I am using a Peavey 6505+, My cab has 2 greenbacks, a V-30, and an Eminence Governor. I have a basic Jackson PS-4 with Active Duncans, an RG 7 with Dimarzio and have an Ibanez Prestge S with duncans halfway paid off. (That will be my main guitar)

I am currently trying to get a nice rack mix set up to helo my sound.

So far I only have a BBE 360 Sonic Maximizer wich is amazing btw, But now I need a noise supressor because of it.

I am looking into getting a Furman Power Conditioner, and an EQ as well.

My only thing is when it comes to equipment I am a noob, and just want a few pointers.

My sounds is decent right now. It may be the head itself but it just sounds a little too scratchy for me. I have messed with the gain and the eq's on the amp and can not get it to where i want.

I love the tone of bands like Misery Index, Black Dahlia, or even Nile/Hate Eternal, and thats what I am going for, Lots of gain, and thick lows but very clear and not scratchy.

Any feedback would be nice.

What will the EQ do for my sound? and what other rack gear would you guys recommend??
An EQ would be great, you just have to know how to use it. I'd get a TC G-Major for effects. It sounds great, especially for the $300 musiciansfriend.com has them for right now. And for gate, ISP Decimator, although the G-Major has one built in.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
With the EQ you can turn down some the higher (scratchy) frequencies. I would recommend you get the ISP decimator rack version to deal with the noise.

Have you adjusted the bias in the 6505? I heard they are biased very cold stock so changing that could also help.

Furman power conditioner
DBX rack EQ
ISP decimator prorack G
Wireless kit / TC Electronics G major + midi board
Rackmount tuner

ISP decimator is far superior to the G major noise gate.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jul 18, 2009,
Ok thanks, I have hear alot about the Decimator, is that actually an eq as well?? or just for the noise?

If no eq in there what other eq would you guys recommend?

And no I have not messed with the bias, ive heard that can be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.

Also have been thinking about ordering from euro tubes.
Quote by maddnotez
Ok thanks, I have hear alot about the Decimator, is that actually an eq as well?? or just for the noise?

If no eq in there what other eq would you guys recommend?

And no I have not messed with the bias, ive heard that can be dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.

Also have been thinking about ordering from euro tubes.

No, the ISP is not an EQ. If you want a floorbased EQ look into the MXR 10 band EQ.

Just have a pro bias it for you.
WTLTL 2011
Anyone have a Decimator for sale??? lol they are too expensive
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
Anyone have a Decimator for sale??? lol they are too expensive

Rack gear IS expensive. If you don't have the cash, stay away from racks lol.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
No, the ISP is not an EQ. If you want a floorbased EQ look into the MXR 10 band EQ.

Just have a pro bias it for you.

Kind of looking for Rack Eq's

I found a DOD 830 Series 2 Graphic EQ for 120.00

not sure if they are any good. Ive seen alot for around 100.00
But I dont know the difference in quality Eq's compared to cheapo's
Quote by maddnotez
Kind of looking for Rack Eq's

I found a DOD 830 Series 2 Graphic EQ for 120.00

not sure if they are any good. Ive seen alot for around 100.00
But I dont know the difference in quality Eq's compared to cheapo's

As with everything, trying is knowing. I used to have a 50 buck cheapo 2x15 band, sucked tone and created fizz. I liked the DBX EQs much better, but really you could just grab the MXR10 band which is EXCELLENT and place that in a try in the rack if you wanted to.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
As with everything, trying is knowing. I used to have a 50 buck cheapo 2x15 band, sucked tone and created fizz. I liked the DBX EQs much better, but really you could just grab the MXR10 band which is EXCELLENT and place that in a try in the rack if you wanted to.

Ill have to check it out, I probably wont need more than 10 anyway.

But I may get the decimator eventually, I do want nice stuff. Its worth the investment.

So lets say I get the decimator, find an eq I like, Use the BBE sonic maximizer and a furman power conditioner.

Is there any specific way, or order it should all best set up?
Quote by maddnotez
Ill have to check it out, I probably wont need more than 10 anyway.

But I may get the decimator eventually, I do want nice stuff. Its worth the investment.

So lets say I get the decimator, find an eq I like, Use the BBE sonic maximizer and a furman power conditioner.

Is there any specific way, or order it should all best set up?

Honestly, if you get a nice EQ you should just throw out that maximizer. It sounds cool at first..but after a while it'll just sound generic and an EQ will do you more good.

The ISP is currently the best noise suppressor around bar none. Very transparant. Very well worth it if you have a lot of noise.

Put the EQ in your loop if you just want to use it as EQ/volume boost, or in front of the amp if you want to maybe boost the preamp a bit for more saturation. Noise suppressors go very last in your chain in the effects loop...but the ISP has a special way of hooking it up so read the manual.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Honestly, if you get a nice EQ you should just throw out that maximizer. It sounds cool at first..but after a while it'll just sound generic and an EQ will do you more good.

The ISP is currently the best noise suppressor around bar none. Very transparant. Very well worth it if you have a lot of noise.

Put the EQ in your loop if you just want to use it as EQ/volume boost, or in front of the amp if you want to maybe boost the preamp a bit for more saturation. Noise suppressors go very last in your chain in the effects loop...but the ISP has a special way of hooking it up so read the manual.

Ok thanks, i appreciate the feedback (not the feedback from my amp),
but the only reason I get noise is actually from using the Maximizer, but man throw it out?? It sounds amazing!!!

Will a good eq really give me that much of a boost, to where I wont need the BBE???
Yes, a good EQ will give you a boost to where you wont need the BBE, however it won't sound like the BBE. The BBE is a digital sound processor, not just an EQ. It separates the EQ and puts it out that way, whereas an EQ just modifies the sound.

I would suggest a Decimator G-String pedal over the ProRack G, unless you are planning on running 2 heads.

For an EQ, I am going to suggest a DBX 215. Great EQ's and not too badly priced either.

Furman or monster are the only way to go in power conditioning.
Quote by maddnotez
Ok thanks, i appreciate the feedback (not the feedback from my amp),
but the only reason I get noise is actually from using the Maximizer, but man throw it out?? It sounds amazing!!!

Will a good eq really give me that much of a boost, to where I wont need the BBE???

I think so, but yeah just get the EQ try and see for yourself. Your oppinion could well be different from mine. I got bored of the maximizer when I tried it. I put it in, thought wow this is amazing then a while later I tried it without and actually thought it sounded more natural without so I took it out.

I'd take an EQ over it any day, sounds more natural to me when used right. Surgical cuts here and there, surgical boosts here and there, and your amp will come to life.
WTLTL 2011
Ok thank you guys, \m/

will look into it...I have some research to do.