Page 1 of 2
Lately I've been thinking about getting a guitar with a Floyd Rose. But all the guitars that come with the floyd rose option are over $100 more than the guitar without.

I've been thinking about buying an ESP EC-1000 Deluxe ($880 flamed maple see-thru blue finish without, $1000 with) or a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 ($750 without, $900 with)

I've been playing guitar for a little over a year, and I'm just starting to get into this stuff, and I don't want to waste my money on a guitar with a Floyd, if I'll never use it. I know the floyd is typically for divebombs and "squealies," so they are more fit for a lead guitar.

I would like some opinions, guitarists with floyds and Strat (vintage?) tremolos. And could you answer these questions for me...
How long have you been playing?
How often do you use the floyd/tremolo?
Was the floyd/tremolo worth the extra cash?
Do you like it?

Thanks.
I've been playing for 6 years and have never found the need to wank on a Floyd Rose. But then again, I don't play shred-heavy music. That's the only reason why you should ever get one. If you don't shred much, or frequently play in alternate tunings, I would avoid the Floyd. Avoid the floyd!!!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

It can be a pain. If you change tunings its not recommended. If you don't and are willing to learn to keep it setup and use it tastefully, not for just divebombs then its an amazing tool. The cheaper LFRs can be good or bad depending, I don't know what yours has.
I love mine and abuse it constantly. It also stays in tune forever and never breaks a string.
Last edited by Tempoe at Jul 18, 2009,
To be honest, after playing both, I like them both. A Strat trem feels more right to me, and is easier to set up and all that, but a Floyd Rose won't go out of tune, and has a bigger range. Not to say a vintage trem is bad (after all EVH did use one on VH1), but it won't stay in tune easy.

Anyways, Floyds are good, as long as you know how to set them up with new strings and all that, and if you don't change tunings often. Other than that, I'd say that are worth it.

I'll stick with my vintage though.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
i can't answer all your questions, but when i built my jem, i REALLY REALLY wanted a floyd.

I dunno why
and it rarely is a necessity, but because it's there, i do find myself reaching for it at every longheld note

i could live without it. but it's fun

not quite sure it was worth the extra money though.

EDIT:

and yeah like the others mentioned, if you plan on changing tunings it's just not worth it. Even just drop D i have to use another guitar

on the other hand my jem NEVER goes out of tune. that's always a plus.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Jul 18, 2009,
I ahte mine simply because its the biggest pain in the ass to change tunings. So I would say DONT get one UNLESS you play lead guitar in a metal/shred band and are a good solo-er (ie this isnt your first guitar) or you have a second guitar to cover other tunings for you.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

playing 4 years

love the floyd

i use it always..

if youre into metal it's the requirement 1-B (thou shall have floyd in all guitars and basses =D )

and it's worth it.. if you're feeling cheap.. buy it without the floyd and then go to a guitar tec and he'll do you the upgrade
Opus Pocus =]
i dont wank or dive bomb with my floyds. i just love the action, tuning stability and string life it gives to my guitars
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I've been playing 2 and half years now and have recently been through what your going through.

I did buy a Jackson Kelly with a FR but now I am regretting it a bit. The FR complicate things if you want to keep changing tuning. Your need to put the guitar down for a bit get your alley keys out may take a while to change the tuning. Even for drop D tuning!

This for me is a bit of a downer as I change my tuning fairly regularly. Likely I have another guitar without a FR to do that with (MIJ LP copy).

I love using the FR for divebombs and such but if I had to chose again I would buy without.

Hope this helps. PM if there is anything else you need from me.
Burny LG75-GR
Epi SG Pro 1966 Ltd Ed
PRS Angelus SE Custom

Korg Pandora effect unit (for practising)
Slash CryBaby
Blackstar HT-5
Korg RC2 Looooooper
Quote by josuetijuana
playing 4 years

love the floyd

i use it always..

if youre into metal it's the requirement 1-B (thou shall have floyd in all guitars and basses =D )

and it's worth it.. if you're feeling cheap.. buy it without the floyd and then go to a guitar tec and he'll do you the upgrade

You think that'll end up being cheaper than the extra $150-200?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

im not really a metal guy, so im none to happy with mine

PROS:
-stays in tune for a hella long time
-able to do crazy bends (not a necessity for me)
-strings rarely break (this i like)

CONS:
-friggin impossible to change tunings
-real pain to put on new strings
-i feel like it kills sustain

~b
If you like floyds and have a need for them, and have the extra cash, then go for it. It is a bit harder to restring than a hardtail also. I personally don't like floyds... but buy it based on your wants and needs.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
@ChordMonger...

CONS:

Yeah, I change tunings quite alot myself, so Floyd was a turn off.
Quote by ChordMonger
im not really a metal guy, so im none to happy with mine

PROS:
-stays in tune for a hella long time
-able to do crazy bends (not a necessity for me)
-strings rarely break (this i like)

CONS:
-real pain to put on new strings
-i feel like it kills sustain

~b

its not that big of a pain to put new strings. It seriously takes me 2-5 minutes to get it back to functioning again. hardly a pain.

sustain is only lessened to a small degree. but with the way the bridge is designed it can still hold up sustain wise to alot of string through guitar/bridge designs.(at least this is the case with the egde's, lo pro;s and edge pro family. as for normal ofr's like you get on ltds and esps. i find that sustain is cut more than edge bridges)
Quote by stinger12345
You think that'll end up being cheaper than the extra $150-200?

yeah.. you need someone to carve the guitar (sometimes this kills the tone)

and the parts + installation = around 100-150dll

check first..

the guitar tec's generally they have a 20% price increase that you can lower by negotiation ..
Opus Pocus =]
Quote by josuetijuana
if you're feeling cheap.. buy it without the floyd and then go to a guitar tec and he'll do you the upgrade

The upgrade with routing and OFR will cost at least $300.
I do play metal and rock, but I also play jazz. I'm pretty use to the hardtail, too. So I have bad feeling going back to the tremolo style bridge might be a little frustrating. I played my guitar teacher's guitar with a floyd, I pressed the bridge down a lot.

But I'm not sure if I'll get a floyd. I like being able to stay in tune, but then again, I tune my guitar in a daily basis. It's not that my cheap Dean guitar doesn't stay in tune, I'm just a freak when it comes to tuning, and to me, if one string is out of tune, the other 5 are out of tune, too.

I can go 3 or 4 days without tuning the Dean though. I play drop tunings a lot, so that sorta why.
Honestly, I would get it. You can always make it just like a hardtail by blocking and removing the handle, that makes a great bridge that stays in tune. But really, ask them to set it up perfectly before you will buy it and just get used to it, thank me in a few months.(or curse me)
Quote by HelpMeOut111
@ChordMonger...

CONS:

Yeah, I change tunings quite alot myself, so Floyd was a turn off.

It's not impossible, just time-consuming.

You could always get a non-recessed floyd so it's easy to tune.
i wouldnt get the floyd b/c unless u know u r gonna use it alot than it will be a waste of money. and retuning every now and then is a small price 2 pay.
Quote by mexican_shred
its not that big of a pain to put new strings. It seriously takes me 2-5 minutes to get it back to functioning again. hardly a pain.

sustain is only lessened to a small degree. but with the way the bridge is designed it can still hold up sustain wise to alot of string through guitar/bridge designs.(at least this is the case with the egde's, lo pro;s and edge pro family. as for normal ofr's like you get on ltds and esps. i find that sustain is cut more than edge bridges)

from stratch, it takes a long time

and i dont have an edge, hence i find notes just tend to die on me
~b
Well for playing guitar for over a year, I'm not bad. I can shred faster than a lot of my friends that play guitar (with theory incorporated) and improv very well, with chord and scale changes.

I do a lot of bends and tremolo pickings for "fancy" techniques, but I'm not really sure if I'd use the FR a lot. I mean, I would have two guitars and if I were to do some gigging, I could have the FR in one tuning and my Dean in another. But most Freshmen in high school aren't even coming close to getting a 2nd guitar and actually I'm on my 3rd, but I sold my first guitar, which was a Fender Starcaster.

If I could get a strat style tremolo, I could see myself using that way more. Mainly because it's easy... and right there.
Quote by ChordMonger
from stratch, it takes a long time

and i dont have an edge, hence i find notes just tend to die on me
~b

Even when i changed the pups on my rg770, restringing them all only took 7 minutes. If you are taking off all the strings or alot of them at once, you have to be smart and raise the bridge and put something underneath it to keep the same spring tension.
When you have a tremolo, it also affects your bending. If you bend, all the strings go flat. You have to bend farther to reach the proper pitch and double stops are a lot harder. That mixed with the difficulty tuning make it more hassle for what you use it for. A lot of people that have Floyds in metal bands don't even use them. You're not going to use it that often. It's fun the first week when you have it to just mess around with it, and then you realize how unnecessary it is and it's not something that sounds good. You use it to do some cool effects sparingly. Is it worth extra cash, tuning hassle, loss of sustain and tone, and bending difficulty? Probably not. I have to admit that they look cool though and superstrats look naked without them. When it comes down to it, the only trems I would recommend are Edge Zeros and Edge ZRs because they don't suffer from a lot of those things. And vintage trems aren't that great either. You still lose sustain and tone, and tuning them can be difficult but not as much trouble as a Floyd. I've been playing for 5 years and but I've only been playing trem equipped guitars for a year and a half. My main guitars are a strat and an RG. I don't even bother using the strat trem at all. I tightened the springs all the way down and I only put the bar in for aesthetic purposes. I use the RG trem only because I have it and feel like I should. I don't think it adds anything musically. It's just a fun effect. I say don't get it.
Jelifish, you're great.

Since I bend a lot (kinda far too, the pitch is often equal to the next fret or fret after), getting use to pulling up the tremolo bar would probably kill me.

By the way, which gets more sustain, string-thru body with tune-o-matic bridge or a TonePros locking Tune-o-Matic bridge?
I have no need for a Floyd and really think its just a pain. So I just mess with floyds at guitar center
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Jelifish, you're great.

Since I bend a lot (kinda far too, the pitch is often equal to the next fret or fret after), getting use to pulling up the tremolo bar would probably kill me.

By the way, which gets more sustain, string-thru body with tune-o-matic bridge or a TonePros locking Tune-o-Matic bridge?

the first one from i can tell with my guitars.
TonePros "locking" Tune-o-matic bridge gives me the impression that it stays in tune better, is this true?

With a bit of compression, sustain can be made nearly endless, so MEH on that.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
TonePros "locking" Tune-o-matic bridge gives me the impression that it stays in tune better, is this true?

With a bit of compression, sustain can be made nearly endless, so MEH on that.

sustain at least with playing an electric is also affected with your position from your amp. Take santana for example, he has a certain spot on stage where he stands where he's able to get "infinite" sustain.

The both are about the same tuning stability imo. with my ltd, les paul and v i always had the same tunining problems as with my schecter. The LTD and les paul and V prob stayed a tiny bit longer in tune but i still would always have to adjust every now and then
Thanks everyone who helped me out.

I'm just hoping that the EC-1000 will be around for another year, unless something equal or better comes out. I mean, it IS ESP, who are probably the masters at milking body styles and series, next to Gibson.
I'm so used to a Floyd bar that I end up doing "air" whammies when I play a Gibson.
Quote by BobDetroit
I'm so used to a Floyd bar that I end up doing "air" whammies when I play a Gibson.

lol, me too, when i play a hardtail I really miss it.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Thanks everyone who helped me out.

I'm just hoping that the EC-1000 will be around for another year, unless something equal or better comes out. I mean, it IS ESP, who are probably the masters at milking body styles and series, next to Gibson.

the ec-1000 i played on thursday was very nice. It had a nice neck and sustain. The viper and kh's i played though where less than par on all of those Good luck
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Jelifish, you're great.

Bending up a half or whole step isn't that much, really. I have no problems bending or doing double stops on my floating trem. If it's much more difficult, i don't notice it. Even if it is that much harder, it's good for building finger strength. You don't need to pull up on the bar to compensate, that's just stupid (no offense).

If it's really an issue you can put heavier gauge strings on and add a spring or two. The trem won't be as prone to changing pitch when you bend and such, because there is more force pushing and pulling and therefore it takes more force to get it far enough one way to notice the change in pitch. However it will somewhat limit the range of the strings. I put .011's on my non-recessed floyd guitar and the higher string tension makes the strings noticeably less responsive to the trem. I can still divebomb and dump the trem and such, but the strings don't tend to get insanely flappy like they did when i had .09s on it.
I'm afraid to bend much further. So cut me some slack! Besides, nothing beats ending jazzy blues improv solo with a nice bend up from the 8 to 9 (obviously a 2) or something similar. Lol.

I use .10 strings. Period. Nothing thicker, nothing thinner. I strongly dislike thicker strings (mainly because the spacing between strings becomes smaller) and thinner strings because they feel so... nonexistent.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

Two frets dude....? EVH solos are like what, five frets? No bar, I just bend 'em.
Page 1 of 2