Page 1 of 2
Hi,

As I said in the title. This is a Pro Tools question, but it isn't what you are thinking. Please, after reading the first part of my question, read the next part or I will just seem like an idiot who can't use the search option.

Part 1:
I have a Presonus Firepod. It comes with Cubase LE. I've seen Pro Tools in action and it looks far better and user friendly. Naturally, I want to use Pro Tools.

KEEP READING!

Part 2:
I know that Pro Tools requires M Hardware to work. I'm not cheap. I'm willing to buy some of this hardware if it means I can use Pro Tools. What I want to know is; Could I somehow connect my Firepod with say, an M-Box 2, and then run into Pro Tools?

I originally didn't buy an M-Box because they only offer 6 inputs rather than the 8 that the firepod offers.

I hope that I was able to justify that I'm not asking if I can use Pro Tools with just my Firepod.

Thanks for your time,

Eden
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Short answer, No.

If we're talking about the Mbox 2, the closest you'll get is using it's 2 built in pre-amps, then running the S/PDIF out of your Firepod into the S/PDIF in on the Mbox 2 to achieve a total of 4 pre-amps. Waste of time? You're damn right.

Whilst I understand your plight, it's an all to common scenario you're in and there's no reasonable way around it.

My suggestion: Stick with Cubase... OR... Sell your firepod and go buy an M-audio Profire 2626 (8 pre's plus 16 channels of ADAT should you want to expand) Which runs with ProTools M-Powered, which incidentally is the set-up I currently use.

I know this doesn't actually help you at all,

Sorreh .
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
I'm not sure I could get enough money from selling my Firepod to pay for the Profire. Unless you wanna swap ;D

My main problem is really just that from my quick looks, Cubase isn't user friendly. Do you know of any recording programs that compare to the quality of Pro Tools and Cubase etc?
"if i were you I wouldn't fiddle with the feet etc. as that nullifies warranty but yeh, just get up in digitech's grill and demand they make you a custom whammy that is purple and gold and fires rockets when you bend +2 octaves"
Shy of the ProFire, perhaps one of the FastTrack Ultra/8R Models?

You've probably heard it 1,000,000 times before but Reaper is quite good. I used to use it with my current set-up, but I recently got PT8.0. Reaper has a nice clean interface, super customizable and it comes with the most comprehensive manual I've ever read. If you can read through that user guide and not understand how the program works I'll give you a medal . Best of all? It's free! And if you want to use it for at-home-recording purposes the license is incredibly cheap. If you haven't looked into it, I suggest you do.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
I've just gone to its website, and the big picture of that project makes it instantly look like what I like in a recording program!!
One question. Does it have all those bells and whistles that you can download? Like Plug ins for compressors, effects, pitch recognition maybe?
Yes, yes it does. It comes with plenty of Plug-In dynamics and effects processors (the list is in the manual). I believe it does have a AutoTune-esk plug-in, though I've never used it (I use Anteres). I really do consider it to be up to par with Cubase at minimum and in some respects it can outshine ProTools (price perhaps?).

I suggest you spend some time trolling the Reaper Forums and you'll get all the answers you need.
Quote by Shredder XXX
Yes, yes it does. It comes with plenty of Plug-In dynamics and effects processors (the list is in the manual). I believe it does have a AutoTune-esk plug-in, though I've never used it (I use Anteres). I really do consider it to be up to par with Cubase at minimum and in some respects it can outshine ProTools (price perhaps?).

I suggest you spend some time trolling the Reaper Forums and you'll get all the answers you need.

Wow. I thank you so much! This is great. I'm excited to start trying reaper out!

Ultimate-Guitar wins again!
DUDUE HOLD UP! you totally can! what you need to do is get an ilok. its a usb key that you can run protools off of and use your firepod as your interface i am pretty damn sure that will work. cause my buddy uses a saffirepro40 and protools so yes, what i would do is message the protools forum, also. check some other fourms out. but i am pretty sure you can do it if you use ILOK
Catharsis, thankyou so much! I had heard about this ilok thing but wasn't sure what it was. I assumed it was an old recording interface suite.
I'll do some research on it now! Thankyou so much!
I've done some looking around and it appears that the ilok is simply an authorisation device that has codes so you can run Pro Tools and Plug ins.
You're so very right Catharsis.

I completely spaced on the ILOK.

Good catch sir.
Quote by Shredder XXX
You're so very right Catharsis.

I completely spaced on the ILOK.

Good catch sir.

I'm out of my league with this stuff now.
Would you be able explain this ilok a bit further? I did some looking around on the net, but couldn't find any information regarding what I need it for.

Thanks
what an ilok is, its a usb drive that holds all your lisences for many products such as podfarm, waves, protools, etcetc, it can literally not be cracked those some **** heads have made ways to crack programs that use ilok. i have an ilok and i love it. its like 40 bucks on ebay DEFIANTLY get one =)
So... I could get an ilok from ebay and use it with pro tools to use non digidesign hardware? or would I still have to get some hardware too? (Which I'm cool with)
you guys are soooooo wrong.

for LE you need the digi hardware, end of discussion.

for MP you need an M-Audio interface and the protools license on an iLok.

there is no way of running PT without either digi hardware or m-audio hardware.

there is no way of putting a PT license on an iLok and then using it with a firestudio or any other device. if they could then why the hell would anyone stick with the ****ty m-box? dont you think every PT user would have ditched the digi hardware by now if it were possible?

in the case of LE, the m-box is the dongle, in the case of MP, the ilok is the dongle.
Last edited by TheDriller at Jul 19, 2009,
Dissapointing.
I thought that would be the final answer.
Thanks for that
pwnt

the profire 2626 + iLok + PT MP license is gonna be a very expensive package though.
Quote by TheDriller

the profire 2626 + iLok + PT MP license is gonna be a very expensive package though.

This
i say just forget about protools completely, use reaper or cubase and whatever hardware you fancy.
Yea I'll probly just do that.
good man,
focus on the stuff that actually matters

its all about the Mad Skillz in the end, not the software
Yes thats very true! I was just looking around for something to add a bit of magic to the final tracks, but was easy to do it on.

Who knows. Once I start using Cubase, it might turn out to be the most easy program..
the magic is in your head mate.

nice software definatly helps , as i know from stepping up from Reaper to Logic Pro 8, but its not the be-all-and-end-all.
wow! Logic pro 8.. Its the rich and powerful uncle of Garageband!
After a while of trying out Reaper and Cubase etc. I think I might give Logic a go. It looks great!

I'm a very indecisive person, haha
Quote by ede09
wow! Logic pro 8.. Its the rich and powerful uncle of Garageband!
After a while of trying out Reaper and Cubase etc. I think I might give Logic a go. It looks great!

I'm a very indecisive person, haha

Its a brilliant package, lots of top-class plugins included. bear in mind that its mac only, i dunno what computer you have.
check ebay for the Logic Studio package, i got mine brand new, factory sealed for about 200 euro.

and the Profire doesn't include a PTMP license. thats an extra few hundred bucks
In my opinion, Pro Tools is by far the HARDEST to use, out of the big boys.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by CatharsisStudio
well see here is the goodnews. if you have a profire it should come with protools m-powerd! or. whatev but yeah dude reaper user here. i hate drum editing so i just send my tracks off xD

Unfortunatly not. If you read the box it will have a sticker or something on it that says "Compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered." The same sticker on the Profire 2626 can be found on simple $100 M-Audio PCI interface. Regardless of which M-Audio interface you buy, you have to buy M-Powered seperatly.
Quote by Shredder XXX
Shy of the ProFire, perhaps one of the FastTrack Ultra/8R Models?

You've probably heard it 1,000,000 times before but Reaper is quite good. I used to use it with my current set-up, but I recently got PT8.0. Reaper has a nice clean interface, super customizable and it comes with the most comprehensive manual I've ever read. If you can read through that user guide and not understand how the program works I'll give you a medal . Best of all? It's free! And if you want to use it for at-home-recording purposes the license is incredibly cheap. If you haven't looked into it, I suggest you do.

+1,000,000

REAPER is definatly one of the best programs out there. I've used with Cubase LE, Albetion Live Lite, Cakewalk, Tracktion and FL Studio, and out of all of them, my favorite is by far REAPER.

I use FL Studio as a plugin inside REAPER for drums, bass, etc.
Quote by TheDriller
Its a brilliant package, lots of top-class plugins included. bear in mind that its mac only, i dunno what computer you have.
check ebay for the Logic Studio package, i got mine brand new, factory sealed for about 200 euro.

and the Profire doesn't include a PTMP license. thats an extra few hundred bucks

I've just bought a 15" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, so I'm safe there!
hahaha, I guess you are a Mac fan then?
Page 1 of 2