Page 1 of 2
So Guys,

This is my third thread already and I hope you won't mind. So, here's my dilemma, I played an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (430 eur) and an Epiphone LEs Paul Ultra (499 eur)

and I was wondering, is the Ultra really that better? It sure is lighter!!
I played them both, they both sounded great. All I can say.

Amp info: I don't really know, had a thread on that, ended up even more confused , sound and budget wise, so I will be spending about 150 for that one, just no Line 6 Spiders!! I hate those, played 'em, they sucked.

thanks guys, It is greatly appreciated.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 18, 2009,
Well there is no difference in hardware at all, the only difference is that the Ultra has a chambered body making it lighter. Personally my Gibson is not chambered and I think it sounds better, buts thats just my opinion. That seems to be the only difference between the two and I don't know if that's worth the extra 69 Euros.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
I'm not a big fan of the Ultra's. I would go with the Standard. Make sure you PLAY BOTH OF THEM THROUGH THE AMP YOU HAVE AT HOME. Then decide which sounds better and which you like better.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
yeah, well and the ultra has a better paint job, but I don't know if that justifies the extra 70 euros, it's called midnight blue or something.

http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/images/large/Epiphone%20LP%20Ultra%20II%20MEB.jpg

instead of a cherry sunburst.

But, then again, the sunburst is old school(?!?) :P

God, I just can't make up my mind!
Vox VT30
Quote by JayT44
I'm not a big fan of the Ultra's. I would go with the Standard. Make sure you PLAY BOTH OF THEM THROUGH THE AMP YOU HAVE AT HOME. Then decide which sounds better and which you like better.

haha, don't have an amp, getting a roland micro cube or go Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15 not sure. Vox might be too expensive.
Vox VT30
Quote by darkravers009
haha, don't have an amp, getting a roland micro cube or go Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15 not sure. Vox might be too expensive.

What type of music do you play? What is your amp budget?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
^Id get the micro cube if I were you.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

The ultra is lighter because its chambered, so if your in a band and gigging or play standing for long periods of time, it will probably be better. However, if you sit down mostly when you play, aren't gigging or in a band, or don't really care about the weight, the standard is gonna have a wider range of tone, and IMO a better one overall, but the differance is not huge. The paint job on the ultra is better though.
tl;dr - If weight is an issue, go with the ultra, if it isn't, go with the standard.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by JayT44
What type of music do you play? What is your amp budget?

amp budget is pretty much 150 euros. I know , it isn't a lot of money, first amp anyway.

musical prefrence, Brian May, Carlos Santana, Slash, Van halen and a bit of jeff beck.
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by darkravers009
amp budget is pretty much 150 euros. I know not much, first amp anyway.

Go with a vox or a roland cube, both of those are perfect for first time amps, and there are a couple choices with the vox.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by jking948
The ultra is lighter because its chambered, so if your in a band and gigging or play standing for long periods of time, it will probably be better. However, if you sit down mostly when you play, aren't gigging or in a band, or don't really care about the weight, the standard is gonna have a wider range of tone, and IMO a better one overall, but the differance is not huge. The paint job on the ultra is better though.
tl;dr - If weight is an issue, go with the ultra, if it isn't, go with the standard.

yeah, well I don't play in a band and stuff, but I really think the weight isn't such a big of a deal really, people say it's heavy, well they should feel my hand made spanish guitar, they'll colaps on stage in the middle of a 2 and a half minute song:P
Vox VT30
Quote by darkravers009
yeah, well I don't play in a band and stuff, but I really think the weight isn't such a big of a deal really, people say it's heavy, well they should feel my hand made spanish guitar, they'll colaps on stage in the middle of a 2 and a half minute song:P

Well if weight isn't an issue I would go with the standard. Guitars lose a little tone when they are chambered. Not saying the ultra isn't a good guitar, it is one of the best for the money, but it isn't worth the extra cash.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by jking948
Well if weight isn't an issue I would go with the standard. Guitars lose a little tone when they are chambered. Not saying the ultra isn't a good guitar, it is one of the best for the money, but it isn't worth the extra cash.

thanks, then a LP standard it will be, last question tough, should I get the roland micro cube or the Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15?

everyone thanks^^
Vox VT30
Quote by darkravers009
thanks, then a LP standard it will be, last question tough, should I get the roland micro cube or the Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15?

everyone thanks^^

the other amp I would look at if I were you would be

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065
great cleans, if you have some more money you could buy a distortion pedal for it, but if not then I would go with the Roland Micro Cube for sure.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
The Ultra isn't just chambered - it's nearly entire hollow. A few years ago, Epi made a guitar called the Les Paul ES that was mostly hollow with two f-holes. The Ultra and Ultra-II use the same hollow routing pattern as the LP ES had, only they don't have the f-holes.
This means that wihle yes, the Ultra and Ultra-II are about a third lighter than the Standards, it also means they have a deeper and thicker tone, which runs more risk of getting muddy and indistinct. Considering that Epis can already suffer from being too thick-toned, a lot of people will find the Ultra and Ultra-II will be too thick-toned.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by jking948
the other amp I would look at if I were you would be

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065
great cleans, if you have some more money you could buy a distortion pedal for it, but if not then I would go with the Roland Micro Cube for sure.

is the roland more of a metal ish thing, because, if so, I'll take the vox, I wan't good clean sounds and effects, I'll use a pedal or something in the future, not a big thing, just wan't to get those sounds, like Bryan May, Santana, Beck and Slash:P
Vox VT30
Quote by MrFlibble
The Ultra isn't just chambered - it's nearly entire hollow. A few years ago, Epi made a guitar called the Les Paul ES that was mostly hollow with two f-holes. The Ultra and Ultra-II use the same hollow routing pattern as the LP ES had, only they don't have the f-holes.
This means that wihle yes, the Ultra and Ultra-II are about a third lighter than the Standards, it also means they have a deeper and thicker tone, which runs more risk of getting muddy and indistinct. Considering that Epis can already suffer from being too thick-toned, a lot of people will find the Ultra and Ultra-II will be too thick-toned.

+1

MrFlibble knows his sh*t

TS, i'd go with the standard.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by darkravers009
is the roland more of a metal ish thing, because, if so, I'll take the vox, I wan't good clean sounds and effects, I'll use a pedal or something in the future, not a big thing, just wan't to get those sounds, like Bryan May, Santana, Beck and Slash:P

I personally don't like Roland's all that much... I'd take the Vox if I were you. It would sound better for the genre's you want to play. Your decision not mine though.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
If i were you i would get a Tokai cause you can pick a decent one up for like £200 (dunno how much that would be in euros) and they have a better look and sound than an Epiphone and some sound exactly like a Gibson cause i have put mine through many types of amps and i have gotten the Slash and Brian May sound and some Epiphone aren't made out of proper Les Paul materials cause i bought and Epiphone Les Paul Custom and it was made out of alder plus i bought it straight from them through a guitar store. So yeah get a Tokai.
Quote by les-paul-92
If i were you i would get a Tokai cause you can pick a decent one up for like £200 (dunno how much that would be in euros) and they have a better look and sound than an Epiphone and some sound exactly like a Gibson cause i have put mine through many types of amps and i have gotten the Slash and Brian May sound and some Epiphone aren't made out of proper Les Paul materials cause i bought and Epiphone Les Paul Custom and it was made out of alder plus i bought it straight from them through a guitar store. So yeah get a Tokai.

BS! all Epi's except for the Specials are made out of Mahogany
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
BS! all Epi's except for the Specials are made out of Mahogany
Incorrect, the LP Junior model is also made of alder, and up until 2003 the LP-100, Studio and Standard had mahogany/alder/mahogany layered bodies. Customs always had mahogany bodies though so in this particular case, les-paul-92 is definitely wrong anyway.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You do realise that GAK haven't updated any of their descriptions (or even their stock count) in over two years?
Even still mine was half alder half mahogany so saying they havent changed their discriptions doesn't really defeat the point.
Quote by les-paul-92
Even still mine was half alder half mahogany so saying they havent changed their descriptions doesn't really defeat the point.
Give me the year your guitar was made, the factory it was made in, describe how you know it has alder in it and provide still image evidence of this. Then you'll have a leg to stand on.

Regardless, it does defeat the point, because your source of information is proven to be outdated and incorrect.
im supirsed nobodys mentioned the whole shadow pickup thing
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Oh yeah the acoustic pickup, that is pretty kl but don't you need two leads for it or summit like that.
Oh and no it doesn't defeat the point cause regardless i still had a les paul that was part alder. And i know it had alder cause i took it to Epiphone dealership and they said it was part Alder.
Last edited by les-paul-92 at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by les-paul-92
Oh and no it doesn't defeat the point cause regardless i still had a les paul that was part alder. And i know it had alder cause i took it to Epiphone dealership and they said it was part Alder.
None of this holds water, you might as well be quoting GA... oh, right. You already did that.

I repeat what I said previously.

Quote by steve!
im supirsed nobodys mentioned the whole shadow pickup thing
That's the Ultra-II, not the Ultra.
For god sake stop picking at the smallest mistakes ok he said ultra but i think people know he said ultra 2 because it's only the ultra 2 that have an acoustic pickup. And it does hold my water retard cause epiphone make a Les Paul with Alder ok? that was my point Epiphone made some Les Paul Customs that was part Alder.
No they haven't though. They have never made a single Les Paul Custom with alder in it. That's an indisputable fact.
On the amp subject, I dont know about the Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15 because I never heard of it, but the micro cube is great, I've tried one before(either a micro or just a plain cube, dont remember) but it was EPIC! So ya, thats what I have to say about that.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by darkravers009

The Roland is a good amp for the price, but it is definetly a heavier amp. The vox will give you the cleans you want for sure, and maybe later on buy an overdrive or distortion pedal.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
They have made one with Alder because i have talked to many guitar shop owners who pretty disgusted at the fact that Epiphone is possibaly one of the worst makes of guitar, they made like what 3 decent models. anyway that's the end of that.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Vox VT30
Yeah Tokai's are amazing guitars, you could get the cheapest model which would be about £200 and it would be better than an Epiphone standard but the only thing is some can be made outta Basswood but I've got one made outta Basswood and it sounds awesome but in my opion none of the Epiphones Lp's come up to the standard of a Tokai in sound and look. But i worked out a sorta scale like thing so:

£200 Tokai as good as an Epiphone Les Paul Custom

£400 Tokai as good as an Gibson Les Paul Studio

£600 - £700 Tokai as good as an Gibson Les Paul Standard

£1000+ Tokai as good as a Gibson Les Paul Custom

And i worked that out because i used to work in a guitar store that sold Tokai and Gibson.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by Tokai09
Yeah Tokai's are amazing guitars, you could get the cheapest model which would be about £200 and it would be better than an Epiphone standard but the only thing is some can be made outta Basswood but I've got one made outta Basswood and it sounds awesome but in my opion none of the Epiphones Lp's come up to the standard of a Tokai in sound and look. But i worked out a sorta scale like thing so:

£200 Tokai as good as an Epiphone Les Paul Custom

£400 Tokai as good as an Gibson Les Paul Studio

£600 - £700 Tokai as good as an Gibson Les Paul Standard

£1000+ Tokai as good as a Gibson Les Paul Custom

And i worked that out because i used to work in a guitar store that sold Tokai and Gibson.

tokai jap models ftw
im thinking of getting a tokai sg for 500 quid its so pretty lol
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Page 1 of 2