hey mates i started playing shred and hope one day i could play like john 5.i been playing this lick (riff, called what you want) from michael angleo

||-----------------------------------|
||------------------------------------|
||--------------11-12-11--------------|
||---11-12-14------------14-12------| 3x

||----------------------------------------------------------------------|
||-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
||----------------11-12-14-12-11------12-11-----------11-------------|
||----11-12-14----------------------14---------14-12--------14-12-------| 4. time
||----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
||----------------------------------------------------------------------|

i played alternative picking..started at 80bmp now got it up to 115bpm in like 10days...and i just discovered economy picking..oh ****..should i start now again at 80bpm and do it with economy?or just leave it that way..i got used to the tempo of my metronome..but now for like some days i am stuck at 115bpm..even 120 is a pain in the ass..so should i go slower and do it alternative (or economy? and when how should i pick it) most of all i am motivated..so i wanted to know is this normal to get stuck so quick..?

help me please. cheers
Last edited by hitl at Jul 18, 2009,
Yes, it is normal to get stuck so quick. Slow down, and try again. Stay relaxed, with small movements from the wrist for your picking. As for your fretting hand, take a look at some of Freepower's videos on youtube.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
To be able to play like John 5, you should expect to be dedicating many hours for many years.

This, and also I wouldnt recommend starting with MAB licks. I tried using those licks from the Speed Kills 2 DVD. I would suggest something more simpler from youtube. Start with one string string exercises up/down the neck, then two, then three, ect.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
I've been told that a lot of people start to get stuck speed wise at around 120 bpm.
^ Very true. I was stuck there for several years. I could fudge my way up to 130-140 but it sounded like ass.

For a lot of people, it's kind of a threshold of how far you can go with bad technique. To go much faster, you've got to eliminate a lot of tension and excess motion. That was true for me also.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
To be able to play like John 5, you should expect to be dedicating many hours for many years.

wow..this helped alot!..wow..thanks i really didn't know that..wow

i pick from the wrist to skup strings i use my arm.can someone tell me how to pick that riff with economy picking?to get him right
don't use economy picking until you've mastered alternate. Don't do it. You'll end up with sloppy technique.