.
Last edited by im not mental at Jul 18, 2009,
Tyler, from Florida

Yes

yes

No

Jet, Wolfmother, The Living End, Silverchair, Sick Puppies, INXS, Men at Work I could probably think of others if i wasn't half asleep

Indeed

'tis a great place.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jul 18, 2009,
1. No
2. Yes
3. No
4. Men at Work and Parkway Drive
5. The only 3 Australian artists that I know off the top of my head are AC/DC, Men at Work and Parkway Drive, so based on that, not so great
6. N/a
7. The outback, kangaroos, fosters, and Steve Irwin
Just for four silverchair and sick puppies
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Quote by im not mental
1. Have you heard of Mushroom records? no.

3. Have you heard of Kylie Minogue? Yes.

4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind? The Veronicas, The Living End, Wolfmother, Jet, Men At Work, Bodyjar

5. What do you think of Australian music? Is it good? i gotta be honest, the veronicas are my guilty pleasure and the living end are great. other than that it's meh

6. (for you old timers ) What did you think of Australian music before you knew of AC/DC? I'm 19.

7. (this one's for everyone) What do you think of Australia in general? Rednecks. Vegemite. Kangaroos. The sexiest accent any woman could ever have.

Initials: AXL (i'm totally serious. those are my initials.)

WTF?
Last edited by ShallowEndings at Jul 18, 2009,
1. Have you heard of Mushroom records? No.

2. Have you heard of AC/DC? Yup.

3. Have you heard of Kylie Minogue? Yup.

4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind? INXS, Men At Work

5. What do you think of Australian music? Is it good? INXS totally rocks.

7. (this one's for everyone) What do you think of Australia in general? Boring, hated Nicole Kidman's performance. ...Just Kidding, Australia rocks.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
SlinkyBlue: um.. ok
skaterskagg1: how very helpful
Laces Out Danny: another helpful one
Sax2: thanks man, no quotes, but info for sure
im not mental: awesome, thanks heaps, got a couple fo quotes there
crazy8rgood: nice list of aussie artists
TV-Casualty: great.. :P
1: no
2: unfortunately
3: yes, I didn't know she was Australian though.
4: Liam Finn. Xavier Rudd. I like Australian Aboriginal music a lot, I've actually learned the digeridoo too. There's probably more artists that I know but don't that they're Australian.
5: That's a bit of an odd question, Australian music is really diverse just like music anywhere else, I can't really give a definite answer to this.
6: not old enough
7: I think it seems like a wonderful country, my girlfriend and I are actually planning to go there some day. A friend I have there sent me a tourist book full of amazing pictures a couple months back.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Jul 18, 2009,
1. Have you heard of Mushroom records? Nope.

3. Have you heard of Kylie Minogue? Don't think so. Name a song she did.

4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind? The Veronicas and Men at Work.

5. What do you think of Australian music? Is it good? Well, what I know of it isn't all that great.

6. (for you old timers ) What did you think of Australian music before you knew of AC/DC? Can't answer that one.

7. (this one's for everyone) What do you think of Australia in general? Sounds like a pretty cool place.

Cambron C. from (don't laugh now) Kentucky.
Quote by ShallowEndings
WTF?

one of my friends told me there's lots of rednecks in the outback...

but really i'd love to visit australia sometime. i might even go there for study abroad.
Go Veg.
No

YES!
No
Wolfmother and jet
From what all I've heard, yes.

Seems like a cool place. I'd like to go there one day.
1no
2yes
3no
4none
5no opinion
6no idea
7home of natalie the coolest youtube person
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
1. Have you heard of Mushroom records? Yes.

2. Have you heard of AC/DC? Unfortunately, yes.

3. Have you heard of Kylie Minogue? Yep.

4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind? Silverchair, The Vines, and John Butler Trio. Oh, and Nick Cave. I love him.

5. What do you think of Australian music? Is it good? Good, but nothing really groundbreaking.

6. (for you old timers ) What did you think of Australian music before you knew of AC/DC? I thought maybe it could be decent. Then ACDC came and made me never want to give Aussies another chance.

Honestly? I feel my country should go to war with your country because of Crocodile Dundee. And when we're done with that, we should send everyone who has an outtie belly button to live on your Island.

Oh, I'm Cory from Missouri.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by Sax2

7. (this one's for everyone) What do you think of Australia in general? It's small... Probably really scary though, I bet there's a bunch of snakes and spiders and ****

Small???

lol, it's only a tiny bit smaller than america!
Quote by Hobble
1: no
2: unfortunately
3: yes, I didn't know she was Australian though.
4: Liam Finn. Xavier Rudd. I like Australian Aboriginal music a lot, I've actually learned the digeridoo too. There's probably more artists that I know but don't that they're Australian.
5: That's a bit of an odd question, Australian music is really diverse just like music anywhere else, I can't really give a definite answer to this.
6: not old enough
7: I think it seems like a wonderful country, my girlfriend and I are actually planning to go there some day. A friend I have there sent me a tourist book full of amazing pictures a couple months back.

He's New Zealand's, sorry.
No, I have not.

Yes, I have. I used to really like them in 7th and 8th grade.

Nope.

I believe Blindside is Australian, but I'm not sure.

I usually don't take note where a band is from, so I'm not sure what music is Australian.

I'm not old.

Steve freakin' Irwin is the first thing/person I think of when I think of Australia. And lots of animals.

ZTB from Claremore, Oklahoma, USA
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
Quote by Regression
He's New Zealand's, sorry.

He was born in Melbourne.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
i live in Kansas.. literally middle america..

1. Have you heard of Mushroom records? no.. never

2. Have you heard of AC/DC? yes. i hate them.

3. Have you heard of Kylie Minogue? lol yes i have. im 23. i remember she had a few hits in the 90s?

4. Other than AC/DC and Kylie Minogue, what other australian artists come to mind? do you count Flight of the Condcords? sadly i know that savage garden are aussies. i own a didgeridoo.. ...isnt air supply from there too?

lol and duh.
WOLFMOTHER

5. What do you think of Australian music? i hate ac/dc. i ****ing love wolfmother. i saw them in Oklahoma before they broke up and re-hatched.

6. (for you old timers ) What did you think of Australian music before you knew of AC/DC? i dig the aboriginal stuff.. didgeridoos own.

7. (this one's for everyone) What do you think of Australia in general? it seems like a cool place in american media...but i heard you guys are retarded right wing capitalists like america too though.... so thats gay. still.. id like to visit someday, see that big rock yall have. see a kangaroo. get stoned with a koala. you know, the usual.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Last edited by Early Cuyler at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by Hobble

And John Butler was born in American, but we let the Australians have him.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Just chalk it up to stereotypical American ignorance then
...I like metal.
Quote by Hobble

But his parents are New Zealanders and he moved to New Zealand when he was young.

Angus Young and Malcom Young are considered Australian musicians despite being born in Scotland. Therefore New Zealand gets to claim Liam Finn.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
And John Butler was born in American, but we let the Australians have him.

Well I'm giving Liam back to Australia, I'm filing the ownership applications now.

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by Regression
But his parents are New Zealanders and he moved to New Zealand when he was young.

Angus Young and Malcom Young are considered Australian musicians despite being born in Scotland. Therefore New Zealand gets to claim Liam Finn.

Oh well, either way he kicks ass.

---Pope John XXIII
Will you strap a nuclear missile to him while you're doing it? I mean... Crocodile Dundee.. you know.
Quote by vintage x metal

1.Yes
2.Yes, but didn't know they were from Australia.
3.No
4.Wolfmother
5.Pretty much the same as music from other places. As far as I've heard.
6.n/a
7.A pretty similar culture to America, Britian, etc. just with boomerangs and big ass spiders.

Kyle M.
Southeastern Ohio
Quote by handbanana78

^First time I've ever made a funny

Quote by deathcore101

okay Mike my advice for you is, don't sleep with your sister
Yes but just by name.

Yes

Yes

the crocodile dundee

i'm not really sure what "australian" music is. i don't really consider ac/dc a representation of "australian music"....

honestly, i have no opinion because i know nothin about it other than stereotypical things, kangaroos, koalas, and the cool accent. just because i feel like australia is never in the "world news headlines"

my names Wes from california
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Nope.

Who hasn't? They rock, simply put.

Nope

The Presets are Australian, I believe. Best electronica/dance group ever. No exaggerations.

Way too general of a question for me to answer.

I'm not old...don't be so insensitive...time just doesn't agree with some of us...

Seems like a cool place. Some interesting cities, and nature seems to have taken an interesting course down there, definitely worth checking out.

Brian from Central California
Last edited by Merman_of_83 at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by Roast Beef
If he was born on a plane, would he be a Boeing?

a boing boing
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Roast Beef
If he was born on a plane, would he be a Boeing?

I think it would make him a interesting.

....Alright, I'm sorry guys. That Fozzy Bear type joke was uncalled for.
Quote by vintage x metal

Cory R.
Louisiana

No.

Yes.

No.

Wolfmother.

Pretty good.

I didn't.

Kangaroos and Outback steakhouse.

G'day mate.
Last edited by coryklok at Jul 18, 2009,
Page 1 of 5