so, i started building pedals maybe a year or so ago, i qaalready had read through a very beginners electronics book (i knew what all the parts were, how they worked, etc) and ive built several pedals from either kits or sourcing my own parts to perfboard.

Also, ive been doing alot of pedal fixing and upgrading, that's what ive started to do recently and am really enjoying that, i just finished up my DS-1 mod (for now atleast) and already have buyers lined up for the first one and my next ones. apparently im halfway decent at this stuff

now that you know a little more about me, how do i improve? i would love to move on to something more complicated, but i dont know what. i feel like there is a HUGE gap between where i am now and where i would like to be (building my own tube amp designs). everything i see is either way below where i am now, or way to advanced.

are there any specific books i should read?

so i'll try to sum this up, i'll add more info as needed.

what i can do/knowledge i have-
build a pedal from a clear schematic
some basic knowledge on how to mod pedals for better sounds
basic understanding of how a pedal works

what i would like to be able to do-
read more complicated schematics
understand tubes better
know more about "if i change this part, it will make it sound more ___"
better understanding of how a pedal works
be able to create my own pedal designs
be able to create/build my own amp designs.

any suggestions on projects to do?

sorry for wall of text, any help is appreciated.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
erm if you wana make amps how about just make a normal amp without it being a tube one?
i know bugger all but better than saying nothing
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by ryand111
erm if you wana make amps how about just make a normal amp without it being a tube one?
i know bugger all but better than saying nothing

i just meant amps in general, i'd like to someday make tube amps though.

all the solid state amps ive seen are too simple (already done them) or way to complicated.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

oh well you could just go in the deep end and make something very tricky but take your time about it and make sure it doesnt cost toomuch just incase it goes uber tits up
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Designing your own SS amp would be good for you I think. Even it was just a 'Volume, gain' thingy.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
next step might be to start taking simple designs for either pedals or amps and modifying the hell out of them. take something like a simple amp, breadboard it and then start messing with some of the components. see what changing some of the bias resistors for the FET or tube does, see how changing bypass caps can change sound, try out different types of buffers, etc.

another idea would be to build a highly complicated pedal. this will help you read those complex schematics and get you into working with more components.

or if you would rather do something with amps, buy a valve junior (or other simple 5w tube amp) and go to town with mods. you will get to work with an amp, learn amp safety, figure out what types of components do what, and you will end up with something that should sound good and be tailored to your needs.

my last idea would be the same as ryand111's and go off the deep end. find a schematic of a good tube amp that isnt too simple and start building it slowly and carefully. pick something that you would want to keep so you end up with an amp you can use and show off.
well.. i'm not really looking at buying something brand new to tear apart, but i'll see if i can find a valve jr used if the price is right.

i'd prefer to do something where i got all the parts myself and such, though i have no problems with kits.

any suggestions on specific amps/pedals to do now? i like the idea of doing just a real simple SS, but im not sure where to begin on something like that, i mean i have a mental picture of how to sorta, but i doubt it will work.

thanks for all the help so far.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.