After fussing about with some warped boards for a while I decided I needed to make a large and versatile thicknessing setup for my router.
I threw this together pretty quickly, but it works like a charm. I just used an 8 foot piece of 1 1/2" aluminum angle, some plywood and melamine.

I've flattened a couple of cupped tops with it by securing them to the table with some deep countersunk screws (placed strategically), and some shims under the high spots.

I thought this pic might inspire somebody to make one, this could easily replace a planer if you wanted to save some money.
I still use my planer whenever I can, but with a warped board or with figured wood, this is more useful and safer.
Quote by kurtcobain05199
i likes bikes
but I don't like spam. (be sure to check your email)

Yo Metalhead_28,

Doesn't this leave the surface a bit rough?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 18, 2009,
Very nice job Will! I love seeing people's homemade jigs, especially when they work just as well as this one does.
I may have to make myself one in the future.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
i like this, great idea.

i need to try this sometime.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Doesn't this leave the surface a bit rough?
You would be suprised how smooth routers can leave wood.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
You saw my post didn't you.

Lovely.

So, what precautions do you need to take, with regards to assembly and are you using a bowl cutter or what?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Absent Mind
You would be suprised how smooth routers can leave wood.
It's always been my experience that the edges are incredibly smooth but the part that's cut at the square end leaves marks.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I'm using a 1 1/2" straight cutting bit (flat bottom).

It really makes a mess though, some serious goggles are a must!
The aluminum sled is super stiff, but still I make sure not to bear down on the router...just hold it in place and glide it along. I take the final pass with just a slight skim and go slowly, the surface it leaves is perfectly smooth. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a gluing surface.
sounds cool. now all you need is some servo motors to drive your "sled" and run the router back and forth. ... and a processor to automate it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wonder if I should try this with my 1/2" bits : (

Does it work okay for blanks that are uneven on both sides? I mean, you just blast over one side, then flip it and then the cut on the next side is parallel.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I wonder if I should try this with my 1/2" bits : (

Does it work okay for blanks that are uneven on both sides? I mean, you just blast over one side, then flip it and then the cut on the next side is parallel.

From what I understand, you have to level it if it wobbles, wedges etc, then fix it down.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Yes, I use it to level uneven boards. I just shim under it to hold it level, and once you machine the first side, you can just lay it down flat for the other.
Quote by Metalhead_28
Yes, I use it to level uneven boards. I just shim under it to hold it level, and once you machine the first side, you can just lay it down flat for the other.

That's nice fluffy cream carpet to the left of the machine, by the way. Why none to the right or behind it?

When you say 1 1/2 inch flat bit, is that the width of the cuter or length of it?

This is what I heard was good and reduces the minimal lines that you can get.

Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani