Page 1 of 3
Okay, so I'm going to my first ever festival- Sonisphere!
Was hoping some veterans had some advice/ dos and dont's, and some awesome stories!!
Quote by Surfer Rosa
Babywipes and a lot of alcohol.

Yeah, I think alcohol is in order.
Bring weed. Don't get caught.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
+1 on alcohol and baby wipes.

Bring money, and don't pack **** that you don't need, it'll just take up valuable alcohol space.

Keep your valuables on you at all times, and don't take expensive phones/cameras. Take the crappy old one from the back of your cupboard.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
From a thread I made last year

Quote by Me
1) A tent
... Duh.
Get a decently sized tent, and don't for the love of God get a two man tent and then try to fit two people in it. Remember that you'll have bags and stuff and you might want to move at some point. I reckon bringing a 3/4 man tent for 2 people is wise, I'm open to correction on this one.
Also, practice setting up your tent before you go, you don't want to be standing there like a Gob****e figuring out that you're missing a pole and a tent peg when you get there.
Finally, try to get a good spot for your tent. Near the portaloos is a bad idea, I can't emphasize that enough. Don't go anywhere near them. You are liable to wake up in a river of poo and when the lorries come to empty then early in the morning the smell is awful. For the same reason don't be too near a ditch, you tent is more likely to get peed on. Near the path is also a bad idea as it makes you more of a target for thieves. Try to get a nice spot on relatively high ground, it'll save you from flooding.

2) A sleeping bag, blankets, Something to rest your head on, an inflatable mattress if you're a pussy
This one's fairly obvious, you want a place to sleep and you'll want to be reasonably warm and comfortable.

3) Babywipes, deodorant, liquid toothpaste, Hat/hair ties/dry shampoo (girls )
The first is essential as for the 2/3 days these will pretty much be your only shower.
Make it a heavy duty deodorant.
Liquid toothpaste because you'll never remember to bring water back with you when you're hammered and brushing your teeth with vodka isn't as cool as it sounds.
The last ones are for your hair, just wear a hat or tie it back and if you really really must then bring some dry shampoo.

4) Something shiny or distinctive (flag?) to tape to the top of your tent
This one's because all the tents will look the same, especially late at night (I'm trying to find a glow in the dark one). I highlight tape because some knob will invariably try to steal it.

5) Toilet paper, disinfectant hand-gel

The former because they probably won't have any, unless you're in Glastonbury and even then it's better to be safe than sorry and the latter because the portaloos will give you aids by day three.

6)A torch
For if you want to be able to find your way home at night. Also, bring batteries for it.
Or get a torch that works by the energy it gets when you shake it

7) Some basic first aid stuff
Just 'cause.

8) Clothes
I.e. Wellies, something waterproof, nothing too expensive and some layers. Zips are preferable.
Also, underwear, socks and towels.
Lots of towels.

9) Food
You will be robbed if you try to buy too much food there. Bring some stuff you won't mind having to survive on for a few days, bars crisps etc.
If you must bring a little stove thing to boil your pot noodle on.
Suggestions here are very welcome actually.

10) Drink
I can't see you getting in with glass bottles so plastic is a must. Bring water.
In Ireland at least you won't get in with your own alcohol, or you won't if you're an idiot. Bring spirits in (empty) shampoo bottles and the like. Be creative.
Also take ones that you don't mind drinking warm.

11) Sunscreen
You probably won't need it but wouldn't it be a ****er if you did and didn't have it.

12) Padlock
Unfortunately this is becoming more and more needed as more and more people are robbing stuff from tents (and occasionally tents) and generally acting the maggot.
I recommend a small lock so that you can lock your tent and if someone tries to rob stuff from it they will probably just move on to the next one instead. The fact that it's small means it won't draw too much attention. Use it for while you're sleeping so no-one can come in and pee on you.
Ideally though don't bring too many valuables with you, no MP3 players or the like, and certainly don't leave them in your tent.

13) A disposable camera
Unless you're gonna be really careful with a good one.

14) Money and a Phone
Kept on you at all times, most places will have a place to charge your phone but be ready to queue.

15) Condoms
To make you look cool.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Nice list!!

I wonder, if I have Vodka in a Evian Bottle....or maybe a non clear orange juice bottle
Quote by Ur all $h1t
From a thread I made last year

this looks pretty perfect to me, the only things I'd disagree on are these:

drink: this clearly depends on the festival, because at Download they let you bring as much alcohol as you want, as long as it wasn't in glass bottles.

padlock: if you have a padlock (visible anyway) it just says to thieves that you are more likely to have something worth stealing, so they will slash your tent to get in. This means you lose your tent as well as what they steal. My tent is possible to zip from the inside in such a way that it can't be opened from the outside to ward of drunks while I'm asleep, see if you can get something like that.

Quote by jgbsmith
this looks pretty perfect to me, the only things I'd disagree on are these:

drink: this clearly depends on the festival, because at Download they let you bring as much alcohol as you want, as long as it wasn't in glass bottles.

T;was the same at Oxegen. I was misinformed
padlock: if you have a padlock (visible anyway) it just says to thieves that you are more likely to have something worth stealing, so they will slash your tent to get in. This means you lose your tent as well as what they steal. My tent is possible to zip from the inside in such a way that it can't be opened from the outside to ward of drunks while I'm asleep, see if you can get something like that
Ya, that's the other side of it. We brought one and painted it black (like the tent). It just means that opportunistic thieves won't bother. They'll just move onto the next tent, it's far simpler for them. Some people recommend a bright one so it's visible but I think that in that case you would attract thieves. If the lock is barely noticeable you get the best of both worlds.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by the1
As shallow as it may seem- getting laid at festivals a no no??

No, it happens. Lots.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
A guy I met on the bus to Download this year got laid 4 times in one day off of different girls. It definitely happens.

Hell, even I almost (long story) got laid at Download this year.

Ahhh, that's good.

Although I would wanna get it out of the way on the first day....could be manky otherwise...
Yes. Wash yo dick. I know it may sound weird to hear it, but nobody, and I mean nobody, digs nob-cheese.

that list pretty much sums up everything you need

i wouldnt say inflatable mattress is just for pussies though, they roll up easy and are amazing to pass out on
I wouldn't advice sex any later than friday night.. most people would have been there 2 nights in a dirty tent already :S
Sasquatch was the first festival i've been too. It was fun.... boy was it fun.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by the1

Yup same festival. Unfortunately I didn't get to see that dance party.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Boxes of red wine are a good idea for booze, they don't take up much space, weigh less than cans and you can drink it warm.

After some prick dived in to the side of my tent in Glasto this year I'd also reccomend taking some gaffa tape and possibly a roll of razor wire.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Take a cool bag, for food and beer. The cool bag I had was a life saver regarding keeping my sandwich ingredients nice. And trust me, your own sandwiches are amazing at festivals. Cheap, healthy and very filling. Also I took a penknife which turned out to be extremely useful for opening stuff, bodging tents and pure destruction! Best advice is not to take anything you would be upset about losing, because it is likely you wont come back with half the things you take.
I'd advise taking a taser to ward off those cunts who stand in the middle of the paths yelling "FREE HUGS"
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
One thing that is just in the interest of decency and the future of the particular festival you are going to is respecting the local area when it gets late. I personally go to the Cambridge Folk Festival every year (oh yeah I am hardcore) and the book you get sent is the considerate folkie guide which asks you keep the noise down after midnight since it is close to residential areas.

Not so much essential, but if people complain it's a risk to having one next year.

The only other thing has been said over and over, have fun!
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Condoms. Seriously, don't have unprotected sex at a festival. Leave anything valuable you don't really need at home. Also, a padlock! To lock your tent with when you leave it.
^ Padlocks are just making a target for thieves really. Its like putting up a sign saying "look I have valuables in here"

Keep all valuables on you at all times, wallet in your sleeping bag while you sleep etc.

Lots of bog roll. Keep some folded up in a pocket.

Water bottle with sports cap, stick a bit of shampoo in it. Leave out in sun to get warm - portable shower.
food-wise, i would say bring some so that you don't have to eat out all the time (unless you want to - its expensive though), but don't weigh yourself down with loads of crap - even if you bring a whole pantry with you, you will still invariably buy **** when you are drunk/hungover/all you friends are buying stuff etc

my usual festival staples are fruit (apples/oranges), cereal bars and sweet bread. filling, nutritious and appetising on a hangover (to me anyway). and they'll last. you won't eat like a king, but that means you'll get drunk quicker too!

edit: also, i would say just cut down to the essentials. the worst part of a festival is dragging all your **** across endless distances, so make this part easy on yourself. don't take many clothes or comforts, accept its a festival and you will be smelly and a bit uncomfortable for a few days, drink off the discomfort then revel in it when you get back home to lie in a comfortable bed watching tv and stuff
Last edited by SouthLondonSam at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Patrick786
Condoms. Seriously, don't have unprotected sex at a festival. Leave anything valuable you don't really need at home. Also, a padlock! To lock your tent with when you leave it.

been said on 1st page

if you take canned food, try n actually eat it, otherwise itll get left behind! (my personal experience from download 2009)

also, put on stupid amounts of sunscreen.
Working at the Wickerman and I'm putting things in working order to go to Burning Man next year. Should be fun. I go to alot of small folk festivals and stuff, I've never been to anything bigger than Wickerman.

All I can say is WELLIE BOOTS. 5 PAIRS.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Bring a helmet!
Yesterday the Sonisphere festival visited my town here in Hultsfred and while I was watching Metallica play someone tossed a bottle made of glass into a guy right next to me.. he got hurt really bad cus the bottle hit him in the back of his head so a couple of people had to carry him over to a first aid tent... This happend even though all bottles are forbidden inside the festival area.. the guy who tossed the bottle must have been a really ****ing dumbass >.<
KON KON ^^
Roll of gaffa tape. Can be used to solve most problems. Can be used to repair tents when they get damaged, or combined with some bog roll to make a very good plaster, or cover up and wounds you get.

This a a stout pair of boots to wear. Dont take them off, except to sleep and take a set of spare laces.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Quote by Nose Spray
Bring a helmet!
Yesterday the Sonisphere festival visited my town here in Hultsfred and while I was watching Metallica play someone tossed a bottle made of glass into a guy right next to me.. he got hurt really bad cus the bottle hit him in the back of his head so a couple of people had to carry him over to a first aid tent... This happend even though all bottles are forbidden inside the festival area.. the guy who tossed the bottle must have been a really ****ing dumbass >.<

Was it a good time? Im so excited!!
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Bring weed. Don't get caught.

You don't need to, it's like water at festivals. Hell, some guy at Glastonbury gave me a tenner's worth.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Drug thread.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Page 1 of 3