I have £500 and I'm thinking of saving until Christmas so I'll have at the most £1300.

What are some good basses I can get? (Basses only cos I just got a new amp)

EDIT: I play everything from Blink 182 to Hatebreed. There isn't really any style that I don't play.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by Bassist Rising at Jul 18, 2009,
Fender P-Bass Special, they're £550 online so they're not THAT much above your budget, maybe try to find a second hand Warwick? I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I like the higher end import Deans (wich are none pointy) or you could try a Musicman SUB, if you fancey making the trip down to Stoke there are a couple on sale. Maybe a secton hand Spector would be worth a look, or a high end Traben might be up your street.
id suggest looking into fender, p bass special , now is that the one with the p bass pup in the neck, jazz in the bridge plus active electronics? if so, id suggest that, would be pretty good for nearly everything. also id suggest looking at the second hand market too, grab a great bargain on a warwick, musicman or high end fender.

if your willing to go up to £1300, you've got a good selection to choose from and most likely, be looking at a real sound investment for later life, make sure you play as many different models as you can to see what YOU feel is the best and sounds the best to your ears.
Musicman Stingray
Fender MIAs
Second hand Rickenbackers
Warwick of some kind.
Marcus Miller Sig V

Congratulations, you lucky bastard, you can afford all the best basses I want ¬_¬
When it comes to that kind of money, you need to make sure that the bass you're getting is the best for you. If you can afford to invest that kind of money, you can afford to go and try out every damn bass you can find. I'd never buy a bass that I hadn't tried, and with that budget, that becomes even more important.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
id suggest looking into fender, p bass special , now is that the one with the p bass pup in the neck, jazz in the bridge plus active electronics?

Yeah, that's the P-Bass Special, got mine about two weeks ago, fantastic bass, only problem was the poor set up, but I fixed that.

I was just thinking, in the higher prive bracket, you can just about get a Sandburg I think.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
When it comes to that kind of money, you need to make sure that the bass you're getting is the best for you. If you can afford to invest that kind of money, you can afford to go and try out every damn bass you can find. I'd never buy a bass that I hadn't tried, and with that budget, that becomes even more important.

*cough CUSTOM SHOP cough*

TS, There are lots of good basses, Laklands, Warwick, Ernie Balls, Fenders... Just remember to try stuff out, that's the most important part.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
In all fairness... it's a Corvette with frilly bits

It's a corvette made from sex and awesome...

But that reminds me, with that kind of money he could make a Warmoth bass and get exactly what he wants.
Fender Jaguar bass! Ive owned mine for about a year and a half and i love it to death. The most versatile bass i've ever played. Active and passive electronics (with active turned on it has its own bass/treble knobs), series/parallel switching, and an on/off switch for both the J-bass pickups. Tone and volume knobs. Jazz neck (which i personally prefer over the p-bass neck), and its a beauty to look at.
Quote by thedonutman
Spector Euro
Warwick Corvette
Warwick Streamer

Lakland 44-02/55-02
EBMM Stingray
EBMM Bongo
Sadowsky Metro

Hell, if he's willing to push out another £75 on his £1300, he can get a 5 string Infinity Set Neck 5, which aren't made anymore from GAK. The 4 string is about £1350. They've both been there for as long as I can remember, but they're damn fine instruments.
At around £1000 and over, you can't really get your hands on a truly bad bass (unless the guy making it really has it in for you). We suggest basses for you all day, but as has already been said, you need to go out and try some stuff. You've said what you play, but what sort of tone do you like and would use most often? What are your preferences for the bass? Amount of strings? Electronics? Playability? Weight?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Well, after a long talk with a friend at my local guitar shop I have been convinced that there is no point in spending that much money on a bass when I have such little experience. So after trying a damn near every bass in the shop I've compiled a list of my favourite ones. The problem is they're all the same price and I have no idea which one to choose. Here is the list

Fender Aerodyne Precision
Fender Aerodyne Jazz
Fender Jaguar
Music Man Ray 34
Music Man SB14
Warwick Corvette Standard 4

As I am friends with the owner of the shop he said he will give me any of these basses for £600.

I honestly cannot decide which one I want. Can anyone help?

Ibanez K5

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I wouldnt go for a likes of fender or in a way similiar brands at that price if you get me, you could a really good instrument and for maybe 1500 something amzing you know. Even getting a bass not a custom but customised to your specs would be viable.
Lakland
Warwick
Nordstrand
Some cheap status bass's.

Notice your in the Uk, keep an eye on basschat for some good high end bass's going.

Edit
just read your post.

Second hand MIA fenders, laklands and MMSR are all in your price range than, theres some tasty laklands, which i would now choose over fender any day going on some sites.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jul 19, 2009,
If it were me, I would pick either the Corvette or the Aerodyne, as they seem to be the most versatile out of the lot, and you'd need versatility. Could you please take into consideration what I said in my earlier post, as it would help make a more educated choice out of the list to help you. More specifically this bit:

"You've said what you play, but what sort of tone do you like and would use most often? What are your preferences for the bass? Amount of strings? Electronics? Playability? Weight?"
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
When you get into the £1000+ price range everything's 'good' it just gets into personal preference.

For example, before I bought my Bongo I played nearly every EBMM bass I could find in NYC and discovered I didn't personally like the 5 string spacing on them. They were still fantastic instruments I just didn't care for them.

As for not spending that much on an instrument, it's your call. But to me now owning several high end basses I find it hard to want to play anything lower end, of course there's some great instruments out there but the quality speaks for itself in most cases.

I'd seriously consider (a possibly used) Sadowsky Metro, I tried them side by side with the NYC's in Roger's shop, there's is really no difference in terms of sound or playability.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by fleajr_1412
"You've said what you play, but what sort of tone do you like and would use most often? What are your preferences for the bass? Amount of strings? Electronics? Playability? Weight?"

Well, I'm no tone freak as of yet, but a distinctive tone would be nice, the only problem being that it needs to remain versatile for damn near all genres (but I can always use my POD for help). The weight doesn't really bother me as I'm quite big so I should be fine. I'm not really sure about my preferences for electronics, but I think that 2 pickups are better than one. I don't really have a string preference either - I don't favour 5 string over 4 or vice versa (but I don't like 6ers). As for necks I like thinner necks but it does not make that much of a difference to me really.

I am in a Metal band and a Hard/Classic rock band. I'm thinking about a more mainstream Indie-ish band that my friend and I are contemplating. I'm more into the Hard/Classic rock band than the metal one so I would use my bass more for that style of music.

Ibanez K5

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom