hey boys I think I've asked this before but that was a couple years ago at least. I've got a hellraiser and I don't like the active pickups in it. I want to switch them to passive. Anyone know of any guides on how to do this and also, how hard is it to do? should I get a shop to do it? finally, what if I just want to switch one and leave the other one in? can a guitar have one passive, one active pickup?
alright you'll need to change pots, input jack, and ground the guitar by soldering a wire from the back of your volume pot to the tremolo claw.

it's nothing too hard and shouldn't take more then an hour at max if you work slowly

and yes you can have both but in short it's simply a head**** and you should either choose to go all active or all passive

but i reckon you'd be better off with a new amp
Actives and passives take differently rated pots. You can mix them if you have separate controls. Either way, there's a bit or work re-wiring and putting in new pots so if you are not confident to follow the advice in the numerous threads on the subject, get a tech to do it.

Edited to say it does seem a bit weird to downgrade a guitar to make it sound better through poor amps. Spend the money on better amp first.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jul 18, 2009,
well I've had this amp for a while and it's given me a good sound after I play around with the settings a bit. The sound I get from my telecaster on it for blues and clean playing is great but I don't like the cleans from the hellraiser and the distortions don't sound quite as crisp as I'd like. I like the sound of the Dimarzio Tonezones and Evos which is why I want to change pickups rather than the amp.
Quote by Necronomicon
well I've had this amp for a while and it's given me a good sound after I play around with the settings a bit. The sound I get from my telecaster on it for blues and clean playing is great but I don't like the cleans from the hellraiser and the distortions don't sound quite as crisp as I'd like. I like the sound of the Dimarzio Tonezones and Evos which is why I want to change pickups rather than the amp.

I have the Tonezone and Evo in my Charvel.. Great combination. Great pickups.
Quote by Lurcher
Actives and passives take differently rated pots. You can mix them if you have separate controls.
Actives work just fine with high resistance pots. You can mix, even if you have a single volume control. Usually the active will dominate when both are selected at the same time, but other than that, you won't have any serious problems. Also, the tone control for a passive won't have that much effect on the passive since the cap value will be a bit small, but unless you are highly dependent on your tone cut, you probably won't find this to be a problem at all.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
you dont like emg's cuz ur amps in your sig are ****e!
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by Necronomicon

play your schecter hellraiser fr through an high gain tube amp and then you'll hear why we are telling you to change amps.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Could it be the RP50?
Very possible...

I think I lost the RP-50 lol I used to use that before I had an amp with reverb/delay/etc. on it.
looking at gettin a new guitar, probs an esp ex 401 but i dunno whetehr to get that with active emg 81/60, or just get a 260 model with EMG-HZ H-4. advice?
cheers
Quote by MasonTate
looking at gettin a new guitar, probs an esp ex 401 but i dunno whetehr to get that with active emg 81/60, or just get a 260 model with EMG-HZ H-4. advice?
cheers

create your own thread. also list in that thread what music you play, what amp you currently have and what your current gear is.