Well, I'm a lefty guitarist and have been playing for about 5 years ish and I think i'm pretty good, play in bands and I've got quite a rounded technique, especially my chord work and also just general noodling.

One thing that bugs me is that, being a lefty, there is a small choice of guitars out there, admittedly there are some, but the range just doesn't compare to the options righty's have. See where I'm going with this? Basically my aim over these long summer holidays of mine is to learn and get good at playing right handed.

My dad and brother play right handed so I have both an acoustic and electric guitar to practice on and also I already know all the notes and scales, chords etc from playing lefty so I don't need to learn that either. I've been playing a little today and I haven't found it all that bad, its just familiarising myself with fretting and alternate picking etc.

So what do you guys think? Am I insane? Or is it a good idea? Any input will be greatly appreciated and taken on board, unless it is doucheish.

Cheers!
It's a lot of work just to get a better instrument. I'm left handed myself and I think there are enough options for left handed players to cover most needs. Most guitar companies will create a left handed version of a model on request - admittedly at a higher price though. Plus left handed players look cooler onstage mirroring the right handed players!

...oh, and it goes against everything in your sig'.
Quote by whitemanwalking
It's a lot of work just to get a better instrument. I'm left handed myself and I think there are enough options for left handed players to cover most needs. Most guitar companies will create a left handed version of a model on request - admittedly at a higher price though. Plus left handed players look cooler onstage mirroring the right handed players!

...oh, and it goes against everything in your sig'.

very good point, i'm just thinking though, it would be very very useful and I've heard of many leftys that got told to learn right handed and then after getting over the hurdle found it better because their better hand is doing the fretting. Plus i could go into a shop and play any guitar!
I got told that too - about learning right handed - but with that theory I thought 'why don't all right handed players play left handed?'. I can see the advantages but with the amount of hours and effort you're going to be putting in you could earn enough money to buy your dream guitar :P

So what is it you want? you want to be able to buy new guitars more easily?
I've already tried hendrixing it with my dad's yamaha pacifica, its not too easy to play upside down and i kept changing the pickup switch and volume and tone knobs.

Whitemanwalking i see what you mean, but that time spent working could be time spent playing guitar... but yeah very valid point.

I guess that is one of my aims, to be able to choose from a greater range of guitars, but also to benefit from being able to just go to one of my friend's houses who has guitars and have a go on theirs, also I guess its testing myself, seeing if I can, if you understand?
As cool as it would be to be able to play pretty much any guitar in a store, my suggestion is to keep it lefty. I have a theory that left handed players can play and sing better than most right handed players... call me crazy. My brother is a very good player (lefty) and he started singing along while playing and it just came naturally for him. Jimi Hendrix is another obvious example. Kurt Cobain - simple playing but it was generally off beat from the singing. Paul McCartney. Aside from my crack pot theories there are alot of options for left handed players; Warmoth will build a guitar to your specifications. And I used to have a magazine that had an ad for a left handed guitar shop where left handed guitars cost %15 less than right handed ones. Wish I could find that.
hey, dehydrated, that sounds like a cool theory to me, incidentally I started singing lessons two weeks ago, although i'm not very good yet, yeah if you research it then there are a few lefty guitar shops which seem really good, however shops rarely have more than 2 lefties in stock so actually trying these guitars out is difficult. I think I'm probably going to keep focused on my leftyness, however keep noodling right handed, i think i do some things better right handed than my students do in their proper hand!
you gotta be kiding.. re-learn guit? *sighs*
You can still do like hendrix, take a righty and flip it?
:\
or by a left handed guitar, even if the choice is small there is good guits out there man!

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Well it clearly can't hurt to learn how to play righty too. If anything it will tighten up your lefty playing even more (and your tapping will be insane!)
Quote by t3l3caster
I've already tried hendrixing it with my dad's yamaha pacifica, its not too easy to play upside down and i kept changing the pickup switch and volume and tone knobs.

Whitemanwalking i see what you mean, but that time spent working could be time spent playing guitar... but yeah very valid point.

I guess that is one of my aims, to be able to choose from a greater range of guitars, but also to benefit from being able to just go to one of my friend's houses who has guitars and have a go on theirs, also I guess its testing myself, seeing if I can, if you understand?

Yeah totallly, I can understand that. I'm not saying you shouldn't try it by any means. Just giving a point of argument. Let me know how it works out!
Quote by t3l3caster

Did you switch the nut around and restring for a lefty? Hendrix didn't play onstage with a guitar upside down. Yes, the guitar was upside down, but he changed the nut so the strings were right.

However, he could play it upside down since there is an interview somewhere on youtube where he was asked to play a riff he did as a right hand and he flipped his guitar and played it perfectly.

Now, to the topic at hand:

I don't think relearning the guitar is worth it, that's my opinion though. There are plenty of companies that help left hand players, they also will make you left hand guitars at a higher price (Fender for example) or you can go Warmoth. For me though, if you're a left handed player, I think pulling the good ol' Hendrix looks sweet. It looks akward for me to see left hand players play a left hand guitar because I'm so used to watching Hendrix videos lol.

very good point, i'm just thinking though, it would be very very useful and I've heard of many leftys that got told to learn right handed and then after getting over the hurdle found it better because their better hand is doing the fretting. Plus i could go into a shop and play any guitar!

Very common misconception. Playing with their stronger hand doesn't make them any better. On the contrary, from what I've heard from my friends who are lefties that play righty, it took them much more work learning right handed (They tried both ways at first) compared to left handed because they had to get their picking to be in sync with their other hand. They also claimed it to feel somewhat unnatural for the first month or so of learning. They did overcome the obstacle, so you can too.

If you want the challenge, go for it.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Very common misconception. Playing with their stronger hand doesn't make them any better. On the contrary, from what I've heard from my friends who are lefties that play righty, it took them much more work learning right handed (They tried both ways at first) compared to left handed because they had to get their picking to be in sync with their other hand. They also claimed it to feel somewhat unnatural for the first month or so of learning. They did overcome the obstacle, so you can too.

I think it feels unnatural the first month no matter which hand you use. IMO, the picking hand is more important then the fretting hand. I'm a lefty who plays righty. I imagine it's more difficult for me to control the pick then a natural righty. I can't peal carrots with my right hand, why should I be able to strum easily? OP, if you want to learn righty then go for it! It would be cool to play either way and it can't hurt anything to try.
Fallsdownstairs, I didn't switch the nut, however I did reverse the strings, so in effect I was basically hendrixing it. I'm gonna keep trying, see how it goes and all i think, I don't think it will mess me up, I'm still gonna keep up with being left handed

Blockfour, I practiced loads yesterday and I think I've almost got my alternate picking down!
Quote by t3l3caster
Fallsdownstairs, I didn't switch the nut, however I did reverse the strings, so in effect I was basically hendrixing it. I'm gonna keep trying, see how it goes and all i think, I don't think it will mess me up, I'm still gonna keep up with being left handed

Blockfour, I practiced loads yesterday and I think I've almost got my alternate picking down!

It's not the same thing. The nut is cut for the string sizes, if you place a .50 string in a slot for a .10, it won't fit in which it won't be playable.

You have to flip the nut.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
It's not the same thing. The nut is cut for the string sizes, if you place a .50 string in a slot for a .10, it won't fit in which it won't be playable.

You have to flip the nut.

Well I kind of filed the nut away with a knife, so the string wouldn't flip out , it worked and I actually gigged with it
come on, if you need a quality instrument and cant find a lefty one, there's always Warmoth and USCG