I just purchased a 180 watt Fender Deluxe and I'm not a fan of the onboard overdrive. It seems pretty thin and weak to me.

I'm looking for a reasonably priced OD pedal, but I have no idea what to look for and what's good. I just need something that has a thicker, more full sound than what's on the Deluxe.

Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
define reasonably priced.

Bad Monkey OD is nice

but so are the TS-9 and Maxon OD 808 etc, and then there's the custom stuff like centaur.
WTLTL 2011
maxon od
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Digitech Tone Driver Overdrive Distortion
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
^ I'm puzzled as well.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Either a ProCo Rat or a Marshall Jackhammer are great OD boxes.
Equipment:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Standard Telecaster
Fender 50th Anniversary Stratocaster
Guild D-40 Richie Havens Signature Model
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Quote by cornmancer
Why the hell did you get a 180 watt amp.

It's 180 watt power consumption.

40 watt tubes I believe.

My bad
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
Last edited by Maidenfan066 at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by Maidenfan066
It's 180 watt power consumption.

40 watt tubes I believe.

My bad

Oh, that would explain it. Is it the Hot Rod or Blues? Also, how much gain do you need from the pedal?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Oh, that would explain it. Is it the Hot Rod or Blues? Also, how much gain do you need from the pedal?

It's a Hot Rod.

And I want a good amount of gain. More than the amp itself can supply.

It seems like a good amp for blues style playing (and I do enjoy playing some blues/classic rock) but I want to get a more modern sound out of it as well.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
By modern I'm assuming you mean modern metal? For a budget pedal, I'd go Hardwire TL-2 ($99). For $219, you could go for a ZVex Vexter Box of Metal but at more than double the price, I don't know if you could justify it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
By modern I'm assuming you mean modern metal? For a budget pedal, I'd go Hardwire TL-2 ($99). For $219, you could go for a ZVex Vexter Box of Metal but at more than double the price, I don't know if you could justify it.

I don't play much metal at all actually.

The MXR M-115 looks pretty good. Good price too. Know anything about those?
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
It's a good enough pedal.

Check out the Hardwire SC-2 as well. Also, Big Muffs never hurt anyone
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I'm surprised nobody asked about your budget lol
So, what's your budget?
It also all depends on what sound you want to get out of the pedal, nice british-style crunch or darker distortion, or maybe something more like a fuzz?
Quote by Sguit
I'm surprised nobody asked about your budget lol
So, what's your budget?
It also all depends on what sound you want to get out of the pedal, nice british-style crunch or darker distortion, or maybe something more like a fuzz?

$100 is about as high as I want to go right now. MAYBE $150.

I wouldn't say I'm looking for a british style crunch. Probably a darker distortion. But I think I'm just going to have to try some different pedals and see what I like. Oh and I already have a Big Muff.

The problem is the local geetar store only sells boss and digitech and I couldn't find one I really like there.

I would like to order a few that I can try from Musicians Friend or some where on the internet and then send back the ones I don't like. I don't know if I can even do that or not but I don't know how else to test drive any pedals.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
marshall blues breaker 2, thats what i have my eye on and its only $65, with a surprising amount of gain on tap if needed.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by Maidenfan066

I would like to order a few that I can try from Musicians Friend or some where on the internet and then send back the ones I don't like. I don't know if I can even do that or not but I don't know how else to test drive any pedals.

I think you have about 10 days to return things to Musician's Friend after you get them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by AmericanParadox
Maxon OD-9 in a heartbeat

Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive in a Heartbeat!
Quote by Maidenfan066
$100 is about as high as I want to go right now. MAYBE $150.

Then your best option would be to look for a used one, used fulltone OCDs can be found in that price, also check Modtone, theyre making low-cost boutique quality pedals, never tried one but they look good and received good reviews from guitar magazines.
Quote by Sguit
Then your best option would be to look for a used one, used fulltone OCDs can be found in that price, also check Modtone, theyre making low-cost boutique quality pedals, never tried one but they look good and received good reviews from guitar magazines.

Ok, thanks for the help.
Nice beaver.

(. Y .) (. Y .)
I,ve done some sweet rythem work with....suprisingly, a Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. Its a good mix of OD and DIST, with a level adjsutment and a tone knob. A lot of people dont like them, but they sound good going over a pre-existing dirty channel, or crank it up and tone yourself to death with a good distortion.

This is alas, my Humble Opinion. You could give it a try, as they have the boss pedals at your shop, tell me what you think. I could be way off, but I like it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
If you're on a budget, Digitech Bad monkey.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
I have a hot rod deluxe and use an Ibanez TS-9 for OD, so I'd recommend trying that out.

If you don't like it then maybe a maxon or a fulltone overdrive?
***Short Sig***
Quote by CullenT
It's a good enough pedal.

Check out the Hardwire SC-2 as well. Also, Big Muffs never hurt anyone

*Throws 2 big muffs at CullenT.....Now you can't say big muffs never hurt anyone!!!
I'd reccomend a T.C. Electronic Vintage dual distortion. It does say vintage but to be honest it's voiced pretty modern, it's got plenty of gain and it's a distortion so if you're going to be putting it over the clean channel it will work a bit better. They were once selling for about 250dollars but if you look around you can get one for around 100 as the line has been discontinued
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Danelectro Cool Cat drive or fulltone OCD, tbh the bad monkey is meh.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head