does anyone else use there ring finger on the string then just pick it to get a pinch harmonic instead of the pick then thumb it thing?
no
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
I've never heard of harmonics being done that way. I don't think it's actually a "pinch", but still a cool technique for harmonics. I imagine it would have a different sound than a pinch...I'll have to try it out.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
It's the same idea as a pinch and after doing them a few times it sounds pretty much the same, except that i can't do it that quick.
Quote by peacemaker898
It's the same idea as a pinch and after doing them a few times it sounds pretty much the same, except that i can't do it that quick.

so its not like a pinch.

this is usually done on an acoustic as it rings clearer then a pinch harmonic could acoustically, ive seen people like eric johnson and such using it on chords. it is essentially a tapped harmonic so you can achieve the same not as a pinched harmonic.

however the point of a pinch harmonic is to be able to get that sound quickly. so keep practicing your pinch harmonics.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jul 18, 2009,
Uh no it is a pinch harmonic. Pick or artificial harmonics are what most people think are pinch harmonics, but the motion that the TS is doing is pretty much the same idea as a normal pinch harmonic but the pinch is done between either the middle touching the string at the octave and ring finger plucking the string or done the same way with the first and middle fingers.
To get the harmonic to ring out, you have to make a pinching sort of motion.
The man for this is Tommy Emmanual, look up his version of Somewhere over the rainbow and he does it in the intro.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by worldwidechance
well what ever it is it sounds the same as a pinch harmonic and its easier

Hm, maybe I'll have to try this then.
My gear:
Squier Stratocaster with Killswitch
Peavey Vypyr 15 Amplifier
1995 Yamaha PSR-420 Keyboard
Digitech Whammy Pedal
VOX V847a Wah Pedal.
Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal
wait. so where do you place your ring finger? in the same spot your thumb would hit the string if you were doing the pinch harmonic where you pick following with your thumb?
Even after playin for 2 years I still don't quite understand those pinch harmonics