Page 1 of 3
So Pit, I'll be turning 17 in a few months, and i'll be getting a car. Nothings special, but I'm going to give it constant TLC. Maybe if I'm up to it I'll do a paintjob or such.

But what I'm really worried about (besides how loud I can pump out Heavy Metal out of the car while slowly driving past loads of Chavs) Is how I can cheaply get a nice amount of power out of a small engine (1.0 - 1.6 V3, V4 I'm assuming)
I can go buy a small supercharger, but it is only my first car and I'm not going to be racing or anything (..well.. we'll see ) but i would like some nice 'vah vah voom' out of my auto, as I have recently fallen in love with the classic Camaro SS.

Are any of you PitMonkeys also GreaseMonkeys? Any tips would be cool.

KirkEdit: For All those of you thinking that I'm heavily modifying a ****ty car to make it a hairdryer with wheels, no, I'm getting a small car, and all I want is tips similar to music_mike and HeavyMetalHokie. Kudos to you guys for giving me some good advice Things like replacing intakes, getting rid of weight, and cleaning or replacing pipes and inlets.

PS: I dont actually own a Camaro SS

Yet

Ok guys thanks for input, I've made up my mind on what I'll do.
Have you guys had any experience modding cars? Share stories and brag about who has teh most br00talz block.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Last edited by KirkMetallica at Jul 18, 2009,
Well what kind of car is it going to be? If you go out and buy an Accent or something then it really isn't worth putting a bunch of engine mods into it. just keep it clean and in as good of shape as possible.
::type i'm here to stir the $h!t

DON'T DO A THING TO IT!!!

Your insurance will skyrocket and you won't be able to claim on anything when you crash, because you will crash, it's only natural, everyone ends up backing into something or not going steady enough when they're inexperienced.
There's no such thing as a V3...

The number is the amount of cylinders in the engine, and the letter before is the configuration.

There's "V", where the cylinders are set on two seperate planes, and Inline, or straight, where they're simply in a line. Engines pretty much always, at least in cars, have an even number of cylinders. You're probably going to get either a V6, I6, or I4.

Putting in a supercharger is going to be a sh*tload of work, even if you're completely up to it. A paintjob is going to be a pain to prepare and execute, especially if you've never done one before. If I were you I wouldn't attempt anything serious, because (no offense) you don't really sound like a car mechanic.

Ideas: exhaust and intake upgrades, maybe an ECU chip?
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
Last edited by Davus at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by Davus
What the fuck is a V3?

I've not had much sleep recently
Bertolt Bretcht

If its got a turbocharger, I'd recommend getting it chipped, theres lots of websites on the internet which tell you how much extra you'll get from the engine. I'm pretty sure it works for superchargers, too. I know it works on engines without a turbo, but you won't get as much out of it.

We chipped my dads car, and got it from 160bhp to 240bhp, so you can get some pretty good improvements. Think it cost about £600.

Hope this helps somewhat.

EDIT: And even if you don't chip your first car, its still a good thing to remember.
Gear:
ESP LTD EX-351 in gunmetal blue.
Valencia acoustic.
this is the way the world ends
not with a bang, but with a whimper
Last edited by Morphina. at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by SG_dave
DON'T DO A THING TO IT!!!

Your insurance will skyrocket and you won't be able to claim on anything when you crash, because you will crash, it's only natural, everyone ends up backing into something or not going steady enough when they're inexperienced.

if you get the insurance on the car BEFORE you add any mods then your insurance company will never know. hence the not paying any more.

as for the crash comment....yeah just don't crash

good luck
Quote by codynw42
if you get the insurance on the car BEFORE you add any mods then your insurance company will never know. hence the not paying any more.

as for the crash comment....yeah just don't crash

good luck

but when it comes to a damage total the garage has to send off a detailed spec of the car to make sure everything is accounted for, if it doesn't match what the insurance company have that insurance is void.

and not crashing is easier said than done, i've seen a friend flip his small car when he was forced to swerve as he pulled out at a junction.
Quote by SG_dave
well i'm led to believe that the V stands for Volts... so he's saying his car will have a 3 Volt car battery. if i'm right, i'm not really a vehicle person.

wat.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

DO NOT add a supercharger. its takes a lot of work and I dont thing you have the expertise to handle such a huge task. A few ways to squeeze some extra HP out of a motor is to :

buy a good cool air intake, this will provide the engine with cooler air which burns more efficently and you get more HP

get high end spark plugs/wires/ fuel injectors. All of these can add more power to an engine.

try to reduce weight in the car if possible. this wont add power but it will make the most of your existing power

i do a lot of car work for a hobby so if you have any detailed questions just send me a PM and ill see what we can do
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Get a car with a proper engine, not a glorified motorcycle engine. I wouldn't bother trying to modify a car with anything less than a forced induction 2.2.
Quote by SG_dave
i dunno... as i said i don't really pay attention to the inner workings of a car. And it seems plausible that the V stands for volts, battery wise.

It's to do with the amount/alignment of the cylinders in the engine so you know.

Quote by Not a Les Paul
Get a car with a proper engine, not a glorified motorcycle engine. I wouldn't bother trying to modify a car with anything less than a forced induction 2.2.

Sort of agree. Some kid near me modded a 1.0 3-pot in a Corsa. Doubled the horsepower to NINETY. Which to me was pointless; should've just bought something more powerful from the off.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Last edited by Jaymz_515 at Jul 18, 2009,
Oh, and a good idea is to be picky about choosing your car. Less/ easier work to upgrade it to what you want.
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
Quote by SG_dave
but when it comes to a damage total the garage has to send off a detailed spec of the car to make sure everything is accounted for, if it doesn't match what the insurance company have that insurance is void.

and not crashing is easier said than done, i've seen a friend flip his small car when he was forced to swerve as he pulled out at a junction.

true that..
my friend just died a month ago in a car crash.. stupid teenage guys

just dont get in a crash lol its bad for you AND your wallet
Last edited by codynw42 at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by codynw42
true that..
my friend just died a month ago in a car crash.. stupid teenage guys

just dont get in a crash lol its bad for you AND your wallet

Yeah, I aint gonna open it up on the sountry roads around my home.. they're treacherous. Only on roads with little traffic and straight flat surfaces
Bertolt Bretcht

For a cheap car you're not going to find anything that is stock super/turbocharged. Anytime you're going to turbo something for relatively cheap you want to start with a stock turbo car. Those run anywhere from $6000 and up for a decent one. When you get into bolting on turbos and such you get into having to modify the internals of the engine to be able to handle that and still run on a daily basis. You have to replace pistons and rings, connecting rods, normally the crank, and the cams. This is just for the purpose of changing the compression ratio to be suited for a turbo. Thats not for parts capable of handling more power. That task is gonna cost you more then you wanna spend. Believe me.

Just get something decent and drive the sh*t out of it. Save building a performance car for after you've been driving for a while.
Quote by music_mike
For a cheap car you're not going to find anything that is stock super/turbocharged. Anytime you're going to turbo something for relatively cheap you want to start with a stock turbo car. Those run anywhere from $6000 and up for a decent one. When you get into bolting on turbos and such you get into having to modify the internals of the engine to be able to handle that and still run on a daily basis. You have to replace pistons and rings, connecting rods, normally the crank, and the cams. This is just for the purpose of changing the compression ratio to be suited for a turbo. Thats not for parts capable of handling more power. That task is gonna cost you more then you wanna spend. Believe me.

Just get something decent and drive the sh*t out of it. Save building a performance car for after you've been driving for a while.

Lol, yeah, I'm probably just gonna get id of all unnessary weight maybe a new intake, and get the engine cleaner than my room. That'll be a fun Christmas
Bertolt Bretcht

do NOT turbo or supercharger your car. as a young driver you need to mod it by doing things such as buying a new camshaft, adding headers, a new exhaust system, adjusting timing valves, etc.

by the way, V'3s do not exist, and 4 cylinder engines are almost universally inline engines.

any mods you add depend on the car. If you somehow manage to grab an older lancer or a subaru then modding would be great, but if you've got a corsa or a civic there is really no point in modding it because without a supercharger on these kind of cars you will not notice a difference in performance. keep your car exactly the way it comes unless you've got a car INTENDED to perform. depending on your budget have a look at the Audi A3. It's engine is 2.0 liters, so you can own it in the UK, but its turbo'd and develops 200 horsepower and has awd.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 18, 2009,
Yeah, I mean really the only "cheap mods" you can do to get "more" power is to control the air flow in and out of the motor with a new intake and new exhaust and adding more fuel into the engine with either new or cleaned injectors and fuel pump.

The best thing I can advise on your new car is to make sure the seals are all good on the motor and that its not leaking any fluids. Make sure there are no unnatural noises in the engine. Make sure it shifts smoothly and idles good. Take care of it, change the fluids regularly, and have fun with it man.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
do NOT turbo or supercharger your car. as a young driver you need to mod it by doing things such as buying a new camshaft, adding headers, a new exhaust system, adjusting timing valves, etc.

Uh, I'd buy a turbo if I were you. More horsepower than all of the other things combined.

Change things like the intake manifolds, headers, exhaust, ECU if you can, port and polish the head, balance and polish the crank, increase the bore and increase the stroke.

Get new sway bars and struts if you want a better suspension, or some coilovers.

Edit: V4's don't exist, it's just a 4 cylinder.
Quote by SG_dave
i dunno... as i said i don't really pay attention to the inner workings of a car. And it seems plausible that the V stands for volts, battery wise.

no V stands for the shape of the cylinder allignment. a V6 has 2 banks of 3 cylinders and looks like a V shape when viewed from the front. a V3 is impossible because the banks can not be made equal. the fact that TS said V3 tells me he should not be making any modifications to his engine at all.
Quote by Grindar
Uh, I'd buy a turbo if I were you. More horsepower than all of the other things combined.

Change things like the intake manifolds, headers, exhaust, ECU if you can, port and polish the head, balance and polish the crank, increase the bore and increase the stroke.

Get new sway bars and struts if you want a better suspension, or some coilovers.

Edit: V4's don't exist, it's just a 4 cylinder.

first off, no: a good engine tuning by someone who knows what they are doing can make more power than a turbo charger and the vehicle will not suffer from Turbo lag. want proof? look at the Porsche 911 GT3. porsche had to twin turbo the 911 in order to make more horsepower than the GT3, and the GT3 is naturally aspirated. secondly adding a turbo to a first car that will most likely be FWD and driven by a 17 year old is the most stupid thing you could ever do.

by the way, V4 engines do exist, they're just not used very often. they are most often found in motorcycles these days, but Lancia used to use V4's and ford still builds them for a few other companies in europe. in Cars the configuration is almost universally an inline (straight, flat, whatever you'd like to call it) 4 cylinder. but any engine with an even number of cylinders can be made into a V formation. 3 cylinders as used by Hyundai cannot, 5 cylinders as used by Volvo cannot, etc.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
no V stands for the shape of the cylinder allignment. a V6 has 2 banks of 3 cylinders and looks like a V shape when viewed from the front. a V3 is impossible because the banks can not be made equal. the fact that TS said V3 tells me he should not be making any modifications to his engine at all.

I agree completely.

TS, read up on car things. You have NO idea what you're talking about. Most Camaro's probably have 350's, and those are V8's.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
first off, no: a good engine tuning by someone who knows what they are doing can make more power than a turbo charger and the vehicle will not suffer from Turbo lag. want proof? look at the Porsche 911 GT3. porsche had to twin turbo the 911 in order to make more horsepower than the GT3, and the GT3 is naturally aspirated. secondly adding a turbo to a first car that will most likely be FWD and driven by a 17 year old is the most stupid thing you could ever do.

It honestly really depends on the car. You're right, some cars will get better gains with an engine tune vs a turbo, but others won't. My BMW went from 375 to ~520 from every engine mod possible for it. I sold that car, got another a few years later, put on a TT and a new exhaust, and it jumped up from 375-556. With all the rest of the engine mods done now, I'm at 714.

He said Camaro, rear wheel drive.

Also, turbo lag? I don't think that this kid's going to be drag racing, or into hardcore auto x. If he was worried about turbo lag, why wouldn't he just get a supercharger?

Whatever, I really don't want to argue with you right now.
Last edited by Grindar at Jul 18, 2009,
Pfft have fun voiding your insurance if you don't tell them or paying the extra on top of what will be a huge amount anyway if you do tell them.

As most people said, modding isn't worth it unless you have atleast a 2.0, which will cost you about 5k to insure, well I say that, you won't get insured on it at 17 on a provisional.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Pfft have fun voiding your insurance if you don't tell them or paying the extra on top of what will be a huge amount anyway if you do tell them.

As most people said, modding isn't worth it unless you have atleast a 2.0, which will cost you about 5k to insure, well I say that, you won't get insured on it at 17 on a provisional.

isn't the limit in the uk a 2.0? he'd get insured, but he'd be paying out the ass for a 2.0

also, +1, i totally forgot to mention it but you covered it. if the insurance company finds out you have modified your engine, but have not informed them they will cancel your coverage. and they WILL find out, since any time you go in for an oil change from a big auto chain they keep records, and if you have a whole bunch of modifications such as turbos that do not come stock on the car, in my country/province they do inform the insurance agencies, and i'm sure since UK has even stricter insurance policies they will almost certainly be informed.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
isn't the limit in the uk a 2.0? he'd get insured, but he'd be paying out the ass for a 2.0

also, +1, i totally forgot to mention it but you covered it. if the insurance company finds out you have modified your engine, but have not informed them they will cancel your coverage. and they WILL find out, since any time you go in for an oil change from a big auto chain they keep records, and if you have a whole bunch of modifications such as turbos that do not come stock on the car, in my country/province they do inform the insurance agencies, and i'm sure since UK has even stricter insurance policies they will almost certainly be informed.

At 17 on a provisional it's VERY unlikey any insurance company will touch him. I've been driving a year with no accidents and only about 15 companies are willing to insure me on a 1.2 on my own, and that's for 3-3.5 grand. I tried to get a 2.0TDI golf and it was 5k, a Gold GTI (same 2 litre Turbo as the A3) was quoted at 11k.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Threadstarter considering you hate airheaded posers you're doing a pretty good job of imitating one.

Firstly, have you any idea how much insurance will cost you on a modified car? I'm guessing about £5000. It was £1500 for my 1998 1.25l 16v Ford Fiesta, and that's dirt cheap for a lad. Tbh I don't think you'd actually get insured.

Secondly, you're so worried about driving past chavs. If you get these mods you'll be a chav so you should fit right in.

Thirdly, don't even consider not telling your insurance company about the mods. If you crash and it's your fault (which statistically isn't very UNlikely) then you're not just paying for your car. You pay for the person you drove into.

So if you crashed into a £150,000 Ferrari F430, and you hadn't disclosed your mods to the insurance company, they would void your insurance. Then you'd just have to take care of the £150,000 bill all by yourself.
Quote by jambi_mantra
At 17 on a provisional it's VERY unlikey any insurance company will touch him. I've been driving a year with no accidents and only about 15 companies are willing to insure me on a 1.2 on my own, and that's for 3-3.5 grand. I tried to get a 2.0TDI golf and it was 5k, a Gold GTI (same 2 litre Turbo as the A3) was quoted at 11k.

holy **** man. I'm insured as an occasional driver on a 1970 mustang mach 1 for only $9,200. I was looking at an Audi a3 S line with the 3.2 V6 as a car that would be listed under only my name, and it would only be $4500, and i'm 18. hearing this makes me very glad im a driver in Canada.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
holy **** man. I'm insured as an occasional driver on a 1970 mustang mach 1 for only $9,200. I was looking at an Audi a3 S line with the 3.2 V6 as a car that would be listed under only my name, and it would only be $4500, and i'm 18. hearing this makes me very glad im a driver in Canada.

Aye, all of them are used, for the Corsa is from 02, the Golfs were from 05. Insurance here is ridiculous, but then so is tax, servicing, petrol, driving lessons, driving tests and everything else you could associate with driving. Cost me £450 the other day for it's routine service and MOT.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

That makes me glad that I live in the US cause when I was 18, I got quoted for insurance on my brothers 550hp 1998 Mustang Cobra Convertible for a little over $5000. And that was full coverage.
This thread is so stupid.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Threadstarter considering you hate airheaded posers you're doing a pretty good job of imitating one.

Firstly, have you any idea how much insurance will cost you on a modified car? I'm guessing about £5000. It was £1500 for my 1998 1.25l 16v Ford Fiesta, and that's dirt cheap for a lad. Tbh I don't think you'd actually get insured.

Secondly, you're so worried about driving past chavs. If you get these mods you'll be a chav so you should fit right in.

Thirdly, don't even consider not telling your insurance company about the mods. If you crash and it's your fault (which statistically isn't very UNlikely) then you're not just paying for your car. You pay for the person you drove into.

So if you crashed into a £150,000 Ferrari F430, and you hadn't disclosed your mods to the insurance company, they would void your insurance. Then you'd just have to take care of the £150,000 bill all by yourself.

Firstly, I take offense to that!
Secondly, I'm not doing heavy modifications, the whole gist of the thread is for me to get tips on how to get the most out of a stock engine, and what small things like intakes and manifolds to buy etc.

And thirdly,
Who the **** drives a Ferrari F430?
Bertolt Bretcht

Do you even have a car yet?

There are 2 F430's in my town just thought I'd let you know. They do sell them believe it or not.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Do you even have a car yet?

There are 2 F430's in my town just thought I'd let you know. They do sell them believe it or not.

Most exotic car where I live is a freakin Nissan Navara
Bertolt Bretcht

TS has no idea.

My advice, stay in school and stick to public transport.
Quote by KirkMetallica

Most exotic car where I live is a freakin Nissan Navara

Have you done an insurance quote? If not go on confused.com and do one now. Just pick a car you might like, fill it in with no modifications and tell us how much it is.
And be realistic, you're a 17 year old bloke, you're looking at 1.4 max.

We have loads of nice cars round here coz it's a rich area, 430's and other Ferarri's, there'd a F40 a few miles away I see a lot, lots of 355's, Gallardo's, there's an Aston dealership down the road so loads of them about, a guy picked his kid up in a McClaren F1, I kid you not.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Page 1 of 3