As you might have guessed from the topic line, at some point in the future, I am expecting to get a new instrument.

Here's my current guitar:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512496

My expected budget is gonna be around $500 - $700 by the time I'm buying, but I'm willing to go out to $750 if it's a good guitar. My playing style is mostly metal, but I do some blues, classic rock, and some classical guitar work. I've managed to find two instruments that look good to me.

The first is a used Ibanez Xiphos with some minor cosmetic problems (which I don't mind, especially 'cause it knocks the price down almost $150. This one is a 7-string, which interests me greatly. Here's a link:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=512557X

The second is a small company my brother told me about called Godin. I had never heard of them before, but the guitar I found there looked very good - it was good looking, it had stock EMGs, and it was a 24 fret. That sounded to me like everything I wanted from the instrument. Here's the link:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=620137

My question is now which one looks like a better buy? Also, if you have some recommendations based on my price range and style that are better, please go ahead. I would prefer if recommendations are kept to a minimum, though. I think that I'd really prefer on of these two guitars over another.

Thanks for the help.
What kinds of music do you play, and do you have any preference's to materials (such as body wood, neck wood, etc...)
ibanez is neckthru, which makes high frets easier to access and more sustain
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by Ghold125
What kinds of music do you play, and do you have any preference's to materials (such as body wood, neck wood, etc...)

I mentioned my musical genres in my request. For the sake of expediency, I play a lot of metal, but I play some blues and even classical music. Thus I think I would need something that sounds good distorted and clean.

Quote by azn_guitarist25
what amp do you play?

I currently have a Line 6 spider III. I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting through it. I'm going for a new instrument largely because the Ibanez I have is great for rhythm work, but it sounds pretty thin on high notes and the frets are standard, so it's more difficult to achieve accuracy at faster tempos towards the top of the neck.

On the subject of Godin, has anyone else ever played one? I'd never even heard of them until last night.
ah okay well i would tell you to avoid the emg active pickups then and look at the washburn x50 baby_joel recommended.
I'd go for the godin. Every godin I have ever played felt amazing. I like the feel of most ibanez I've tried as well, but I always thought that the stock pickups were extremely lacking.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by azn+guitarist25
ah okay well i would tell you to avoid the emg active pickups then and look at the washburn x50 baby_joel recommended.

Is there any reason not to have active pickups with a digital amp? I've read that they don't achieve their fullest potential, but I've never heard that I would be doing myself a disfavor getting one with active pickups, especially considering that I intend to have a tube amp by mid/late-2010.
Yeah the X-50 pro is great for all styles considering it has great pickups and a coil-tap. Get that, the Xiphos is not that good for blues, and the Godin isn't near as versatile as the X-50.
Quote by Geldin
Is there any reason not to have active pickups with a digital amp? I've read that they don't achieve their fullest potential, but I've never heard that I would be doing myself a disfavor getting one with active pickups, especially considering that I intend to have a tube amp by mid/late-2010.

well it's just not going to sound as good as passive pickups will. that and everyone tends to say that active pickups are more of a one trick pony (good trick though) and the active emg's in them aren't the best for clean sounds.
EMG's, despite what most people think, are quite capable of doing good cleans and blues tones.
However, in my experience, you can only achieve those tones with high end valve amps. When played through digital/SS amps, it will get muddy, distorted, and just not sound good.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
That Washburn is looking pretty good right now. I will admit, I don't like the Xiphos as much, especially considering that I'm pretty inexperienced with 7-strings, so I might get confused with the extra string.

How good are the Washburn's stock pickups? Being that I might have money left over, I might upgrade the pickups on it if I don't like the stocks. Would you guys recommend it?
Those pickups are pretty dang good. They're actually a brand pickup (Seymour Duncans) and are usually considered to be one of the most versatile pickup combos in Seymour Duncans line.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
yeah the SD Custom Custom/'59 is what i have installed in my Eclipse and they are indeed extremely versatile. and they sound great as well which i guess is a good thing.
Wow. Normally, stock pickups suck.
That's it. I'm getting a job. I'm gonna get that Washburn.
X-50pro
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?