I am currently trying to learn all 5 positions of the minor pentatonic scale. In most video lessons, they use A minor to teach you. This has confused me. Are all the positions just for A minor, or is it where you have start on the root note of whatever key you're playing in of each position and all positions stay the same?

Thanks guys.
The positions/shapes are the same for all keys, you just have to move them to a different root note.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
The positions are just the way the distance between the notes fall out on the fretboard. The pentatonic scale will always have the same distance between it's notes, therefore, the positions will always be the same for different keys, just in different places.

Make sure you don't only learn the positions but you also learn the distances between the notes and how the notes relate with eachother. That way you'll get the most out of the scale.
A scale, scratch that, ANYTHING from a melody or chords or scale or anything that is made by playing notes on a guitar can be transposed into a different key by playing it higher or lower on the fretboard. Capos were invented for that.
Quote by poptard
I am currently trying to learn all 5 positions of the minor pentatonic scale. In most video lessons, they use A minor to teach you. This has confused me. Are all the positions just for A minor, or is it where you have start on the root note of whatever key you're playing in of each position and all positions stay the same?

Thanks guys.

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com/images/view/5

^ these are in G minor.

like everyone else said...... change keys by starting on a different root. ( for example if you want E minor, play a pattern where the root (red note labeled R in those diagrams) is E

You have to know the notes on neck to be able to do this.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 18, 2009,
My best advice is to learn all the major scales first and then learn all the notes on the fretboard through and through then learn how to create pentatonic scales.
Make sure you know where the "root note" is for those shapes. If you learning them for A minor, then the root notes should be wherever you find an A in the shape. If you want to play the same shapes in a different key, all you have to do is move the shape around the fretboard so that the note in the shape that's the root note will be a G, or an F, or whatever you want. The shape is a minor shape, so if you are try to improvise over a song in D minor, it would work, but not necessarily over a song in D major.

You could learn major pentatonic shapes too, but you'll find that the only thing different is the root note, and I'm sure that will confuse you. If you read the Crusade Columns on this site then you will have a better understanding of the difference between major and minor scales, and you'll better understand how to use the shapes that you've learned.

Edit: The Crusade Columns: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=crusade&w=columns
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jul 18, 2009,