Ive decided im getting a Wesley guitar mainly due to the positive reviews and great Amazon feedback plus the nice comment from the famous hollywood director JJ Abrams, that plus the videos on YouTube really sound and look good to me.

Firstly the Wesleys Dominator caught my attention because of its unusal shape and beautiful finish, the videos sound pretty good too.

Link: http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=44184&c=282695&i=240132110

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjEoRt5tkY0&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewesleyguitars%2Eco%2Euk%2Fstorefrontprofiles%2FDeluxeSFItemDetail%2Easpx%3Fsid%3D1%26sfid%3D44184%26c%3D282695%26i%3D240132110&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIb7vYiUTOE

Seccondly the WESLEY SILVERBURST "STEALTH DRAGON" looked and sounded really convincing, it looks like it would fit my Guns N Roses and Black Sabbath style really well.

Link: http://www.wesleyguitars.co.uk/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=44184&c=282695&i=242872040

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uAvukxEQM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7YfJ8tZBBE

So whats the better choice folks, bearing in mind this is my last ever "Which guitar Should I buy" thread, sorry for the previous ones but Ive already orderd a Stagg Flying V but id like a backup just incase. Im in to Hard Rock and im also leaning towards a little metal.

Thank-you so much!
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/11ioi8n.jpg[/IMG]
We all love the fail-tar!
I'm gonna say the dominator because the stealth dragon looks like a cheap piece of junk and they don't even say what wood it's made of, just "solid hardwood" which usually means it's really cheap wood maybe even plywood.

Plus if you're playing GnR and Sabbath i think the Dominator would be better for that music.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I'm gonna say the dominator because the stealth dragon looks like a cheap piece of junk and they don't even say what wood it's made of, just "solid hardwood" which usually means it's really cheap wood maybe even plywood.

Plus if you're playing GnR and Sabbath i think the Dominator would be better for that music.

Thanks for your suggestion, I sort of see now the cheapness in the Stealth Dragon.

The Dominator is more unique and eye catching too, plus its sorta retro = A big plus.

On the wesleys guitar site I dont know if the Dominator is the best there for less than a hundred quid but its certainly the most unique.

I must say though, that the blue version of Wesleys P-90 electric guiar on Amazon.co.uk is an absoloute beauty, that has some good reviews and comments aswell.

Im really confused, Id apprechiate every little more help.
It looks like a decent guitar. I wouldn't expect something amazing for so cheap though.

If you're getting into metal, i wouldn't recommend p-90 pickups. They're usually single coil pickups in a large, humbucker-sized housing.
Quote by Pac_man0123
It looks like a decent guitar. I wouldn't expect something amazing for so cheap though.

If you're getting into metal, i wouldn't recommend p-90 pickups. They're usually single coil pickups in a large, humbucker-sized housing.

Ok, ill take your advice.

Im staying well away from Les Pauls aswell, My cheap Encore copy has killed my life.
Having owned a Wesley acoustic and having played every other guitar in their range, I can safely tell you:
  • Their videos mean nothing, as you don't know what amp they're playing through, how it's being recorded, or even if the guitar has been left stock.
  • Wesley guitars are good considering they're under the £100 mark, but do realise that this is like saying Jade Goody was good looking by fugly fat chav standards. They may be good for the price but they're still painfully cheaply made so no matter what model you get, dont' expect quality. It'll look good and it will make a sound of some kind, that's all you can expect from them.
  • Their copies of more standard body types seem to be better than their more obscure styles. Whether this is because they'v ebeen making the traditional body styles for longer or they put more effort in on those or what, I don't know - all I know is their Strats, Teles and SGs have been noticably better than their weird surf guitars and the Dragon model. On that basis, I would suggest the Dominator is a better choice.
  • Don't touch any of their guitars that have vibrato bridges, unless you're happy to lock the bridge down and block it off. It won't hold tune worht a damn if you leave it free.
  • They almost always have some dodgy grounding and general wiring problems, be prepared to open the guitar up to rectify that.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Having owned a Wesley acoustic and having played every other guitar in their range, I can safely tell you:
  • Their videos mean nothing, as you don't know what amp they're playing through, how it's being recorded, or even if the guitar has been left stock.
  • Wesley guitars are good considering they're under the £100 mark, but do realise that this is like saying Jade Goody was good looking by fugly fat chav standards. They may be good for the price but they're still painfully cheaply made so no matter what model you get, dont' expect quality. It'll look good and it will make a sound of some kind, that's all you can expect from them.
  • Their copies of more standard body types seem to be better than their more obscure styles. Whether this is because they'v ebeen making the traditional body styles for longer or they put more effort in on those or what, I don't know - all I know is their Strats, Teles and SGs have been noticably better than their weird surf guitars and the Dragon model. On that basis, I would suggest the Dominator is a better choice.
  • Don't touch any of their guitars that have vibrato bridges, unless you're happy to lock the bridge down and block it off. It won't hold tune worht a damn if you leave it free.
  • They almost always have some dodgy grounding and general wiring problems, be prepared to open the guitar up to rectify that.

So in a nutshell your basically warning me that no matter what guitar I get from Wesley it will never hold tune and will always have some kind of problem, Im an absoloute intermediate at best and I dont feel confident modding in anyway.

I know you pay for quality, but when your as tight and as skint as me Youll have to make do =(
I still think you should save for a low end ESP, Ibanez, or Epiphone...
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Pretty much got it, but I do appreciate that money is tight for many people, and Wesley are very affordable.

I guess the point is this; so long as you don't have high expectations, Wesley make affordable, fun guitars that are certainly low quality but do basically get the job done. Just don't expect it to be any more than a beater guitar, something you can practise on but nothing more. They're fine for a beginner, they're adequate for an intermediate player to practise on. That's it. Just lower your expectations way down and they're passable.

Quote by leftyace
I still think you should save for a low end ESP, Ibanez, or Epiphone...
I would rather take a Wesley than an ESP-LTD 50 series or Epiphone LP Special-II. On the other hand an Epiphone LP-100, LP Studio, SG G-310 or an ESP-LTD 256 series guitar will be better than the Wesley. It just depends if you think you can justify the extra £100 or so/how important quality is. Right now I've got £130 in my bank account, andI'm self-emplyed so I don't know when I'll next get a paycheque, so if I had to buy a new cheap guitar to mess about with right now, I'd get the Wesley.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
Pretty much got it, but I do appreciate that money is tight for many people, and Wesley are very affordable.

I guess the point is this; so long as you don't have high expectations, Wesley make affordable, fun guitars that are certainly low quality but do basically get the job done. Just don't expect it to be any more than a beater guitar, something you can practise on but nothing more. They're fine for a beginner, they're adequate for an intermediate player to practise on. That's it. Just lower your expectations way down and they're passable.

So for a crappy school gig that a lot of people dont take seriously anyway a dominator is still way out of the question?

Would Wesleys be better than the Stagg Flying V f-300 Ive orderd.

Again thanks for all your advice so far.
Actually for a crap school concert that nobody cares about, I think the Dominator would be fine. Not good, but 'fine'. I'd still stay away from the Drgaon though, because of the vibrato bridge it has. They barely stay in tune for a few minutes unless you lock them down and block them off.

Better than the Stagg? Well I'm not too familiar with Stagg instruments, it's been a long time since I played one, but from what I remember I'd say the Stagg will probably be a better instrument, but the Wesley will be slightly better value for money. I think when you're still at school just playing to your classmates or whatever, the money you'll save from the Wesley will probably be better for you than the slightly better tone you'll get from the Stagg. When you're gigging properly, that's when you say sod the price and get the best thing you can afford - but for you at the moment, I think saving your money is probably more important.
Quote by MrFlibble
Actually for a crap school concert that nobody cares about, I think the Dominator would be fine. Not good, but 'fine'. I'd still stay away from the Drgaon though, because of the vibrato bridge it has. They barely stay in tune for a few minutes unless you lock them down and block them off.

Better than the Stagg? Well I'm not too familiar with Stagg instruments, it's been a long time since I played one, but from what I remember I'd say the Stagg will probably be a better instrument, but the Wesley will be slightly better value for money. I think when you're still at school just playing to your classmates or whatever, the money you'll save from the Wesley will probably be better for you than the slightly better tone you'll get from the Stagg. When you're gigging properly, that's when you say sod the price and get the best thing you can afford - but for you at the moment, I think saving your money is probably more important.

Ok well thanks for your advice, but Really all i have to do is convince my dad, if i dont convine him soon ill miss the opputunity all together, so id rather just get one asap.
Disagree with a Wesley over a LTD-50 series. I haven't played the guitars in question but at least with a LTD they list what your getting. "Humbucker pickups" isn't enough description for me, even when I'm buying a $140-ish guitar.

To the TS, I suggest going down to your local guitar shop/Guitar Center and finding a guitar just out of your guitar price range. Ask a salesperson to play it and if you like it say "This thing is awesome! *look at tag* aww man...its just out of my price range..." Chances are they'll lower the price enough for you to purchase it. This way you get a better guitar than your originally betting on without raising your limit too much.

This is the poor beginners way of getting a decent starter guitar.

Quote by leftyace
Disagree with a Wesley over a LTD-50 series. I haven't played the guitars in question but at least with a LTD they list what your getting. "Humbucker pickups" isn't enough description for me, even when I'm buying a $140-ish guitar.

To the TS, I suggest going down to your local guitar shop/Guitar Center and finding a guitar just out of your guitar price range. Ask a salesperson to play it and if you like it say "This thing is awesome! *look at tag* aww man...its just out of my price range..." Chances are they'll lower the price enough for you to purchase it. This way you get a better guitar than your originally betting on without raising your limit too much.

This is the poor beginners way of getting a decent starter guitar.

My mother suggested that idea, I think ill do just that. A nice saturday morning. NEXT WEEK.

If I dont see any nice guitars ill just get a Wesley.
Yea, its just a better idea to get a guitar you've actually played. If you have more than one day you can play the guitar, go home and read some (non-subjective) reviews on sites like UG, musiciansfriend, and guitar-center and if it has good reviews go back the next day to make the purchase.

Quote by leftyace
Ask a salesperson to play it and if you like it say "This thing is awesome! *look at tag* aww man...its just out of my price range..." Chances are they'll lower the price enough for you to purchase it.
I wish I had done this when I bought my first gear. I happily ponied up all £800 for the guitar I wanted without even trying to see if they could knock a bit off, and I only bothered to talk them down on the price of the amp... which was only £88 anyway. So I paid full whack for the guitar and my bad haggling only got me a tenner off the amp and a cable and a couple of picks for free. The real kicker was, the guitar had quite a few scratches on it and I now know I could have gotten at least £100 off the price, if not a bit more.

Yeah, I wasn't too smart with my money back then.
Well I see some errors here.
You can do a lot with a guitar. You could take that $100 guitar and easily make it $500 by replacing the tuners (throwing in some grovers?) and the pickups with some duncans or emg's.

Not to mention you could sell the stuff you took off for dirt cheap. Sell those humbuckers for $20 a piece (which is probably what they are worth) and someone would buy those in a flash. As for the tuners, I wouldn't gyp anyone like that.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well I see some errors here.
You can do a lot with a guitar. You could take that $100 guitar and easily make it $500 by replacing the tuners (throwing in some grovers?) and the pickups with some duncans or emg's.
Guitars don't work like that. There's more to a guitar than just it's tuners and it's pickups.

By far the most important aspect is the quality of the wood used and the core construction. These are things you can never upgrade and they're also the things that make the biggest impact on feel, reliability and tone.
Second to that is the basic set up, how good the fret work is, if everything's routed correctly, etc etc. These are things that can potentially be fixed but they are much more advanced and/or expensive to fix so there's no point.
Things like the bridges, pots, tuners, nut, jack and pickups are way down the list. They have far less impact on tone and the quality of the instrument than some people would have you believe. Yes, you could replace them all, but there's no point. By the time you replaced enough of that kind of stuff to make any difference, you could have just bought a better guitar in the first place with the money you spent on all those upgrades.

Upgrading is really a false economy. It's only worth it if you're only slightly tweaking an already good instrument or replacing something that's broken. Chucking a bunch of money at a cheap guitar is nothing but a waste.