Page 1 of 2
hey Ug
me and my friend wanna start a band together, but theres a problem cos were both lead guitarists, and there are so few bands (at least that i know) that they r co lead guitarists, so if anyone could tell me how to make that work that would be great
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
well, it'd be good to have some kind of rhythym, get a bassist to? Or swap songs between lead and rhythym between the 2. I dunno bout Co-songs though.
there's a reason there's few bands with 2 leads, and that's because it's really hard to fit in enough work for 2 leads. Best way to make it work is to swap around on lead and rythm for what you play.
I always see it as if it works for The Eagles it can work for anyone. But if it's a case of having 2 leads OR a lead and a rhythm then go for lead and rhythm. Who's to say you can't both switch between rhythm and lead in different songs, though?
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Duelling leads, harmonized leads, sometimes one of you or both might need to suck it up and play rhythm. Make rhythm more interesting by using counterpoint or harmony or both with it as well.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
do what i did, split with the drummer and start your own band
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
thats wat weve been doing so far, but neither of us really like rhythm playing, i only like it if its like rythm in children of bodom, which is some kick ass rhythm

so wat u guys are sayin is that we should alternate between lead and rhythm for different songs? or try to write kickass rhythm
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Yeah.
Although, writing kickass rhythm should be obvious, why would you choose to write lame rhythm?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
i play mostly rhythm anyway cuz my soloing skills are lacking, so i just spice up my rhythm parts. no really chordy stuff, lots of arpeggio and scale pieces, alternate picking, stuff like that
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
ok thanks guys
i think ill just stick to writing really good rhythm and harmonizing the leads
and sometimes wen i dont harmonize the leads well switch between rhythm and leads

and cheez, could u give some advice on how to write rhythm using scales and arpeggios instead of just chords?
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
hey Ug
me and my friend wanna start a band together, but theres a problem cos were both lead guitarists, and there are so few bands (at least that i know) that they r co lead guitarists, so if anyone could tell me how to make that work that would be great

wow dude it sounds like you have no idea what a band is. before starting a band you shouldn't have a problem about your roles.
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
wow dude it sounds like you have no idea what a band is. before starting a band you shouldn't have a problem about your roles.

+1 If you're both up your own arses trying to play "teh epicz shredz" in a band situation you better think again before making a band. Rhythm is more important than lead, and is 90% of the songs we listen to.
Quote by hopespaul

+1 If you're both up your own arses trying to play "teh epicz shredz" in a band situation you better think again before making a band. Rhythm is more important than lead, and is 90% of the songs we listen to.

EDIT: And you're probably not great anyways, if you call yourselves both lead guitarists, you don't know rhythm, and how to create good riffs, then personally I wouldn't call you a guitarist at all.
Sure a song can have a great solo but if it has a **** riff then it's a **** song.
Just alternate it and on the solo's harmonize with eachother and such. Hell harmonize on the riff's aswell just don't have always the lead guitars shredding.
You could both play different solos or just play harmonies. Or one of you play rhythm and the other plays lead but switch in different sections. I'm sure that would be cool on stage.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Well what my band does, is we have a bass player, drummer, and singer. Then, me and my friend each play solos to our strengths, and we have one guy who is a keyboard player, but in songs with no keyboard, he plays rhythm guitar. It works perfectly, and everyone is happy.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Thin Lizzy. Whitesnake.

There's no stopping one of you playing lead in one song, and the other one plays rhythm, and then swap about in another song. It's really not that hard, and you won't need another random pointless guitarist in there playing rhythm. Both of you will have a different sound and all that, and you'll each sound better on different songs and all that if ya get me.

Most of guitarring is basically rhythm anyways, and there's only a small bit of soloing, so you're gonna have to play rhythm whether you like it or not.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I play lead rhythm and lead backround vocals in my band.

Worrying about who is the lead is really just going to hamper a band. Everyone should contribute and service the song not their egos.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
Look to four bands: Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Machine Head, Judas Priest.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Lil Macker
Whitesnake.
Seriously, every single person on U-G needs to check out their live DVD, Whitesnake: Live: In The Still Of The Night. It's an absolute masterclass on harmonising. Not just the two guitarists (Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach, both flawless lead guitarists in their own right spanning many genres and styles of playing), but also the bass, keyboards, drums and even the odd improvised vocals here and there too - it's six guys who are technically flawless working perfectly in sync and every single person should watch it. Even if you don't like Whitesnake's music, it is just such a great example of how a band should work together. None of that bull**** 'the lead singer's the only star', 'this guitarist is great and nobody gives a **** about the other one', no 'who cares about bass?' parts.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I think playing rhythm would be fun. Less spotlight on me, but I can make it fun.

During those chugging low powerchord breakdowns, I could really rock out and have fun. You know? (Referring to Milligram Smile by From Autumn to Ashes, which actually is the perfect song for this predicament)

Assuming you're in your teens, around now (unless your a prodigy) most people have some trouble really rocking out and playing some solos or lead lines at the same time.

I always think about gigging when I think about playing songs... so that's where I'm coming from with that.
Quote by soloXshredder
thats wat weve been doing so far, but neither of us really like rhythm playing, i only like it if its like rythm in children of bodom, which is some kick ass rhythm

so wat u guys are sayin is that we should alternate between lead and rhythm for different songs? or try to write kickass rhythm

Write kick ass rhythym
Look at Racer X, two shred monsters who know when to lay off the leads and when to play the rhythm.

Look at Cacophony, another two shred monsters, lots of harmonizing and shred but they know when to play rhythm.
See, the human abstract.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
This is why people shouldn't consider themselves "lead" or "rhythm" players. Just be a friggin GUITARIST and do both. You both play rhythm anyways, not like one person solos through the entire song... Just switch it up man.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Keep your ego out of it and be modest, let whoever can do the solo better have it, and maybe if there's an easy lead somewhere in there, let the lesser person do it. Unless one of you is singing, you're both just guitarists and should think about how the song will sound when you play it in front of people; obviously you don't want to sound like sh*t on stage just because you wanted to say you had the BR00talZ SHR3DZ solo.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
switch between lead and rhythm, maybe sometimes make the bassist play a rhythm while you guys do harmonies?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I went to a Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake concert back in the 80s. That was epic. Anyways if you do it right it can be amazing.
You could harmonize on leads. I'd suggest switching back and forth though (not necessarily in different songs but change throughout one song), or you could make a rule that whoever writes the lead gets to play the lead... That would lead to some competition and give an extra incentive to write (i.e. If I don't think of a lead the other guy will and I'll get stuck doing rhythm!)
Quote by XianXiuHong
Look at Racer X, two shred monsters who know when to lay off the leads and when to play the rhythm.

Look at Cacophony, another two shred monsters, lots of harmonizing and shred but they know when to play rhythm.

Marty Friedman couldn't play rhythm the "right" way, just ask Dave Mustaine.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Yea 2 leads means you have an excuse to add 2 solos to every song XD, as well as the ability to harmonize.

Suck it up and play the rhythm parts when you need too, its better than finding a third guitarist to play rhythm only.
Quote by bean-o
This is why people shouldn't consider themselves "lead" or "rhythm" players. Just be a friggin GUITARIST and do both. You both play rhythm anyways, not like one person solos through the entire song... Just switch it up man.

Exactly, there's no reason why you have to label yourself. Just play and if it sounds good, great. If one thing sounds better if one person plays it, let him play it. If you write something, play it. If one person writes a better solo for a song, let him play it. It's not about rhythm and lead, it's about being a musician.
And besides, if you focus on one too much you'll suck at the other.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
There's a lot of stuff you can do. You can harmonize your riffs, or do what Cynic does and have two guitars playing 2 diffrent riffs that fit together.
Man, rhythm playing in a song is more important than solos. There are plenty of good songs without solos, but none without good rhythm.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
If you two try tandem solos and stuff like that it will work just fine (just look at Slayer)
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Trivium, Unearth, Maiden harmonizes 3 leads sometimes.
Quote by candysars
The best Pokemon is Metapod. Name him Wiener or P3n1s, and then use harden. LAWLZ everytime.

Schecter C-1 Elite EMG 81/85
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Bottom line - if you can't play rhythm you're not really a guitarist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Page 1 of 2